Today's flight--not sure how to rate it

DrBenny

Today\'s flight--not sure how to rate it

This was my fourth flight in the 182S. The trip was from FDK to DMW and back, just like the last time. The weather was hazy and windy with some gusts. I felt much more familiar in the cockpit, and am getting used to the big plane feel (and the room!).

Now, my last flight (last week) was back in the 172 out of BWI, and I had had some adjusting to do. Today, I had to adjust back. I don't know if something is wrong with me, but I am getting more nervous flying out of FDK. The traffic is just crazy, with gyroplanes, gliders, helicopters, jets, and even the occasional blimp, in addition to GA singles. There were just SO MANY people in the pattern when I really would have liked to find an inner peace!

Anyway, the flight got underway just fine. Cruise was so bumpy at 2,500' that I really felt it necessary to slow down to VA which I determined to be at around 110, at my weight. (I now realize a bit slower would have been better.) Haze. I hate it when you get haze AND winds. Acording to the briefer, I would be seing 35 kts on the nose, and comparing my GPS readout to my indicated airspeed, I could see that he was in the ballpark.

Getting into the pattern at DMW, things were smoother this time. Winds were at 15 kts, 40 degrees off the runway. First landing was soft enough, but I overcorrected for the crosswind, and drifted INTO the wind, a bit. I have to remember that 182s do not need as much correction as 172s! Also, I don't know what came over me, but instead of kicking out the crab, as I normally do, I decided to start the correction much earlier. Then, I flared a bit too early, and ended up a bit too nose high, and started that drift. Touchdown was good. B.

I did a full stop, and then went around for another landing. This time things were more stabilized, but I flared a bit too early again (meaning I ended up in a level attitude a few feet higher than I like). Crosswind correction was better and smoother this time, since I used my normal kickout method. Touchdown was best of the bunch. A-.

Going back to FDK, I got nervous again, as I was spotting traffic left and right. Got in the pattern, flew a stabilized approach. Landing here, I flared a bit high again. I think I'm psyched out about the 182s bad rap (newbies like me want to land on the nose), so I flare a bit too early or too fast. One problem with the approach was that I was a bit low when I turned final, and had a strong headwind, so I had to descend at 300 fpm, with considerable power. Not thinking, I pulled the power before the flare, and I felt the plane drop. That is why I flared fast to level. I think I should have pulled the power out once level. Touchdown was a bit firm, but on the mains. B.

All in all, a fun flight, but a bit nerve-racking with that traffic!!

Any thoughts on any of this?

Re: Today\'s flight--not sure how to rate it

Get used to high density, cause you're getting good experience on see and avoid and intermixing with varying types, rather than the "ease" of being the only one in the pattern at podunk airport. Keep ahead of the game, form a mental picture of the radio comm you hear, maintain your C3 comm, and keep your head on a swivel, and you should be fine.

Use the experience to your benefit, not worry about it to your detriment.

You didn't happen to see a Red white and blue Navajo with an English lady flying it at Fredrick did you?

[ QUOTE ]

Use the experience to your benefit, not worry about it to your detriment.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very nicely put. I will do that.

[ QUOTE ]
You didn't happen to see a Red white and blue Navajo with an English lady flying it at Fredrick did you?

[/ QUOTE ]Not today, no. I saw just about everything else, though!

[ QUOTE ]
Get used to high density, cause you're getting good experience on see and avoid and intermixing with varying types, rather than the "ease" of being the only one in the pattern at podunk airport.

[/ QUOTE ] You know, it is funny. 90% of my flying has been from a Class B airport--talk about high density!

The problem, as you pointed out, is one of attitude. In Class B, I feel more relaxed because of the radar and the control and the professionalism. The second I get my clearance into Bravo, I breathe a sigh of relief. This doesn't mean, of course, that I can let my scan slack off, so, again, it really is not different.

Sometimes I wish there was more traffic in my area. I fly out of a busy class D airport but many of the other apts in the area that are used for practice approaches have not tower. THe other plus that helps is in the Minneapolis area you will get vectors for any approaches unless you ask for "own nav". You came back safe, so chalk it up for great experience.

Back