To those thinking of getting out a big private loan

I think flying the sand box in a C-12 would be a good gig as long as you don't mind the tracer rounds:D. I'd jump all over that, flying around in a C12 beats driving around in a convoy.

Actually its pretty tough to hit an airplane without using up a lot of rounds, unless you got a shoulder fired SAM and even that a tough bet on a turboprop.

As far as life on a base downrange, it ain't that bad for civilian contractors, you can call home every night if you want, plus you have TV internet and snail mail. Things have changed a bit over there, unless your 11 Bullet catcher working out of an FOB

Take the money and run man, you might just like it, and you'll pay off your loans in no time. You want free of the debt or not:rawk:
By the way, thats tax free money up to about 80K a year for most folks, and thats a huge deal!!

Bill,
this is the route its looking like i will be taking. If my finances are managed correctly and the pay is what i am hearing from other pilots, i will be able to pay off the $150-200k+ pay back value of the loan (interest is a bitch) in roughly 3 to 4 years. The big thing i'm having the issue is, i can stay with the division i'm with now for another year and tough out a year of financial hell, and swap divisions as a captain in a A90 or C-12 and make double the money as i would an FO, if i was to go into that division now. Doing the later would allow me to pay off the same loan in about 2 years.

Doog,
according to casa, to transfer an ATP to a Casa ATP, its a matter of taking the casa equivalent of the FAA Instrument Written and an instrument flight exam. The Big issue is obtaining the permanent work visa. According to a few people (one of them is our chief pilot while working here in australia) who knows a few people high up in CASA, we (me and the other pilot could get a job ANYWHERE in australia), IF we were able to obtain all the necessary documents. Which from my research lately appears damn near impossible for a US pilot to get a permanent work visa for australia.

Bill,
this is the route its looking like i will be taking. If my finances are managed correctly and the pay is what i am hearing from other pilots, i will be able to pay off the $150-200k+ pay back value of the loan (interest is a bitch) in roughly 3 to 4 years. The big thing i'm having the issue is, i can stay with the division i'm with now for another year and tough out a year of financial hell, and swap divisions as a captain in a A90 or C-12 and make double the money as i would an FO, if i was to go into that division now. Doing the later would allow me to pay off the same loan in about 2 years.
How does that work for someone who isn't in the military? Is there an option to enter at 30? :confused:

Don't think he's in the military. Sounds like Dynamic to me. But even if he is, yes, you can get in at 30. Even the Corps is taking guys up to 29, last I heard. Whether it's a great idea is uh another discussion altogether. <tiptoes away from thread>

Don't think he's in the military. Sounds like Dynamic to me. But even if he is, yes, you can get in at 30. Even the Corps is taking guys up to 29, last I heard. Whether it's a great idea is uh another discussion altogether. <tiptoes away from thread>

haha.. you hit the nail on the head.... C-12's = 200's they also have ALOT of U-21H's (basically a A90 king-air).

Sweden has some of the lowest scores worldwide in fiscal freedom and government size. The top income tax rate of 60 percent is one of the highest in the world, and total government spending equals more than half of GDP. The labor market was highly regulated, but reforms have led to a score equal to the world average in labor freedom.

<shrug>

Six of one, half a dozen of the other.

You're going to pay no matter what. In Sweden, you pay with your tax dollars.

Here, you pay a private company.

Either way, you're coughing up the money. I don't really give a damn who I make the checks out to. What I care about is how much the checks are for.

And Sweden does rank higher in the human development index than the United States does, but not by what I would consider a statistically significant number. I mean, .951 versus .956 doesn't amount to squat.

On the other hand, it would SUCK to live in say, Sierra Leone, which only has a HDI of .333.

And the democrats will save the world!!! Oh God!!

Did you know 80 to 90% of the millionaires in this country are first time millionaires.
In other words, they started with nothing, worked hard, built businesses, sold businesses, etc, etc.

Go find another country that can say that, go on, I dare ya:bandit:

Excuse me?

Did you miss the :sarcasm: ?

Well, I wouldn't be borrowing money to get in to flying, no. I'm not sure that was ever a great move and now it seems glaringly stupid. That said, the "cycle of borrowing and lending" is the engine of any capitalist economy. Borrowing encourages individual accomplishment and maintains competitiveness and upward (and downward) mobility. There was a system in place prior to capitalism. It was called feudalism. Let's not throw out the baby with the bathwater....

Agreed, re money creation. I should have been more specific with my post.

If everyone went on the no debt plan almost no one except rich kids could go to college right after graduation. Doctor, Dentist, Lawyer, and Airline Pilot careers would have an extreme shortage.

anything worth doing aint gonna be easy. if you really want to do something you love, like flying, go out and do it and dont look back. all you can do is to try and make the smartest choices possible to attain your dream.

If everyone went on the no debt plan almost no one except rich kids could go to college right after graduation. Doctor, Dentist, Lawyer, and Airline Pilot careers would have an extreme shortage.

Rich kids would only be the vast majority doing it quick. Plus there are tons of companies/organizations giving back in the form of sponsorships, etc.

Rich kids would only be the vast majority doing it quick. Plus there are tons of companies/organizations giving back in the form of sponsorships, etc.

unfortunately for me at the time i took out the loan and went to school their were none of those around.. and they dont do you any good if you've already gone thru school....

Back