took a ride on fat albert today...

no JATO, and I don't know why, the official website says they use rocket boosters at selected air shows. They haven't used it here in New Orleans this weekend.

The JATO (technically RATO, since they are solid fueled units) unit supply is limited. The only US units that use it still, are Fat Albert, and the Air Force Reserve LC-130 Ski birds. They utilize it to aid in lift off from ice runways. But they are testing a new 8 blade prop similar to what the J model has, that will improve their T/O performance.

How do the throttles work with a JATO versus a regular takeoff? Are they configured a different way for the rockets to kick in?

Throttles are set based on TOLD info, for torques, essentially what we called a "max effort" takeoff.
The Firing of the rockets are independent of the throttles by flipping a guarded switch to arm them, and a fire button, it's been a while, but pretty sure it was located just below the condition levers on the copilots side of the center panel.
Also I believe they were rated at 1000 lbs thrust each, and were electronically controlled to fire all at once. Don't remember the burn time.

That is sweet and sounds like a fun ride. I talked to one of the Blue Angel mech and he said that the same thing about the rockets only being used at select airshows and then they just do a simulated JATO takeoff at the others. I've seen both and the JATO is a lot more impressive IMO. The said the JATO one are usually done at the bigger airshows. I know they do them when the are at KMTC (Selfridge ANG) but don't use them when they do the show down the road at KYIP (Ypsilanti). They haven't done the KMTC show in years which is kind of disappointing. It is a bigger show venue and they put on a better routine than the T-birds IMO.

Glad you had good time...Wish I was their with you.

Back