Time Building explained...please.

TaxiBack

Plane planes planes
Hello,
So would one of you awesome CFI/II or FAA types comment on what exactly is there to be gained legally with "time building"? I know the basic regs but people are always telling me, "oh no, you can't log that or this flight...Or "you need at least a COMM to do that." I keep wondering if Im wasting my time.
I want to do some time building but I m just not clear on the regs.

Thanks to those that knows.

Easier if you give examples of what you'd like to do. Time building is just that, building time. If you want to rent a plane for 100 hours and fly it around, cool, do it. If you have a friend who needs to go to town across the state and you offer to fly him, no go.

There are many different ways to do this including safety pilot time, but it all depends on what you have in mind.

I will assume you're referring to "splitting time" or using a safety pilot and both logging time.

As far as I could find and understand, if Pilot A and Pilot B fly a 2.0 hour cross country flight, and pilot B is the safety pilot for Pilot A, you can log time accordingly: Pilot A, 2.0hrs PIC, 2.0hrs Cross Country, 1.8hrs Simulated Instrument. Pilot B 1.8hrs PIC

Pilot B cannot log the cross country time because they did not perform the takeoff or landing, therefore it's not a cross country flight for them. There's an FAA letter floating around somewhere stating this, but your results may vary, log as you please.

Thanks guys! some good notes. Yeah, I was not exactly clear as to what I want to do....but that all depends on the situation. I want hours, VFR, IFR,ME whatever is a good price at the time...but it's the logging and sharing that get sticky. Thanks KKochan , and Matt13 for the help.

One pilot told me to fly anything anywhere...ME or SEL didn't matter...just get hours. OK, great but I have a few friends that would offer to share costs in order to get somewhere fast.(non-pilots, PNF). Can I log that? Do I need a comm to take them "flying"...? Thanks again.

Thanks guys! some good notes. Yeah, I was not exactly clear as to what I want to do....but that all depends on the situation. I want hours, VFR, IFR,ME whatever is a good price at the time...but it's the logging and sharing that get sticky. Thanks KKochan , and Matt13 for the help.

One pilot told me to fly anything anywhere...ME or SEL didn't matter...just get hours. OK, great but I have a few friends that would offer to share costs in order to get somewhere fast.(non-pilots, PNF). Can I log that? Do I need a comm to take them "flying"...? Thanks again.

If you do not have a commercial then you MUST pay your pro rated costs. So if it cost $500 for your whole flight, and there are 4 friends (3+ you) then your cost will be $125. Anything less is considered taking compensation.

If you enter actual IMC, then you no longer need a safety pilot, and only 1 person may log time.

If you enter actual IMC, then you no longer need a safety pilot, and only 1 person may log time.

Correct. This is where a lot of time builders mess up. So if you are splitting costs then it is best to avoid IMC. Otherwise, someone is getting screwed!

I have noticed that most foreign students/time builders are not interested in logging cross country time. I have not really looked in to it, but was told that either it was not logged in their country, or there are no requirements for it. For that reason, when doing my multiengine time building, I tried to fly with people from other countries so I could log all of the cross country time.

I have noticed that most foreign students/time builders are not interested in logging cross country time. I have not really looked in to it, but was told that either it was not logged in their country, or there are no requirements for it. For that reason, when doing my multiengine time building, I tried to fly with people from other countries so I could log all of the cross country time.
I didn't even think of that...darn it. And I split most of my time right down the middle :(

I'm gonna have to look up why...maybe it's just not a req for their airlines...idk

Thanks again. Good info to be sure. If the foreign guys do not log it then I guess it's up for grabs. Il take it!

I am also thinking of buying some little complex 4-place for 70K$ -80K$ and flying the heck outta that and selling it.
Then I wouldn't always need another PNF. There are some nice little planes out there. It would be an extra burden but maybe I can just pass the plane along to the next group of young guns.

Thanks again. Good info to be sure. If the foreign guys do not log it then I guess it's up for grabs. Il take it!

I am also thinking of buying some little complex 4-place for 70K$ -80K$ and flying the heck outta that and selling it.
Then I wouldn't always need another PNF. There are some nice little planes out there. It would be an extra burden but maybe I can just pass the plane along to the next group of young guns.

I did the same thing. I bought an Arrow, put a few hundred hours on it, did commercial and CFI's in it, and now selling it. It worked well for me.

Back