This is why...

sorrygottarunway

Eventful day, this is why you don't usually fly your C152 into Airmet Tangos.

IMG_0857.jpg

Don't worry, I'm back home safe and sound. I wish I could have gotten a photo of the two A-10s that buzzed me north of Reading, PA though. Some good VFR flight following did me:

"uhhh, approach, what fighter aircraft has 2 round nacelles above and behind the wing?"

"Cessna 784, that would be the 2 A-10s that just passed you to your 12 o'clock. Not a factor."

"Approach, verify I am radar contact for traffic advisories?"

"784 Affirmative"

"Then why wasn't that traffic called"

"784 believe me, they saw you"

MIKE D?????
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
ok I know he's not here. I just thought of him afterwards.

[ QUOTE ]
"Approach, verify I am radar contact for traffic advisories

[/ QUOTE ]

You are not guaranteed traffic advisories when you are VFR, even if you are "radar contact." ATC will provide them, free of charge, time permitting. His #1 priority is IFR traffic.

Can't depend on VFR flight following to spot all traffic. Its just another extra set of eyes, but you're on the bottom of their priority list.

[ QUOTE ]
I must be missing something, what's up with the instrument panel?

[/ QUOTE ]

Airmet "T" = bumpalicious!!!!

Ok, i get it now, I wasnt really paying attention to the bluriness so much as the readings!

[ QUOTE ]
Can't depend on VFR flight following to spot all traffic. Its just another extra set of eyes, but you're on the bottom of their priority list.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know, but I just found it a bit strange that with the thousands of advisories I had been getting over the past hour, she didn't mention the one bit of traffic that was about to buzz me (and I am talking within 1000ft altitude and 1 mile, and FAST.) Just freaked me out a bit... then, when she said she had the traffic, and "they saw you..." I just found it a bit... arrogant? Dangerous? I saw the spots in the distance, but they flew by so fast (I would guess not more than 250kts, I was at 4500).

Oh well, this is why I am going IFR for all subsequent flights.

Even IFR you probably would have been issued the traffic but when you are in VMC you are primarily responsible for separation.

[ QUOTE ]
(and I am talking within 1000ft altitude and 1 mile, and FAST.) .

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh come on.....100' and a mile is almost no factor!
laugh.gif

Back