Tips for SIM training

Ginger helps with motion sickness;
so either eat some, real ginger ale, or they make supplements.
All perfectly safe and no limitation on use

Ginger helps with motion sickness;
so either eat some, real ginger ale, or they make supplements.
All perfectly safe and no limitation on use
If you want that real ginger kick gotta get some ginger beer instead of ginger ale.

As a plus it goes great with gin and a squirt of lime juice for the post-debrief relaxation.

I remember being at FlightSafety Dallas for MX initial and part of the training was APU start, engine start and taxi in the sim. If it was busy they'd leave the motion part turned off, but it was not uncommon for the instructor to occasionally let the MX guys play a little bit if no one was looking. My partner in the G200 started to get nauseous as soon as he started to taxi. We swapped seats and he started getting sick again. The instructor had us take a break and get back in with the motion turned on, I was fine, but he was not. Barf bags in a sim, it's amazing how our brains work regarding visual cues and balance from the vestibular. We both passed as far I know.

So I tried the head down during taxi and it helped a lot. I'll try ginger next time.

Head down, and/or eyes closed during reposition and taxi. Especially if you’re doing the taxi with the motion off. Your brain gets confused when your eyes and ears send different signals.

Back