Too old?

flightman28

First off I would like to thank everyone for the great information and feedback I have perusing on this website! My situation is I am currently 28 y/o and will be 29 in late December. I am going to enroll in a ATC school this fall and hopefully graduate in May of 2011-I will 30 y/o. Will there be enough cushion time between May to December to get called down to OKC or am I ridding to thin of a line? By the way I would have pursued this earlier but decided to attend a University and get a bachelor degree in Architecture. But everyday honestly I see my passion lies in aviation. Please help? Should I continue with the ATC school or go the OTS route?

Why not do both? Pursue the CTI route but also apply to any PUBNATS that come out. That way, if you get picked up OTS, you'll save some money. If not, you can still get in when you graduate from the CTI program.

That makes sense, I guess I am just fearful of not getting a call from the PUBNATS announcements while in school, then when I graduate be pushing it too close. Do CTI graduates get hired quicker than OTS applicants?

Why not do both? Pursue the CTI route but also apply to any PUBNATS that come out. That way, if you get picked up OTS, you'll save some money. If not, you can still get in when you graduate from the CTI program.

I agree with that, but also ask the admissions advisor or a FAA Rep. about your situation as they might be able to give you a positive answer now regarding the timing. If you will be too old, go back to school anyway, and major in something other than ATC, but still apply to PUBNATS. That way no matter what happens you will have a shot at ATC and if it don't work you will still be working toward a degree.

It varies on what the staffing needs are and when the CTI opening appears and closes. My husband had CTI grads in his basic that had applied CTI and OTS and were hired OTS faster than they were CTI.

I know some people that were holding a TOL in under 6 months and have waited pver a year to get to OKC and I know others that waited a year for a TOL and then waited about 5-6 months to get to OKC. I don't think there really is a set time frame...just all depends on what facility you are picked up at!

Back