Time table for becoming an ATC? (delaying OKC training)

Hockey9

Quick question, seeing if anyone can help me. I am an off teh street applicant. I applied, and was selected to take teh AT-SAT in mid July.

If I pass, can anyone tell me what the process is from there, (when you select your geographic preferences, the interviews...etc) and how long the process usually takes? I coach a winter sport, and would like to possibly delay my OKC training (If I get that far) until the spring of 09.

1. is that possible?
2. is it possible that I could even get into OKC before say mid august and be done by end of October?

Quick question, seeing if anyone can help me. I am an off teh street applicant. I applied, and was selected to take teh AT-SAT in mid July.

If I pass, can anyone tell me what the process is from there, (when you select your geographic preferences, the interviews...etc) and how long the process usually takes? I coach a winter sport, and would like to possibly delay my OKC training (If I get that far) until the spring of 09.

1. is that possible?
2. is it possible that I could even get into OKC before say mid august and be done by end of October?

You have a lot of reading to do on this forum :)

I applied to the same opening you did and I wouldn't expect to be in OKC before December (which is still being optimistic). I don't know how long you can delay your training, but you definitely won't be getting into OKC in August (and even if you did, you go right to your facility and won't be able to coach anyway).

*edit* Just adding more info...

As far as timelines, I can only look at the February applicants...
Their announcement closed 2/15
They took their AT-SATs throughout March (and I think the beginning of April)
They selected their geographic preferences in May
The referral list for their announcement was made at the beginning of June
Just today, FAA started contacting them about PEPCs, which are in July and August as of right now
They are probably expecting to start training in September or October (my estimation, don't really know)...

1. is that possible?

Honestly, the time table seems to vary greatly from group to group. The February 2008 applicants are already scheduled for OKC, yet there are still people from 2007 who are tying up their odds and ends.

There is NO WAY that you'd get into OKC by August, though, and the duration of your stay there would depend on which facility they wish to send you to. As an OTS applicant, you'd be required to take a basics course, PLUS terminal or enroute training, so you're looking at 4mos. or more there.

I've heard through the grapevine that your group's selection panel is meeting in Sept./Oct., so January of '09 sounds like a safe estimation. Time is definitely on your side, in this case.

You have a lot of reading to do on this forum :)

I applied to the same opening you did and I wouldn't expect to be in OKC before December (which is still being optimistic). I don't know how long you can delay your training, but you definitely won't be getting into OKC in August (and even if you did, you go right to your facility and won't be able to coach anyway).

Ha, yeah, I am new. Anyone know how the delay in ATC training goes? Im hoping to go Mid March or anytime after that.

Ha, yeah, I am new. Anyone know how the delay in ATC training goes? Im hoping to go Mid March or anytime after that.

I think I'll leave it at this:

If you are scheduled for OKC after 8-12 months of your application's closure, then consider yourself Heaven's Blessed Child.

Honestly, the time table seems to vary greatly from group to group. The February 2008 applicants are already scheduled for OKC, yet there are still people from 2007 who are tying up their odds and ends.

There is NO WAY that you'd get into OKC by August, though, and the duration of your stay there would depend on which facility they wish to send you to. As an OTS applicant, you'd be required to take a basics course, PLUS terminal or enroute training, so you're looking at 4mos. or more there.

I've heard through the grapevine that your group's selection panel is meeting in Sept./Oct., so January of '09 sounds like a safe estimation. Time is definitely on your side, in this case.

Thanks for the information. Just out of curiosity. Lets say I have to go Jan of 09 to OKC. Is there anyway to delay the process so I start, end of March?

Also, when do you select which you want to go into. Tower/En Route etc...

I am new to this whole thing!

Thanks for the information. Just out of curiosity. Lets say I have to go Jan of 09 to OKC. Is there anyway to delay the process so I start, end of March?

It depends on when they invite you to OKC to begin with, and when each class session starts. I think they can delay it a month or so, but I'm not sure the maximum time allowed. If they notified you in January, then you might be able to get a March class start-date.

I think that you select tower/enroute at the same time you declare your geographic preferences. Someone correct me if I'm wrong...?

I edited my first response to include the timeline for the February applicants for you. You select terminal/en-route when you make your geographic preference selection. Some people have delayed their starting dates, but it also depends on what the academy has available for you, so I wouldn't count on that.

Seriously, look around the forum... none of us can answer anything and be 100% positive. We can only speculate based on what we've seen.

It depends on when they invite you to OKC to begin with, and when each class session starts. I think they can delay it a month or so, but I'm not sure the maximum time allowed. If they notified you in January, then you might be able to get a March class start-date.

I think that you select tower/enroute at the same time you declare your geographic preferences. Someone correct me if I'm wrong...?

thanks a ton for the infor...and the geographic preferences are chosen before your interview, but after At Sat, correct?

thanks a ton for the infor...and the geographic preferences are chosen before your interview, but after At Sat, correct?

Yes, but in-between there, you missed a few more steps (aka more waiting). You must receive notification that you are on their selected referral list for which states, after you make your preferences.

Then, you wait some more to be invited to a PEPC - pre-employment processing center, where they do your medical, psych eval, interview, etc. At this point, they've already got a specific position picked out for you, at a specific facility, and you either accept the tentative offer or decline it (it's all dependent upon the security/medical clearance, etc.).

I applied Aug. '07 and am scheduled for a PEPC on July 10th. It takes a while. Although it seems like the process is moving a little faster, i'd say you've got probably 8-10 months after you take the AT-SAT.

My 1.4 cents (30% pay cut) is this. If, and when, you get a date to go to OKC, GO. Do not delay. You never know when the FFAA is going to shut down the Academy screwing things up again. This also delays your retirement eligibility, TSP contributions and seniority date, just to name a few.
When you get the call, put the rest of your life on hold and go. You can always go back and coach once you're (not your) done with training. Unless this isn't really what you would desire/dream/love to do with the rest of your life. Is it??

My 1.4 cents (30% pay cut) is this. If, and when, you get a date to go to OKC, GO. Do not delay. You never know when the FFAA is going to shut down the Academy screwing things up again. This also delays your retirement eligibility, TSP contributions and seniority date, just to name a few.
When you get the call, put the rest of your life on hold and go. You can always go back and coach once you're (not your) done with training. Unless this isn't really what you would desire/dream/love to do with the rest of your life. Is it??

That's what I was thinking. If I had to choose between my career and my hobby, it wouldn't be a very tough choice. And if it was, I would seriously reevaluate how much I want this job.
I look at this whole mass hiring, which hasn't happened in 20+ years, as a chance of a lifetime for most of us( for me at least). And who knows how long it's going to last. I will take what they give me and figure it out from there.

That's what I was thinking. If I had to choose between my career and my hobby, it wouldn't be a very tough choice. And if it was, I would seriously reevaluate how much I want this job.
I look at this whole mass hiring, which hasn't happened in 20+ years, as a chance of a lifetime for most of us( for me at least). And who knows how long it's going to last. I will take what they give me and figure it out from there.

Amen.

Back