Today's Flight: PIC and first passenger

DrBenny

Today\'s Flight: PIC and first passenger

I took up my first passenger today as a PPL. (My first flight after getting the ticket was that checkout in the "R.") I can't get over the fact that I'm a pilot (and I don't WANT to get over it!).

I've come full circle in that the person I took up today was the guy who introduced me to flying and to my teacher. He went up with me on my first flight, on a flight just before I soloed, and today, as my first passenger.

Originally, I wanted to build some XC time, but it was too hazy to venture too far, so we had a fun trip over to Easton for lunch. Awww, but it was great to be up in the air as PIC, baby!

PPL doesn't mean "Perfect Private Pilot," though. I was a bit nervous, for some reason. Though everything went quite smooth, here's the wierd part: both landings were greasers, but the flare that preceded each of them was a bit jerky and stage-by-stagey. Don't know why that was--the past two flights (the checkride and checkout in the "R") saw me doing smooth flares followed by greasers. Oh well, my passenger, who is also an IR pilot, said, "Hey, you had two nice soft touchdowns with good x-wind correction. What d'ya want!"

One fun part was after coming back, and taking out my logbook for CFI to fill out. Nope--I fill that out now!

Ben Myers, PP-ASEL

Enjoying every minute

Re: Today\'s Flight: PIC and first passenger

[ QUOTE ]
One fun part was after coming back, and taking out my logbook for CFI to fill out. Nope--I fill that out now!

[/ QUOTE ]Uh, you shoulda been doing that for your solo student flights too.

Nah--part of the post flight briefing. I wanted it discussed and signed by CFI. But then again, I'm finiky about those things.

Finicky? Solo flight as a student is PIC time and should be logged as such, and your CFI didn't need to sign those flights, but whatever. I'd make sure you got the PIC block filled in for those, though.

Yep--they're all marked as PIC. (And thanks for helping me spell the word, "finicky!")

I just so psyched being a "real" pilot. I wanted to do this for 30 years. Taking my first passenger really brought home the fact that I have finally done it!

Hey,

Thats sounds really great. Passengers! I got my license about a half a year ago and still no passengers (except for my instructor). I dont want to bring anxious people up with me, so I havent pushed the issue. Does anyone have any tips on getting people interested in going for a ride?

Happy Flying!

Wow! Me too!

I got my PPL last Thursday and this afternoon I took my younger brother flyin as my first passenger! We flew from W24 (Lynchburg Va) to CHO (Charlottesville, VA) We flew in N47281, a C152. It was an awesome flight. The Visibility was the best ive seen it all summer! It must have been atleast 35 miles!

Way to go man! The sky is ours to tame!

DeltaASA16

Congrats Adam! Now when are you going to come up to New York and give me a ride?
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone have any tips on getting people interested in going for a ride?

[/ QUOTE ]

Casually mention the fact that you're a pilot. If anyone wants to go up, it'll usually come out right then and there. Just remember that even if someone wants to fly with you, that dosen't automatically mean they're used to doing maneuvers!

So you don't recommend demonstrating a turning, power-on stall? j/k
wink.gif

Back