TIT Gauge

Fly_Unity

Today made a flight in a Turbo (normalized) SR22 Garmin 1000, climbed to 13 thousand with full rich mixture, Leveled off, set Mixture LOP and within 30 seconds the TIT warning light went off and the right TIT was pegged out and in the RED.

Instantly I went full rich, TIT went back down and matched the left side. Decided to try a ROP mixture setting, Same thing. Went back to full rich and then tried to lean just a tad, and TIT temps varied about 500 degrees within a few seconds, (up and down really fast).

Went back to full Rich and turned around and landed. Center declared an emergency after asking why I needed to turn around.

Anybody have any ideas? Our mechanic did not look at it yet, but thought maybe the temp probe might not be working correctly.

I did NOT notice anything abnormal with EGT's or CHT's

Gonna guess it's the probe... typically a wire going out would give you a zero indication.

Like Roger said, probe. I have had a couple fail on me in SR22's. Anytime I see sparatic movemement I assume its the probe. I have seen the same in the 22 with a CHT and EGT readings, one second fine, then the next second redline.

Thanks guys! It was the probe. It was completely melted off.

I found it hard to believe it was the probe because it seemed to act fine with a full rich mixture.

Back