TMAAT

LukN4aBreaK

Does anyone have any good stories about over the top customer service experience , CRM/Conflict, leadership ?

I really feel like I don’t have any of those stories I can relate to.

Depends on the company asking. Sometimes you can even pull non aviation related experiences if you have too. What’s your background? Are you in 121?

Hmm. I’ve never been a part of the interview/hiring process, so take my advice for the nothingness it’s worth.

When I was prepping, I was trying to find “hero” type situations and a friend offered me this advice-

What about finding stories where you aren’t the hero? Could be something that seems so small but was a great learning experience.

For example, early on in my 121 career I had a CA ask “which way do you think we should go around this weather?” I thought for a second and replied “right, it looks like with the winds that would take us upwind of the weather”

The CA replied with, “good idea, but, let’s go left because if we go right we will get stuck between the line of weather and the airport.”

That experience showed me little about crm, leadership, and mentoring. He didn’t just tell me what he thought, he allowed me to come up with my own idea, and because he probably already knew what he was going to do, he was able to explain why so I could understand I should have probably had a little more SA than just what I saw out the window.

My advice would be to just start picking random times you had a decision to make, it could have been between you and Mother Nature, the person you’re flying next to, the customers or company you’re interacting with, and see how you can tell that story as it fits into one of those categories. Depending on where you are interviewing some places write notes and are looking for a format, something like - Situation, Task, Action, Result.

If you can organize your thoughts like that and get a few stories together, I think it might help you out.

Practice telling the stories a friend/spouse/family member. If they don’t know what you’re talking about you might have some refining to do.

Also there are interview prep services that can give you feedback on your stories if you wanted to invest the time and money for that.

Good luck, let me know if I can help.

Does anyone have any good stories about over the top customer service experience , CRM/Conflict, leadership ?

I really feel like I don’t have any of those stories I can relate to.
Others' stories are never going to be your stories. By definition, they will make you inauthentic.

You are not the shirt you wear or the plane you fly or the whiskey you drink. Tell your own stories. Like @jmc4 says, they do not have to be "hero" stories. They just have to relate how you acted in your own experiences. The people asking these questions are generally simply trying to assess how you react to vagaries of a fluid work environment while carrying on in your effort to serve the customer and get the job done.

Back