Too many RJ's?

Re: Too many RJ\'s?

I'd stay regionals stand a much better chance of surviving than some of the majors.

But nothing is guaranteed in aviation, that's for sure! I had chances to go to the following airlines:

Eastern
Braniff
Trans Texas Air
Pan Am
Midway
Vanguard
Air Florida

and so on ...

[ QUOTE ]
is that because customers don't like flying on them, and from a financial point of view that seems like a pretty stupid answer to be buying and operating more expensive aircraft to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

One of the most important things in this industry is the passenger's percieved sense of security. Average people think prop=death trap. Those of us better educated in the field know that the turboprops are just as safe as the regional jets, but we can tell the pax this countless times and it might not sink in. As far as the RJs being more expensive, you have to look long term. As the turboprop fleet ages, you'll start running into ADs and higher maintenance costs. So there is that problem to deal with. As a general rule, most TP have fewer seats than the RJ, so the ASM are lower. In order to keep the seat milege up, you would need to operate more a/c. Then there's the fuel efficiency and range of the RJ. Finally, most regionals are paid through their contracts with the major airlines. They really don't have to worry about costs per available seat mile since most get a flat rate anyway, and the tickets are sold at major airline prices. A lot of industry analysts (some of which I wonder how they tie their shoelaces in the mornings) think that Independence Air will flop b/c of the CASM/LCC price structure. It will be interesting to see if Independence will be able to profit with LCC prices and RJ costs. I think that will be the major challenge facing regionals if they have to strike out on their own.

[ QUOTE ]
It will be interesting to see if Independence will be able to profit with LCC prices and RJ costs. I think that will be the major challenge facing regionals if they have to strike out on their own.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. Keep in mind the only thing that prevents "regionals" from flying any airplane they want are union scope clauese. The pressures to get rid of scope clauses will be huge. And it will be a big issue within ALPA.

Most "mainline" ALPA guys view "regional" ALPA guys as their mortal enemies. They worry about RJ flying more than anything else and would hold a big party if every ALPA RJ pilot was on the street tomorrow.

Consider this. Mainline ALPA pilots, in general, cheer every time APA wins a victory over ALPA at American Eagle. They want to see APA defeat ALPA at American.

This is an attitude that will not sustain a national union. The RJ guys will reject the current "arrangement" that keeps them out of bigger jets. Then things really get interesting. As in more Independence Airs.

Dave

Surely if a route currently on RJ increases requirements to needing a mainline 737/MD80, etc. then the RJ will just be re-scheduled onto a new service to bring in more customers to the hub?

Well it is what I'd do!!

I have to say though I think ATL to ABE is a long run for an RJ. But that's what it was with Delta in Summer 2002. Also on that trip I flew a leg CVG - MSP on a 737. It was less than a third full, forget the worries about being stuck in the middle seat, it was more a case of "Do I get a whole row to myself?!!"

They re-allocated all the seating to the first 20 rows, and still had no more than 2 people per half row of 3. I now see that route is on an RJ - no surprises there then!!!

Perfect example of ths Us vs Them in the Mainline/RJ fight (at least from my point of view) is Delta Mainline/Comair. Technically, they are both owned by the same parent company, but they stab each other in the back over scope. Someone at Delta or Comair might have a bit more insight, this is just how I see it from the outside.

Back