To Pilot Kitten, or people at ERAU

**DONOTDELETE**

These last past moonths have been total hell for me lately. I was all ready to become a pilot and then someone told me that in 10 to 20 years most things will be operated by a computer,, and that there would just be one person operating the controls on the plane. Though this sounds really farfetched, I looked on the Occupation Outlook handbook, and they said that jobs are cutting back, even though I've heard somethings like since the baby boomers are retiring there will be more travel for them.
I have been accepted to ERAU in arizona and was really exited to become a pilot. Are the jobs promising, for a pilot in commercial or even corporate? Do ERAU grads have an edge over the competition because it is the "Harvard of the Skies"? I'm really confused, I want to be a pilot, but not one without a job.. Please help..

I'm not at ERAU, but my brother is at the DAB campus. He loves it there, even though he's having problems scheduling his flights. He really likes his classes and professors.

Why is he having problems scheduling flights you might ask? Because the instructors are leaving for the regionals after about a year instructing. The regionals are in a serious need for pilots because that's where the majors go to do their hiring. There is a big push for pilots right now, be it in the regionals or majors. This could change in a day, week, year, or even decade. No one can predict the future.

As far as one person flying a plane goes, I doubt that will happen in the next 20 years. How many times has your computer crashed or performed an "illegal operation?" What if there is only one person flying the plane from Atlata to Amsterdam. That's an 8 & 1/2 hour flight. I know I would have to get up AT LEAST once to go to the bathroom during that flight. The computer wouldn't be the only thing crashing while I'm taking a leak. There are two people flying the plane for safety and workload reasons. I could be wrong, but I don't think it will in the near future.

If you want to fly, then do it. Don't let the occupational outlook handbook, or whatever it is discourage you. Follow your dream. It will be a long and difficult road to the left seat at a major, but if you love to fly it will all be worthwhile.

For Pilots to be put out because of computers is probably an idea the Gov't would not like, unless they can find a way to "tax" that computer by the hour and avoid from having to provide me housing and a welfare check every 2 weeks. In addition to that, they would have to help to guarantee that the computer will safely transport that $231.5 million 777-300ER from San Francisco to Sydney with 300 pax, and I don't think they are in the mood to do that.

Besides, how many people do you know would like to fly on a pilotless plane for pennies less? From a marketing standpoint, I'd like to think it would be more of a sales success to offer human controlled transportation for pennies more.

Erik.

Don't fret Scubasteve! There are always skeptics and dreamers out there that can make your goals seem unattainable. DON'T LISTEN TO THEM!!!

The way it looks right now, pilots will be in demand for at least the next 5-10 years. The reasons? 1/4 of all major airline pilots will be forced in age 60 retirement within the next decade (all vietnam vet pilots); the military isn't producing the number of pilots it use to; and many of the major airlines have plans to expand their fleets in the next 5-10 years to accomodate the ever expanding group of customers.

Of course EDUC8-or is right. This could change at any time...especially with the economy in question. But in what profession is that not the case?

As for computers flying airplanes? Purely pipe-dreams. There is NO WAY it will happen in my lifetime. Why? The majority of the flying public have a difficult enough time trusting the 2 humans in the cockpit. They are the only thing that makes the uncomfortable passengers comfortable enough to fly. Regardless of what happens with the ATC system, there will always be at least 2 people in that cockpit. By the way, in the mid 80's they were saying the same things about cars. By the year 2000, cars were supposed to be on autopilot and everyone in the car a passenger...I'm still driving my car to work everyday.

As for ERAU...everyone seems to have their own opinion. Frankly I think it's worth it. Because the job market is so hot right now, I don't think it will make that big of a difference when it comes to getting hired, but I think the connections you will make there may end up helping you later in life.

You shouldn't have too much of a problem getting your training scheduled at Arizona. The Arizona campus will let you take training off-campus whereas Daytona won't. That's why Daytona's students are having a problem getting their training in time for graduation.

Feel free to email me, crichton91@hotmail.com , if you have any questions. I've been excepted to the Daytona campus and have gone through a lot of the same apprehensions your going through.

Actually, the Daytona campus does allow students to obtain ratings off campus. They do require the student to obtain at least one rating (preferably the multi or CFI/II) on campus. Most students at Wrightway Aviation are ERAU folks. It's funny, pull in to the parking lot, and all you see are ERAU stickers on cars!

Hey Scuba->

ERAU has the best career resources. But it doesn't really matter where you go if you have the motivation and drive to make it where you want to go. I've met a bunch of guys who fly out of CLT for USAIR that went to the local FBO in their town to get their tickets and now they drive Boeings, Airbusses, and MD's at work every day.

Like I said before, don't EVER let what someone else says discourage you. I worked 3 jobs just so I could afford to get me PPL. Now I'm trying to get money so I can go to school to fly full time. Where there's a will there's a way. Just go for it and the pieces will fall into place.

If you decide to go to ERAU you'll have excellent resources to find a job at a commuter and work your way up. Don't get discouraged until you try it out!

Hey this is Pilot Kitten, (having trouble with password thingy)...

Yeah, so Anyway....

I'm CONSTANTLY (and I mean CONSTANTLY) hearing that either you're getting tons and tons of calls from airlines, or the phone is sitting dead on it's hook.

As for one pilot commercial planes, ain't gonna happen. No way, no how. Too much can go wrong that a couple of highly trained professionals could handle much better than a computer.

And from what I've heard from graduates, the ERAU thing helps a bit, because Riddle is especially known for it's higher standards then some no name FBO. (Example: for fuel requirements, either IFR or VFR...take FAA standards and double them and you have what Riddle asks for
wink.gif
Plus, they require you to show profieciency (sp?) in stalls and such when the FAA and some other schools just care if you know how to recover from them; there's more but it would take forever to list it all
smile.gif
) Plus, I think I posted under a different topic, that they have these really nice career fairs where you can ask airline interviewers questions about their company and basically get your foot in the door.

Ok, hope this helps a bit, sorry it took so long to reply, stupid computers...
laugh.gif

Back