top questions-

jjm

Hi there- I'm flying down to Oklahoma City in a few weeks to look at three schools down there. I've made appointments with the admissions counselors there and I've generated a list of questions--one suggestion I had from an airline pilot, was to ask the school who the POI is (principle operating inspector) is and to give him/her a call to see what he/she thinks of the school.

I posted that here, b/c I think it is a really good suggestion that people could benefit from using.
However, could y'all (starting to use the lingo) help me out and post a few of your most important questions that you would recommend asking a school that you are considering going to?

This would really help me have a productive visit, since I probably won't go down there again until starting up training.

Thanks--
J

When we toured FL schools we checked out the area. I don't know if that's a factor for you but since it wasn't just my husband going to school but also me and my son that have to live there, the area was a big factor for us. So you might want to do some research on what your living situation will be, apartment price differences, utility and grocery costs, etc. MSN has a place you can compare cities like that.

I think paying up front was also a big factor for a lot of people because you don't want someone to take off with your money. So find out how the payments worked.

Other things we asked were, what was a typical day like, what kind of down time due to maintainance and weather, what happens if you need a day off or have an emergency, etc. The very best thing you can do though is talk to students, current and past. And find them on your own. Don't just talk to the one student that they planted in the hallway that has been coached on what answers to give.
smile.gif
HTH

Well ... if you can get a hold of a few of the students (best place is off campus) and ask them their opinions.

You could call the FSDO and see if they have any information on the school (safety, logged complaints, etc.)

Call the BBB and do some research on 'em.

Ask the school if they are 141 or 61. If they are both ask them how they differentiate the two.

Ask the average time (hours and months) it takes for a student to complete a phase (i.e. private, instrument) if they quote the FAA mins they're full of B.S.

There are plenty more ...

<<one suggestion I had from an airline pilot, was to ask the school who the POI is (principle operating inspector) is and to give him/her a call to see what he/she thinks of the school. >>

The POI would give you information such any violations, how many graduates they've had, verify certification etc. if they are a 141 school. He will most likely be unable to answer many questions about 61 schools because the official information he has on them will be limited. He will most likely avoid recommending or making other subjective comments about the school. The kind of information you're looking for is probably best found elsewhere.

Ray

Back