This Is What A Black Hawk Helicopter Looks Like Through The Army's New Night Vision Goggles

4 was the best. Atlas mechs are a bitch move.

Fight me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You’ll know me. I’m the assclown hiding in the back missile boating in the Catapult…

Last edited:
tron.jpg

This movie was dope when it came out. Saw it in the theater as a kid and it blew me away. There was NOTHING like it, and the home computer revolution was years in the future. I mean, it was OUT there. Besides that, go over to Wiki and read how it was made, and how freekin' complicated it was photography wise. There's actually only a few minutes of actual computer animation.

BTW the actress in the poster is Lacy Underall from Caddyshack.

Tron Legacy was equally awesome and the Daft Punk soundtrack is on my play list.

True story, the green "vector graphics" from Escape from New York were too expensive to make at the time, so they built a matte black model of Manhattan and filmed the scenes using a blacklight. The edges of buildings and fill textures were marked-off with UV-reflective tape while a camera "flew" through the model.

efny-glider-3.jpg

man. You are a heck of a lot younger than I thought you were, if you were a kid when this came out in 1982. I thought you were close to retirement.

I only play an old grumpus on the interwebz. I have a, um, strange mix of traditional and eclectic principals.

For example, my SigOth and I have, like all couples, "the list". The list being that list of people it's ok to get with if fate transpires, but the chances are so unlikely as to approach zero. It's essentially a combination thought exercise and wishful thinking.

She dinged me on my list due to my eclectic tastes and made me do a revision because she figured some on my list may actually fall for my "game" (which anyone who knows me knows is absurd, because I have no game. At all. Ever.)

OPSEC???

Can see all the OPSEC folks going cray cray right about now

Fusion goggles were one of my wife’s programs 16 years ago… ( these are fusion). The intensifier with thermal edge highlights (this image) was about that time. FGE PSQ-36. Obviously the image has improved a lot since then, but this is nothing new

Fusion goggles were one of my wife’s programs 16 years ago… ( these are fusion). The intensifier with thermal edge highlights (this image) was about that time. FGE PSQ-36. Obviously the image has improved a lot since then, but this is nothing new

What's new is more about the data sharing and battlefield management components, and they certainly aren't talking about those in videos.

Yeah, if I could have the same performance as the latest white phosphor tubes in a lighter goggle, I'd be all over it. All this augmentation is just going to lead to scene interpretation issues for people working in stressful and time compressed environments.

Yeah, if I could have the same performance as the latest white phosphor tubes in a lighter goggle, I'd be all over it. All this augmentation is just going to lead to scene interpretation issues for people working in stressful and time compressed environments.

The 4 tubes were tested and specifically dropped due entirely to weight issues after the eval team fully admitted to the greater field of viewing and situation awareness.

The argument was the gain wasn’t worth both the short term mission fatigue increase and the long term health related impacts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

the WPs are better in some ways, worse in others. Ours are difficult to fine-tune focus since the crisp viewing area is very small, and you easily twist past it while tuning. I find them to have worse orbs with cultural lighting. But then again, I can’t wear NVGs anywhere within 20 miles or so of the city due to being too bright. When in enroute. I just fly unaided when well clear of obstacles and terrain. Saves on the goggle restriction time too.

The 4 tubes were tested and specifically dropped due entirely to weight issues after the eval team fully admitted to the greater field of viewing and situation awareness.

The argument was the gain wasn’t worth both the short term mission fatigue increase and the long term health related impacts.

The four tubes initially came out way back when I was in the A-10 still. We tried them, but the weight….especially with any G’s being pulled such as safe escape off target, and the fact that head movement under a single seat canopy was restricted side to side due to banging the outer tubes on the canopy….all made the cost of having the extra field of vision not at all worth it.

personally I’m expecting full HD color TV

Lol.. pnvgs were her other program. They accidentally got “outed” in Blackhawk down… so the owner of the company took the entire company to see the movie.

Anyways, WP is kind of the EOL for traditional tube designs. There’s some interesting application tech coming online ( white phosphor is hard to work with, reacts badly to the environment if there’s too much moisture, can be dangerous for the facility) The current issue with digital being response and delay time being greater than 115ms, causing motion sickness issues. You may see some 4 and 6 lens setups with nearly 180deg. Field of view soon- using almost a reverse image stabilization in that a 3d wide field of view is generated, but only 135 degrees presented so the user can look around inside the image faster than the scene actually updates. Not sure if that makes sense. Anyways, much much lighter.

Last edited:
Lol.. pnvgs were her other program. They accidentally got “outed” in Blackhawk down… so the owner of the company took the entire company to see the movie.

Anyways, WP is kind of the EOL for traditional tube designs. There’s some interesting application tech coming online ( white phosphor is hard to work with, reacts badly to the environment if there’s too much moisture, can be dangerous for the facility) The current issue with digital being response and delay time being greater than 115ms, causing motion sickness issues. You may see some 4 and 6 lens setups with nearly 180deg. Field of view soon- using almost a reverse image stabilization in that a 3d wide field of view is generated, but only 135 degrees presented so the user can look around inside the image faster than the scene actually updates. Not sure if that makes sense. Anyways, much much lighter.

My last unit had enough WPs that it was an expectation to always have them while deployed and at least have them for the front seats in a home environment.

I could still fly in Greens no issue, but I’m the truly single digit illumination or in the real painful contrasts and shadows like flying in aggressive terrain with a low angle for light source it was noticeably better to be on whites instead of greens.

Still after spending a decade flying with FLIR on a head tracking helmet mounted display, goggles suck. Give me fixed sensors and a computer that can fuse images together ala F-35. The hell with goggles and all their problems.

Last edited:
My last unit had enough WPs that it was an expectation to always have them while deployed and at least have them for the front seats in a home environment.

I could still fly in Greens no issue, but I’m the lowest of the low or in the real painful contrasts and shadows like flying in aggressive terrain with a low angle for light source it was noticeably better.

Still after spending a decade flying with FLIR on a head tracking helmet mounted display, goggles suck. Give me fixed sensors and a computer that can fuse images together ala F-35. The hell with goggles and all their problems.

Our eyes have issues with green contrast. Even If you had the same contrast ratios on green vs w, green is a lot more fatiguing in a stressful environment.

From a optical design perspective, traditional tubes suck- the tubes need a flat image plane projection otherwise you get really soft/oof performance out of the center circle, however to get large aperture glass to do that it’s either heavy/large elements or super expensive lab grown special elements up front. The analog systems simply will never be better.

Once they can get digital units up to par with Gen3 and alleviate motion/sensory issues it’ll be a game changer. Digital units can correct image issues in real time, use much smaller lens elements. They can also see wavelengths well below WP Tubes, so there may be another few years where new units could use illuminators and lasers that traditional units can’t see. Be nice to not give away your position to gen2/3 units for the ground guys.

Still better than those old single tube gen 2’s… I heard they had to reinforce the bumpers on the HMMWV’s because of them.

A la F35, I had heard Honeywell was using something like the Microsoft Hololens coupled to visible,ir, near IR sensors in a fused image to project almost “AR” like imagery for bisjet applications.

Not sure how I feel about being able to see through my airplane yet though.

The OPSEC comes from commercial security measures in sales of the systems. It’s why the FBI and other agencies get real interested in packages from certain manufacturers routing to certain locations.

This may be why we will never even fly over China.

Or maybe not.

“if” they are set up correctly, Fusion systems make it really really easy to pick up objects with a normal temperature between 97 and 100 degrees. Part of the continual problem with straight NV has always been that camo still works. I mean, if people are stupid and wash their uniform with the wrong color preserving/brightening detergent - then yes they stand, otherwise for ground troops camo still conceals. With fusion all those sneaky people are clearly Id’d. Fusion won’t be of any use for crews in aircraft though. The thermal element still can’t see through a window

Back