Tips for Class B flying

maximum forward speed
grin.gif

Run a quick search, you'll find some good info.

B isn't much different from any other airspace. In many ways it's easier because you'll get headings and altitudes from ATC.

Biggest things: study that airport diagram, watch for wake turbulence, and don't hesitate to speak up if you need to.

Sound confident on the radios, don't miss radio calls, stay on assigned headings and altitudes. Flying in Class B is not that big of a deal once you've done it and flying into Class B airports isn't difficult either(although it can be expensive), but remember the reliever airport system and a required clearance into Bravo were developed for a reason. To keep people in little planes that don't know what they are doing, and may get in the way away from big busy airports and their big aircraft. This does not mean you cannot go or do not have the right to, but controllers will be harsh on you if they feel that you scwrewed up since they will be working you into airspace with planes that Vref is probably faster than your maximum forward speed.

I currently fly mapping survey and aerial photo work, and I've worked inside CVG and CLE airspace about a billion times (used to fly freight into CVG all the time, too). CVG and CLE both have some great controllers who will probably make things go smoothly for you. Now, if you are LANDING at either of these airports, that's gonna be a handful for sure. Transitioning thru the airspace probably won't be that bad.

Advice for a student pilot? Listen for and comply with all vectors without delay, try not to get flustered on the radio and keep your transmissions (especially readbacks) short and sweet. You will be given lots of traffic calls most likely. If you are transitioning on the outskirts of the airspace, things won't be too bad (although the area between CVG and Dayton can get pretty congested), but things get more hectic the closer you get to the airport. Also, the arriving and departing "pushes" come in waves - quiet one minute, then busy the next.

BTW, I see you go to Darby HS in your profile. I fly out of Darby Dan.
laugh.gif

Basically just fly the plane how you have been taught and all will be fine. I would not recommend maximum forward speed unless asked - going into LAX a couple times I was asked to slow down, so I pretty much figured they take into account you are slower and accomodate for it.

[ QUOTE ]
I currently fly mapping survey and aerial photo work, and I've worked inside CVG and CLE airspace about a billion times (used to fly freight into CVG all the time, too). CVG and CLE both have some great controllers who will probably make things go smoothly for you. Now, if you are LANDING at either of these airports, that's gonna be a handful for sure. Transitioning thru the airspace probably won't be that bad.

Advice for a student pilot? Listen for and comply with all vectors without delay, try not to get flustered on the radio and keep your transmissions (especially readbacks) short and sweet. You will be given lots of traffic calls most likely. If you are transitioning on the outskirts of the airspace, things won't be too bad (although the area between CVG and Dayton can get pretty congested), but things get more hectic the closer you get to the airport. Also, the arriving and departing "pushes" come in waves - quiet one minute, then busy the next.

BTW, I see you go to Darby HS in your profile. I fly out of Darby Dan.
laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

...Small world!
cool.gif

Make sure you can listen and comply with ATC instructions first. If you are not comfortable listening at what sometimes may be a faster speed, practice.

Then:

Listen
Comply

Flying in B is great, lower VFR weather requirements, you get steered around the area. Just make sure that radio and transponder is working, and you are listening to it. If it means moving the mic up on the headset of your passenger, so they won't bother you during your B time, then do that til you get used to things.

I live and fly in and around the CVG class B airspace. Like everyone said be short and sweet on the radios.

During the day I stay away from CVG cause heard that your vectored around alot and that the controllers can be rude to you more especially if your VFR.

You might wanna try touch and goes at night once all the Delta traffic has slowed down but then you do have to contend with all the DHL traffic but oh well have fun.

Matthew

Back