Tips on starting first time CFI job

BoDEAN

Can you offer any suggestions prior to me starting Sept 15 on CFI'ing? I'm kind of nervous that my knowledge and skills are a bit below my likings. Working on my CFII.... I feel my skills have gotten rusty and I don't want to start my first day in the clouds.

You got hired? Congrats! Where are you working?

I was nervous when I started too, but things have worked out great. Teaching other people to fly is a great way to polish your own skills. When a student has a question or concern that you are not sure about, just be honest with then, research it that night, and give them an answer the next day.

One word of advice, do not get complacent with any student. Always pay attention and be ready to respond during any critical phase of flight. I have a couple scary stories I could tell you.....

Being a flight instructor is fun and very educational. Now, if I can only pay the rent this month.......

I got hired in Zeeland, MI as a full-time CFI.
I start Sept 15th.

You're having trouble paying rent? Ay vey.
My apartment I am getting is $545/month all I pay is electric.
Making $20/hr (flight+ground) I hope I can pay that =/
If I can't I got problems (laughs......for now.)

I think it's natural to feel a little bit 'inadaquate' when you first start teaching - I know I did. You will be amazed at how much you will learn about flying in the first 12 months of instructing. Just remember that you are now the "expert" in the airplane and will generally know more than your student but don't ever lie to your student!! They can usually sense when you're shoveling the BS! If they ask you something and you don't know - tell them you odn't know then help them find the answer!

Respect your students - wether they are 18 or 50 years old, wether they have 0 time or or working on an advanced rating there is always something you can learn from each of them.

Be ready to change your teaching methods(once you get some established) - not everyone learns the same way or at the same rate. Don't be afraid to try something a little out of the ordinary if you think it will help your student learn(as long as it's not unsafe or illegal of course!!)

DOn't be afraid to ask for help from the more experienced instructors.

Always do what you think is best for your students and you'll be fine. It's a good time - enjoy it!

Jason

IF i was in your shoes.. I'd go live with my Family..

hey .. sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.. That's what I'm going to do I'm If/ When i get to that point.
( Always prepear for the worst!! )

[ QUOTE ]
Be ready to change your teaching methods(once you get some established) - not everyone learns the same way or at the same rate.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is really the best advice of all, at least for me. As a 8 month CFI, I can say that this might be the most challenging part of all. Case in point, yesterday I flew three flights:
1) Private Pilot who wanted to learn more abuot flying "to new airports". Older lady, knida nervous.
2) Commercial student - gotta make this guy fly like he's a pro and keep that ball in the center!!
3) Re-vitalizing a new pilot who hadnt flown since 2000 - knows lots of stuff but is rusty and in a hurry to get signed off..

all three would have suffered if I crossed my expectations..

All jokes aside, you dont' really start learning until you start teaching. And you really begin to see what your weaknesses are when students ask you questions and you don't know the answer!
frown.gif

[ QUOTE ]
All jokes aside, you dont' really start learning until you start teaching. And you really begin to see what your weaknesses are when students ask you questions and you don't know the answer!
frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

AMen to that!

[ QUOTE ]
AMen to that!

[/ QUOTE ]

So gizbug, does that mean a student's stumped you yet?

How has it been? Let's hear it...

Back