Top 10 General Avaition Airports

bps12

I remember seeing a list online that showed the top 10 GA fields in terms of operations some time ago. Does anybody have a link to where I can find this info. I'm working on a research project and this info would be of great assistance.

Thanks

Not sure of where a list is but these are some of the things I have heard....

The old Denver Int'l Airport..Stapleton? I've heard thats the busiest...I would think TEB would be.

I've also heard that ADS (Dallas Addison) is the busiest single runway GA airport in the country.

Last I heard ... Van Nuys is busiest GA airport. The Deer Valley (AZ) is second or third and Scottsdale as busiest single-runway.

ALL of the GA airports out here around PHX do well over 200,000 ops annually - and we have 8 airports under the Bravo shelf and about three more just outside it.

Tis a busy place.

Not Stapleton, that is a parking lot now. Centenial, which is SW of Denver ranks up there.

here is a list from several years back... Van Nuys is tops there as well:

Table 4.—The 10 Most Active General Aviation
Airports
a
Airport Annual operations
1. Van Nuys, CA . . . . . . . . . . . . . 590,758
2. Long Beach, CA . . . . . . . . . . .. 461,287
3. Santa Ana, CA . . . . . . . . . . . . . 396,029
4. Seattle-Boeing Field, WA. . . . .. 362,524
5. Oakland, CA . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 334,557
6. Tamiami, FL . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 301,363
7. Opa Locka, FL . . . . . . . . . . . . . .295,215
8. San Jose, CA. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 264,936
9. Pontiac, MI . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .238,532
10. Melbourne, FL. . . . . . . . . . . . . .229,138

Don't know about the FL airports, but it looks like on that list, only Van Nuys and Boeing Field are the only ones there without commercial passenger service.

And look at that, Van Nuys leads by a LOT!! ~130,000 above number 2! Wow!

It doesnt suprise me that Van Nuys is #1 in operations. All the news helos in LA are based there, and go in and out all day long. LA city Fire Dept has their flight ops there, and are flying all the time. Then you add all the light aircraft. All that is before you add the corp traffic at VNY and believe me I have never seen so many Gulfstreams, Challengers, and BBJ in one spot, as in VNY. Its really a very busy airport, but really cool one too.
cool.gif

The above list is really dated ... Opa Loka and Melbourne aren't anywhere near top 10 anymore. Orlando Executive is busier than both.

[ QUOTE ]
here is a list from several years back... Van Nuys is tops there as well:

[/ QUOTE ]

I ran a search at the link provided above and this is what I found:

Year total from 02-03
1. Van Nuys
2. Deer Valley
3. Orlando/Sanford
4. Prescott
5. Daytona Beach
6. Denver Centennial
7. Long Beach
8. Tulsa Riverside
9. Grand Forks
10. Oakland County Int'l (Pontiac, MI)

For the numbers (and rankings of all 485 airports included), go here (I hope this works, it should, anyways).

is SDL on there? WAAHHHHHhhhhhhaaaaa...definatley not on the top 10 housing developments list or city council list or....nah.. i won't go on...

sorry - couldn't resist...
tongue.gif

TEB in 2002 had 391,000 operations. With "O" airline traffic. That would place it well above #4.
I have not even heard of Pheonix Deer Valley. What's that all about?

I have a feeling that PRC, DAB, SFB etc are counting all the C172 traffic patterns. I would bet that TEB and APA are the busiest in terms of corporate traffic.

Run the link above for the "select 55" for 2002-2003 and TEB is ranked 41st in the country. Above any of the previously listed airports.

Thanks everybody, this is exactly the type of information I was looking for. After reading the thread and many other comments on the topic, I've got to ask what is the problem in Scottsdale. Do these people who live in these McMansions right under the approach path understand the function and purpose that an airport serves. What came first the houses or the airport?

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks everybody, this is exactly the type of information I was looking for. After reading the thread and many other comments on the topic, I've got to ask what is the problem in Scottsdale. Do these people who live in these McMansions right under the approach path understand the function and purpose that an airport serves. What came first the houses or the airport?

[/ QUOTE ]

For one thing, the military isn't welcome in there.

Sorting the list by only Itinerant GA gives some different results:

<font class="small">Code:</font><hr /><pre> 1. VNY 11. SNA
2. DAB 12. TEB
3. FXE 13. MYF
4. SFB 14. MMU
5. BFI 15. POC
6. DVT 16. FFZ
7. PDK 17. CRQ
8. LGB 18. PWK
9. APA 19. ADS
10. RVS 20. SAT
</pre><hr />