Thoughts on graduating early..

Graduate early, get all of the ratings done as quickly as possible, and then start college. Flight instructing while attending classes is actually really easy and the pay is better than any other job you could get while in college. The only thing is, school has to come first and it can be hard to stick to that mentality. There will be a lot of days you want to skip class to go flying or just drop out of school completely to fly full time. It takes a lot of disipline to stay in school when you are already qualified for the next job and when you get job offers.

Alex.

:yeahthat::yeahthat::yeahthat:

This is exactly what I would have done if I was going to do it over again.

There are a number of JCers who have done exactly this and seem to have done well with it.

Graduate early, get all of the ratings done as quickly as possible, and then start college. Flight instructing while attending classes is actually really easy and the pay is better than any other job you could get while in college. The only thing is, school has to come first and it can be hard to stick to that mentality. There will be a lot of days you want to skip class to go flying or just drop out of school completely to fly full time. It takes a lot of disipline to stay in school when you are already qualified for the next job and when you get job offers.

Alex.

Listen to this kid. He knows what the hell he is talking about. 100%

I'd say graduate early, then take your time during college. I graduated early and at 19, I'm already a junior in college. College is way more fun than high school, GTFO!

BTW, anyone else here do flight training, full time school, and full time work? Tough times!;):banghead:

I'd say graduate early, then take your time during college. I graduated early and at 19, I'm already a junior in college. College is way more fun than high school, GTFO!

BTW, anyone else here do flight training, full time school, and full time work? Tough times!;):banghead:

I'm done with my flight training for now (except CFIs) and I work flying, I fly about 20-30 hrs per week and have 17credits this semester. BRUUUUTTAALLLL.

Yes... and added partying and women....:yup:

That goes without saying.;)

Seriously though. I try to prioritize my tasks so that it boils down to school first, work second, and flight training third. But it seems to come down a lot to work first, flight training second, and school third.

Wow..Lots of responses. Thanks! To everyone who says enjoy high school, I really cant. I pretty much hate it and all of its "drama". I would much rather get started with earning my ratings early.

Do what you want, either way you're all good because you're actually in the mindset about the future. At 16 the last thing I was thinking about was my route to Fedex. All we're trying to say is that going to the airlines at a young age is good and bad. Yes, you will gain seniority but it's pretty much pointless because you can't upgrade until you're 23. And being a regional FO for 5 years while working on college online sucks. Not to mention the college life you'll miss out on, and the overnights in SYR.:nana2:

Do what you want, either way you're all good because you're actually in the mindset about the future. At 16 the last thing I was thinking about was my route to Fedex. All we're trying to say is that going to the airlines at a young age is good and bad. Yes, you will gain seniority but it's pretty much pointless because you can't upgrade until you're 23. And being a regional FO for 5 years while working on college online sucks. Not to mention the college life you'll miss out on, and the overnights in SYR.:nana2:

You can still go to college in under 4 and be an FO with the seniority/time to upgrade by 23.

You can still go to college in under 4 and be an FO with the seniority/time to upgrade by 23.

I suppose this is possible (maybe you're an example, no?), but I'd say the planets would have to be almost perfectly aligned to make this happen (Four-year degree + Airline Captain by age 23).

Listen to some of the advices on here.

I am somewhat young myself (21:rolleyes:) and i have had phases in my life when i wanted to get all my ratings as early as possible while not having much of a social life. The truth is, none of your friends would really think you're cooler if you're a CFI. Enjoy your youth as many have stated in here. Having a childhood is what will shape you into the person you will become. There really isn't no rush anyway. Just remain in good health and take nothing for granted. When the time is right you'll have your turn.

Slow down and take a deep breath.

You've heard many points of view; all have good points and you'll have to make the best decision for yourself. N8081G brings up a good point; don't skimp out on the social life regardless. But I will say that the friendships I developed in college (at a traditional four-year school // living in a dorm for most of it) are way more important to me than any friendships I had in high school. But that's just me; everyone is different. I actually went several years without talking to anyone I went to HS with, and have only recently found some of them on myspace and facebook. It's really interesting to see the different paths that everyone has taken; you see the cross-section of society, whereas in college you tend to associate more with people whose values are more in line with yours and who are all pretty much on the road to success.

What really disappoints me about some of your peers is that they vow to skip college, get straight to an RJ job ASAP, and miss the whole college "experience", claiming they'll do it online or as an adult later on (it's not the same). IMO, people who are between the ages of 18-22 belong in college, and they should start college at 18 or 19 and do the 4-year program. Once you're there, as especially afterwards, nobody gives a flying rat's rear about what you did in high school. Hell, I didn't even order a high school ring.

For the reasons N8081G brought up, I elected to spend an entire 4th year in high school while working at the FBO and doing my instrument rating on the side. That was the right decision for me, (plus there were things going on in my family at the time which warranted me spending another year in the nest--had that not been the case and the right opportunity presented itself, maybe I would have made a different call), but you'll have to decide what's the right decision for you.

I'm right there with ya

Wow..Lots of responses. Thanks! To everyone who says enjoy high school, I really cant. I pretty much hate it and all of its "drama". I would much rather get started with earning my ratings early.

Here is my input.

Get out of high school ASAP and use college as the 'have fun years' even though it will be more expensive if you drag it out.

The fun I had in high school was walking home from the bus stop because I knew I didn't have to go back for another 14 hours. I know just what you mean about not enjoying high school and all its drama and I also think that no matter how much someone enjoys high school, they will end up losing touch with quite a few high school friends and meeting more lifelong friends at college.

The truth is, none of your friends would really think you're cooler if you're a CFI. Enjoy your youth as many have stated in here. Having a childhood is what will shape you into the person you will become. There really isn't no rush anyway. Just remain in good health and take nothing for granted. When the time is right you'll have your turn.

I think you guys are forgetting that he will need a job in college and being a CFI beats the hell out of being a waiter. I was able to flight instruct throughout college and had a better social life than a lot of my friends because they would have to work four hours to make what I made in an hour. Now my social life is much better than my classmates because I rarely work, can bring friends with me the few times a month I do have trips, and really do not have to worry about money or paying for school thanks to the flying job I have.

Yes, you will gain seniority but it's pretty much pointless because you can't upgrade until you're 23.

Because of the connections I made flight instructing, I was in the left seat of a turbine four years before I was eligible for the ATP. When you flight instruct you have the oppurtunity to make a lot of connections, the problem is most CFI's have their mind sets on flying an RJ for some reason.

Alex.

I suppose this is possible (maybe you're an example, no?), but I'd say the planets would have to be almost perfectly aligned to make this happen (Four-year degree + Airline Captain by age 23).

There are more folks in this boat than you think. The industry timing does matter (yet you cannot time it yourself so its a bit of luck). I cannot see one single negative to being in the 121/135/91 (corp) world as soon as you can when you are starting your career. Of course you need the 4-yr, but you can have PLENTY of college party time in 3 years. Plus, after you leave college and enter the "real world" the view of a "college party" is different when you can jumpseat ANYWHERE with more spending cash!

I did it, graduated a year early, and have never regretted it. I was able to take my time with college, which allowed me to work (ie. not have to take out loans), get good grades (and hence more scholarships), and have time for a life. Just remember that last part...Have a life, and enjoy it.

Take your time on the flying, as mentioned above. But. Screw high school. If you can get out of the federal youth holding pens early, go for it. Now, college you're going to want to take AT LEAST four years for. And go to a real one. It'll be worth it, I promise.

I graduated High School one year early, and I can honestly say it was one of the best decisions that I have ever made in my life. High School felt like a prison to me, and I could not wait to get out! You seem to have a good plan for your life. I would say that if you can graduate one year early, do it! I did well in High School and graduated with a 3.7 GPA, and 7 more credits than I needed to graduate. And I managed to do it all in 3 years. My greatest memory of High School is when I left it on graduation day.

Back