To those who left their pilot job....

This..

I have a side business, my wife is self employed and makes much better money than I do, and I'm trying to get into another "side business."

I'll gladly take the #14 FO spot and just relax..

I don't know that I could continue to be an airline pilot without GA.. I love being able to fly who/how/when I want..

Spent .9 in a Super Viking crusing around CHS yesterday.

Spent .9 in a Super Viking crusing around CHS yesterday.

This is where it's at..

roll.jpg

As a guy who does not fly part 121 but for a 91, I think the grind of 121 and some 135 operators (and yes many 91ers) just wears down pilots. The flying is not "fun", it becomes a boring and routine job of predictability and pilots vs. management. I’ve talked to many 121 pilots and 100% of them say it is a hard, hard life! Whereas, I talk to (and I am one) part 91 pilot, and our biggest grip is that we wished we flew more! (most of us are salaried so it doesn’t really matter how much we fly)
I’ve really thought of going to the airlines, I have actually applied at a few, but thankfully I have not been asked to go!

Take away the cool uniform, and the size of the planes and what do you have. . it seems like not much! You do have prestige, but how far does that go after being furloughed a few times?

Anyway, there are lots of different paths to the upstairs . . . if you love flying, go find a local part 91 or good 135 operator to work for. . . to me, it is the best kept secrets in aviation!

I was in a busy FBO the other day, and everyone of the pilots getting out of the corp jets where all old guys. . a few had their golf bags with them! Heck, I had my fishing pole with me . .try that on your next 4 day trip in 121 world :)

I was in a busy FBO the other day, and everyone of the pilots getting out of the corp jets where all old guys. . a few had their golf bags with them! Heck, I had my fishing pole with me . .try that on your next 4 day trip in 121 world :)

Funny you said that because I just came in from the golf courses on my KTRI overnight. It is only a 3 day trip.

Well I have my thread in changing careers: http://forums.jetcareers.com/changing-careers/119190-train-conductor.html

It was a financial necessity. I don't really like it, more the attitude of the workers than the actual job. Feels like camping everyday a lot. However, on my days off I truly live. I have the cash and the benefits to do what I like, and I really enjoy that. When I was a CFI, I lived paycheck to paycheck just waiting for the next nice day to go flying. There wasn't an aspiration, just the grind. I know it can be better, but a lot of my collegues are in different areas of professional flying, and a lot of them have that same grind.

I do aspire to go back to school and go build uav's. Hopefully the railroad will pay for this. I do plan on staying here for at least 10 years and probably go mechanical management, but I enjoy the job, just not the collegues. There are so many things that can change a job.

When I worked for FedEx up here, I loved it. Hard job but the people around me loved aviation and getting a job done. The people in the next station tended to hate it. Just felt wore down and resented the company. The collegues you have make all the difference. I know many people from this site in real life that really do a great job. There are cliques, and it is your choice which one you join.

Think about where you want to be in 20 years. I want to live on the moon or mars and explore the galaxy. Now, that's far fetched, but uav technology will be exploring the cosmos in the next 20 years and I want to be there when it happens. It should also allow me to live comfortably. Not rich, but well.

As a guy who does not fly part 121 but for a 91, I think the grind of 121 and some 135 operators (and yes many 91ers) just wears down pilots. The flying is not "fun", it becomes a boring and routine job of predictability and pilots vs. management. I’ve talked to many 121 pilots and 100% of them say it is a hard, hard life! Whereas, I talk to (and I am one) part 91 pilot, and our biggest grip is that we wished we flew more! (most of us are salaried so it doesn’t really matter how much we fly)
I’ve really thought of going to the airlines, I have actually applied at a few, but thankfully I have not been asked to go!

Take away the cool uniform, and the size of the planes and what do you have. . it seems like not much! You do have prestige, but how far does that go after being furloughed a few times?

Anyway, there are lots of different paths to the upstairs . . . if you love flying, go find a local part 91 or good 135 operator to work for. . . to me, it is the best kept secrets in aviation!

In part 121 you get your job done and then you go home. You don't sit in a hotel room for days on end trying to keep yourself entertained.

In part 121 you get your job done and then you go home. You don't sit in a hotel room for days on end trying to keep yourself entertained.

except for a few days a year, I do a lot of out and backs or multi leg/day stops. Not nearly as much sitting around hotel rooms as one might thing. (of course right now, I'm on a 4 day trip sitting in CO. :)

It is all about timing. I have known two pilots in my life:

Pilot A: Gets hired in 2005 by ASA, today he is a captain and making close to 6 figures.

Pilot B: Gets hired by PSA in 2005, gets furloughed 13 months later and now is a police officer (his original career)

Myself: Made tons of money in real estate and hated doing it. Make dirt now, but thank god i get to sit in an airplane almost everyday & i am extremely happy. If i get worn out, i take few days off.

Literally everyone who starts ends up flying professional somewhere prior says, "I've always wanted to fly for a living". I don't think the statement that they "they don't really love flying" or that "they didn't live and breath it" are true with people that come and go into aviation. I think what changes is priorities. Some are content once they get that dream flying job and keep "liv'n it". Some decide they want to try something else or be home more. I say good for both people. Each had a desire and goal and went for it.

Seriously you live once. If you want to do 20 different things with your life go for it! I for one think the person who has done and experienced many things sounds alot more interesting than the one who hasn't. Besides just because someone doesn't fly professional or in heavy metal does that mean they don't love flying? Actually I would think the person that putts around VFR for fun is actually the real "free-bird" experiencing aviation rather than flying passengers/cargo. In the end do whatever makes you happy!

To make it through college, flight training, the early years of low rent time building, regional ground school and simulator training is testament enough that you love aviation. The real question can be how much do you love yourself? Aviation can be pretty harsh and costly. If you desire a balanced life it can be difficult. In the end all you might be left with is an empty apartment and one more paycheck.

Skyline

To make it through college, flight training, the early years of low rent time building, regional ground school and simulator training is testament enough that you love aviation. The real question can be how much do you love yourself? Aviation can be pretty harsh and costly. If you desire a balanced life it can be difficult. In the end all you might be left with is an empty apartment and one more paycheck.

Skyline

Good thing we all escape to JC when we have time off :)

Thanks for the replies. I would like to find an IT job but not sure how to go about it, only having a BS in Aviation Science.... 6 years, 2 regionals and little growth. There is a lot o low morale at my company and people are seeing the writing on the walls.

I'd never recomend anyone do flying unless they have a rock solid back up plan.

"The pilot shortage is right around the corner" :D

I hope it is.

Because I've literally (yes SeatClutcher, literally! :)) spent the last 20 years of my career rolling my eyes whenever I heard about the looming pilot shortage.

Of course you know it was FAPA->Air Inc->A Particular Aviation Consultant which all had a common spokesperson... but like Charlie Sheen said, bring it.

But we've got to work through the people that are qualified but skedaddled out of the profession for financial and lifestyle reasons first.

By August 1, 2013, pilots will have to hold an Airline Transport Pilot Certificate (and have 1500 hours total time) to be eligible to fly for an airline.

airline will have to open their wallet to attract pilots. Who want still work for 1500$ a month before tax when you can make 2x to 3 x more in part 135.

airline will have to open their wallet to attract pilots. Who want still work for 1500$ a month before tax when you can make 2x to 3 x more in part 135.

Sometimes it's not all about the money.

I'd love to make more money, but I won't be gone away from home more to do it. I could have a killer pay check flying a G5 but I'd be on call 24/7/365 almost. No thanks.

Back