Thoughts on the new AWC

A1TAPE

I know we use our standard sources for WX (Fusion and others) but those of you who have had to break out the AWC site for say Forecast Discussions or other uses what has been your experience so far on the site?

It’s meh. I’ll get used to it though. Could use some improvements. I know some folks around the office have submitted suggestions.

It’s meh. I’ll get used to it though. Could use some improvements. I know some folks around the office have submitted suggestions.
I emailed them asking them to please put the map back to how it was for the AFD section. You can list airports on the map but I don’t want to have to memorise NWS office codes.

Only thing good is the new icing chart. They screwed with my gate forecast
i mean it looks different, but all the same info is there yes?

initially i hated the new site, but i’m just resistant to change i think

It's now a static display that updates every 12 hours. The old one was dynamic. You could see the departure and arrival gates change based on the weather and the filings on certain gates.

oh ok ya, seems like a pretty big miss by them. at least the old site still works as of now, but hopefully they update the new one to return the functionality that was lost

I doubt it. It probably was an intensive resource hog. Most dispatchers I know didn't use it or know about it. Such a useful tool.

I like it. All the products that I used to use is now interactive with more options than before (i.e CAT+MW, winds).

I emailed them asking them to please put the map back to how it was for the AFD section. You can list airports on the map but I don’t want to have to memorise NWS office codes.
I get that. Adding airports in the settings adds ALL the airports when you zoom in. Too cluttered! I’ve looked at FIRs for so long that I use that feature and the state borders to get the area I want. If that doesn’t work, then I just go to NWS local weather page for the info I want.

Altitude increments are too large, but more fine time increments for turb/MW. It's a trade-off. For IFR conditions I miss being able to quickly filter between ceilings vs vis. Thankfully the legacy site is still up for the time being.

Altitude increments are too large, but more fine time increments for turb/MW. It's a trade-off. For IFR conditions I miss being able to quickly filter between ceilings vs vis. Thankfully the legacy site is still up for the time being.
Whats the legacy site? I hope they keep that one up forever like how FAA keeps the old OIS up. If the FAA drops to only the new OIS I think traffic would grind to LRC.

It's fine. Just a matter of updating the bookmarks and adjusting your eyes. No complaints or compliments from me. Gets the job done

Personally the new AWC website is great, however, it is missing the icing cross section tool which I used extensively.

Really I've email them a dozen times. They said they will get back to me.

Back