This would be an interesting CVR...

Didn't Yuri Gagarin die while drunk flying a MIG-21 or something?

Yuri died in a MiG-15, in either a spin due to bird strike/maneuvering, wake turbulence due to an extremely close passing SU-15 (which is Leonov's theory), or due to hypoxia. Depends on who you believe.

Yuri died in a MiG-15, in either a spin due to bird strike/maneuvering, wake turbulence due to an extremely close passing SU-15 (which is Leonov's theory), or due to hypoxia. Depends on who you believe.

My understanding is that the "accepted story", anyway, is that they realized the aircraft wasn't pressurized, nosed over, and either compressed into the ground or blacked out trying to pull out of the dive. I believe the "drunk" stories have been discarded. Although: In Soviet Russia, The Official Story Writes You! ;)

ok, do you know what their system is based on?
Russia is zero tolerance for DUI/DWI. (Wait, Russia has better laws than the United States on the subject? Ironic.)

That said, you can read about BAC measurements here. Could be percent content by mass instead of by volume...but I'm not a doctor.

My understanding is that the "accepted story", anyway, is that they realized the aircraft wasn't pressurized, nosed over, and either compressed into the ground or blacked out trying to pull out of the dive. I believe the "drunk" stories have been discarded. Although: In Soviet Russia, The Official Story Writes You! ;)

I don't know, I tend to believe *gasp* the KGB conclusion more than others, which is the spin due to either birdstrike or maneuvering to avoid an aircraft, compounded by lack of current altimeter setting from ATC.

Back