Time off as a line pilot

fly22

I was just wondering what type of pto or time off a line holder gets a year. I know that you have your schedule lets say 4 on 3 off but what if you want 10 days off to take the family on vacation. How does it work?

If you have vacation, take vacation. You can also bid off that time, but you'd be most likely working the rest of the month to get those 10 days in succession off (and needless to say be very senior). Also, at our company we can trade away trips, so me as someone junior, if I wanted 7 days off for something in particular, I can trade away a trip for a trip on my other days off.

We get vacation for one, two, or three weeks depending on seniority. We can bid to take it at one time or week by week. Weeks are assigned by bid.

When we bid for a line, any trip that touches the vacation time is dropped, but only time within the vacation period is compensated. For example, vacation is Jan 10 through Jan 17. Your schedule had a trip from Jan 8 through Jan 12. That whole trip will be dropped, but you will only be paid for Jan 10 - 12.

There are two schools of thought regarding bidding for vacation. The Max Pay school of thought tries to put trips within the vacation week to avoid dropping partial trips that you wouldn't be completely compensated for. The Max Time Off school of thought tries to connect as many work days to the vacation time as possible regardless of lost pay. Using this method you can add a week to your vacation.

My schedule is 2 weeks on and 2 weeks off. During my 2 weeks on, I've got the weekends off, also. During my 2 weeks off, I can go anywhere and never worry about the phone ringing, but if I want to pick up some over-time, that's not a problem either.

[ QUOTE ]
My schedule is 2 weeks on and 2 weeks off. During my 2 weeks on, I've got the weekends off, also. During my 2 weeks off, I can go anywhere and never worry about the phone ringing, but if I want to pick up some over-time, that's not a problem either.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you fly corporate?

[ QUOTE ]
I was just wondering what type of pto or time off a line holder gets a year. I know that you have your schedule lets say 4 on 3 off but what if you want 10 days off to take the family on vacation. How does it work?

[/ QUOTE ]

PTO? I have one authorized leave of absence per year, but if I take it, I don't get paid for the trip I've missed. But, depending on the amount of reserve pilots available, you're able to trade trips with other pilots, drop trips (with no pay) or swap trips if there are any unassigned or open-time trips.

You get vacation, at my airline, based on years of seniority. I'm starting my seventh year next year and I think I'm still around 3 weeks of vacation per year.

Usually I bid them throughout the year so I have a week off here, and a week off there, but I usually try and coordinate it with Kristie during the 'off season' so we can non-rev somewhere. I feel sorry for the guys with kids that have to bid summer vacations (which are uber premium) and then can't get anywhere inexpensively because the flights are full. Yow!

Okay lets say that you just got back form a long 4 day trip you have 3 days off before your next trip. How long does it take you to rest up and feel "normal" after being on company time for 4 long days.

Matthew

a week or 2.... and since he usually doesn't get that much time... it takes him a complete day to rest/recover before i'm allowed to give him any "honey do" items...

Doug,
What's the differecne between vaction time and authorized leave time? And how many X-mas have you had to fly while being with DLA?

[ QUOTE ]
Okay lets say that you just got back form a long 4 day trip you have 3 days off before your next trip. How long does it take you to rest up and feel "normal" after being on company time for 4 long days.

Matthew

[/ QUOTE ]

Usually my first night home is spent like a zombie.

My second day home is useless.

My third day home, I'm just getting over a nasty case of dehydration and getting some errands done. I actually finally start relatively relaxing on this day.

My fourth day is ususally trying to catch up with things that I havn't been able to do for the last week ,packing and heading back to the airport for another four day trip.

[ QUOTE ]
Doug,
What's the differecne between vaction time and authorized leave time? And how many X-mas have you had to fly while being with DLA?

[/ QUOTE ]

Vacation time you're paid for. Authorized leave time you are not paid for. If you drop a 20 hour trip for 'authorized leave' you're 20 hours short for the month which amounts to about a $2,500 loss.

[ QUOTE ]
My third day home, I'm just getting over a nasty case of dehydration

[/ QUOTE ]
Just out of curiosity, have you tried pushing--I mean REALLY pushing--water on yourself during trips? Like a liter (or more) per leg?

EDIT: and do you take a good multivitamin?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
My third day home, I'm just getting over a nasty case of dehydration

[/ QUOTE ]
Just out of curiosity, have you tried pushing--I mean REALLY pushing--water on yourself during trips? Like a liter (or more) per leg?

[/ QUOTE ]

I was thinking exactly the same thing...

I'm obviously not in an airline cockpit for hours on end, but I have to drink a lot of water on a regular basis to stay hydrated...
tongue.gif

I hate it when I am dehydrated so I usually try to drink between 1 1/2 to 2 gallons a day of water. Makes me feel good and it controls the false hungar pangs.

[ QUOTE ]
Usually my first night home is spent like a zombie.

My second day home is useless.

My third day home, I'm just getting over a nasty case of dehydration and getting some errands done. I actually finally start relatively relaxing on this day.

My fourth day is ususally trying to catch up with things that I havn't been able to do for the last week ,packing and heading back to the airport for another four day trip.

[/ QUOTE ]

Doug you bring back those awful memories!

I fully understand by the way, although it usually only takes me a day to adjust.

Part of this is why I encourage people to get all the facts before they sign those $50k loans to "get that dream job as an airline pilot" - it's not for everybody! I hate the way those flight schools market airline jobs! It's so misleading. Caveat Emptor.

So anyway Doug, tell us why it's still worthwhile. Give us the upside! I remember being away from home on holidays, not knowing my schedule more than a few weeks in advance, cancelled vacations, etc. yet I still went back to work everyday. What is it about this flying thing that makes us put up with this crap? Is it just the thrill of having a 150,000 lb piece of flying metal under our control? The view? The travel?

I'd have to say NO to all three of those. I got sick of those fast. What brought me back? I'd say it was the people. I met some of the most interesting people in the world when I was flying for an airline. If I had to say I miss anything it would be the people, and the sense of belonging. It was rewarding to be part of a team and complete the mission every day.

How about you Doug?

Doug says that he drinks a lot of water - but i hear more about coffee than i do water...

Back