Time Building as a Private Pilot?

future pilot

Hi all, a few months ago I began training for my PPL. The initial plan was to get my PPL and then continue training for my ratings with ATP. Unfortunately I seem to have overlooked a key factor in that ATP also requires 80TT if you are coming in with a PPL (Not quite sure how I never noticed this on their website, or how nobody mentioned it once in the multiple times I spoke with them over the phone) Since switching to the zero to hero plan with ATP will add close to 20K onto the loan, I was wondering what everyone’s thoughts were on a couple of options.
  • Obtain Private and build time until reaching 80TT then attend ATP
  • Say screw ATP and get all my ratings locally.
If I were to go the route of #2, I was doing some research and noticed that there is a Saint Louis based airline called Air Choice One who hires FO’s with low commercial hours. My question is if I were to train locally and get the ratings needed for Air Choice One, would this help get me to the qualifications for the regionals? I feel as though this would be too easy and that I am missing something.

Thanks in advance!

I was wondering what everyone’s thoughts were on a couple of options.
  • Obtain Private and build time until reaching 80TT then attend ATP
  • Say screw ATP and get all my ratings locally.
If I were to go the route of #2, I was doing some research and noticed that there is a Saint Louis based airline called Air Choice One who hires FO’s with low commercial hours. My question is if I were to train locally and get the ratings needed for Air Choice One, would this help get me to the qualifications for the regionals? I feel as though this would be too easy and that I am missing something.

Thanks in advance!

The qualifications are 1500 hours, how you get them doesn't really matter much. Last I heard, they had a training contract. I'd rather be a CFI at 250 hours, at least you have the option of going somewhere else if you feel the need to.

The qualifications are 1500 hours, how you get them doesn't really matter much. Last I heard, they had a training contract. I'd rather be a CFI at 250 hours, at least you have the option of going somewhere else if you feel the need to.
Yeah my thinking behind Air Choice One was that it would cost me less not having to pay for my CFI and might be quicker? I guess it wouldn't really help me with the 50 hours multi as they only have one 1900C in their fleet.

Yeah my thinking behind Air Choice One was that it would cost me less not having to pay for my CFI and might be quicker? I guess it wouldn't really help me with the 50 hours multi as they only have one 1900C in their fleet.

I would not even worry about multi time until you have well over 1,000 hours.

Getting a CFI doesn't necessarily cost all that much. Lots of time studying. I would say roughly 3% of the preparation happens in an airplane.

Back