Title 14

Victor Squawk

Title 14 in the Code of Federal Regulations has VI chapters.

Which should I read first, to get a better understanding of how (new or proposed) flight routes are regulated?

Edit - I just went through the chapters. Ch VI looks like it's related to financing, Ch V looks miscellaneous

Ch III looks like it might have some guidance on it, but Ch II seems to deal with the surrounding issues more directly

Ch I apparently has three volumes but it probably sets the context for the later stuff. I didn't exactly want to read it line by line in order but it looks like I probably should.

Nm, answered my own question ig

Last edited:
Rather than diving into the chapter and verse of Title 14, if you're interested in operating in the National Airspace System, instead I recommend FAA's Aeronautical Information Manual (AIM) and the Pilat's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge (PHAK). They will be somewhat more of an engaging narrative while still containing references to the relevant FARs.

You don't need to know about Part 23 unless you're building your own airplane or engineering your own STC or w/e.

Rather than diving into the chapter and verse of Title 14, if you're interested in operating in the National Airspace System, instead I recommend FAA's Aeronautical Information Manual (AIM) and the Pilat's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge (PHAK). They will be somewhat more of an engaging narrative while still containing references to the relevant FARs.

You don't need to know about Part 23 unless you're building your own airplane or engineering your own STC or w/e.
Good rec!

I would say, in general, either easy or dense reading is fine as long as I get the correct information.

However easier reading probably goes better in the bin while i wait for gate checks. Thanks for the pointers.

No. He should read the entire Title 14, starting from the beginning, to the end.

Part 71 generally. But each approach, SID, STAR, airway, etc is a separate regulation not contained in 14 CFR except by incorporation by reference. The guidelines and requirements the FAA designers use to create them are in the series of others generally referred to as TERPS.

Part 71 generally. But each approach, SID, STAR, airway, etc is a separate regulation not contained in 14 CFR except by incorporation by reference. The guidelines and requirements the FAA designers use to create them are in the series of others generally referred to as TERPS.
Thanks for the guidance. I'll study up.

Do I get a boy scouts badge for it?
no...but we will for witnessing the dumpster fire that will ensue if you do...

I recommend:
AIM (Aeronautical Information Manual)
PHAK (Pilots Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge)
Everything Explained for the Professional Pilot
A Day at the Airport by Richard Scarry (erotic thriller)

no...but we will for witnessing the dumpster fire that will ensue if you do...

I recommend:
AIM (Aeronautical Information Manual)
PHAK (Pilots Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge)
Everything Explained for the Professional Pilot
A Day at the Airport by Richard Scarry (erotic thriller)

He's not looking for information on how to fly, he's looking for information about government regulation of routes - more the business side of it.

He's not looking for information on how to fly, he's looking for information about government regulation of routes - more the business side of it.
Ah I missed that. Definitely ICAO annexes 2, 4, 6, 7, 8, 9, 11, 14, 15, 16, and 19 should be read then. You can probably skip the stuff like meteorology and SAR, at first at least.

Air commerce means interstate, overseas, or foreign air commerce or the transportation of mail by aircraft or any operation or navigation of aircraft within the limits of any Federal airway or any operation or navigation of aircraft which directly affects, or which may endanger safety in, interstate, overseas, or foreign air commerce.

Air transportation means interstate, overseas, or foreign air transportation or the transportation of mail by aircraft.

What's the difference? Commerce means it affects federal space but Transporation means general air shipping?

Air commerce means interstate, overseas, or foreign air commerce or the transportation of mail by aircraft or any operation or navigation of aircraft within the limits of any Federal airway or any operation or navigation of aircraft which directly affects, or which may endanger safety in, interstate, overseas, or foreign air commerce.

Air transportation means interstate, overseas, or foreign air transportation or the transportation of mail by aircraft.

What's the difference? Commerce means it affects federal space but Transporation means general air shipping?
Were you in the military? If so, I can probably help you make heads and tails of these aviation regulations.

Back