This guy is so cool

Bog

Right. Now, when I was a private pilot and new to the world of aviation, I always thought it'd be cool to take a 172 into LAX. However, I knew that, out of respect for those at work, I should only attempt such a maneuver at about 3am.

So why, then, is a Cirrus at IAD during one of the peak times of the day? What's wrong with Manassas or something else?

One Of These Things Is Not Like The Other...

[ QUOTE ]
Interesting how he's taxiing on the wrong line!

[/ QUOTE ]

The jet blast would probably melt his little plane.....
grin.gif

(sorry photopilot....just jiving)

Yeah, he was just ... clueless. He and a Shuttle Saab were in the penalty box awaiting their sequence inbetween the rest of us. IAD Ground tells this guy that he can wait with the Saab, who will fall in behind JB, then fall in behind ZW in front of me. Well, about 20 seconds later, he feels the need to back-taxi to where we are so he can join the line. Then, yes, follows the taxiway edge line, which worked to avoid that massive CRJ jet blast until the left turn down the way. Then he moved to the indside line.

Was almost funny when ZW's CRJ2 took the runway in front of this guy. He was lined up directly in line with the right engine and took a good rocking. If he'd just stayed on the centerline he would have been fine.

GA should not be at IAD, ORD, ATL, LAX, SFO, or the like. That's why we have hundreds of GA airports for each mainline hub.

Sorry, Bog, I gotta disagree. GA has as much right to be there as we do, and if you're going to do it, the Cirrus is one of the most capable GA airplanes there is. I've been in to lots of hubs in small airplanes and it can be done very safely and efficiently if the pilot is capable and has his/her head in the game.

I was in MEM last night during the FedEx rush in a Seminole.. I didn't cause any ruckus though..

[ QUOTE ]
GA should not be at IAD, ORD, ATL, LAX, SFO, or the like. That's why we have hundreds of GA airports for each mainline hub.

[/ QUOTE ]
Hmmph!

mad.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry, Bog, I gotta disagree. GA has as much right to be there as we do, and if you're going to do it, the Cirrus is one of the most capable GA airplanes there is. I've been in to lots of hubs in small airplanes and it can be done very safely and efficiently if the pilot is capable and has his/her head in the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

They may have a right to be there, but as BOG said, out of respect for others, they shouldn't be. Lets use LAX as an example.

Why would you need to fly into a busy airport like that if you have so many other options within 15 square miles of you? I'm sure you know more than other GA guys how hard it is for controllers to sequence these planes after each other.

I hold nothing against GA. I am GA 1-2 times per week. I stay out of most carriers way. At SNA they always try and squeeze out an extra GA plane or two before another arrival and departure. I just let them go. They've got flow windows and most importantly they've got a schedule to keep. I don't.

Personally, I'd be kinda scared to go into LAX in a 172. IF and only IF they can squeeze you in, your gonna be told to red line it to the numbers, and most likely your gonna be following in something that weighs over 100,000 and upto 600,000+ lbs. That would be some nasty Wake Turb. We get rolled 30-40 degrees every now and then.

I can only presume that you guys are thinking purely of C172's and Warriors when you talk about GA?

GA is a lot more than that, and there are plenty of GA aircraft that can and do have legitimate reasons for using the big fields.

I have a job to do just like the rest of you. That job often takes me into some of the busiest airspace in the country. I do whatever I can to fit in without holding anybody up and I think I'm pretty good at it. Approaches are rarely a problem- I can go from 160 to ref almost on a dime- though my a/c is a bit limited when it comes to climb speed/performance. If some of you holier than thou airline sissies don't like it, kiss my pasty white ass. I can just as easily do 100 instead of my usual 160 on the approach if you'd like. After all, I'm paid by the hour.
smirk.gif

"Holier than thou sissies." Sorry, I'm not holier than anyone, nor am I a sissy. Thanks, though.

My dad sits in the fast lane of the freeway and does 2 over the speed limit. He argues that he has a right to be there. Well, he does. But, what he doesn't realize is that he is creating a negative effect on freeway traffic that extends beyond himself and wreaks havoc for just about everyone behind him for miles.

I went into CLT the other day and was slowed, as usual, to 150 before even turning base. Normally you're slowed to that speed because of the Dashes; that day, it was because of a light twin. He was doing his own speed when the controller asked if he could do any faster. He could and did; great job! He was able to keep the pace with the normal (albeit slow) speed of the others. This guy in the Cirrus did NOT.

I flew GA for 12 years before getting my airline job. It would have been a blast to fly into LAX, LAS, IAH, DFW, PHX, or others, but I never did. Sure I had the right; hey I pay taxes. Out of respect for those who were working, though, I never did. When I was instructing out of SAT, which had an almost equal mix of GA and airline, I normally told controllers to let the airliners land before me whenver they could. It's courtesy.

Is GA more than 172s and Warriors? Yes it is, but even bizjets act like 172s. A corp guy landing at IAD one day apparently didn't pay attention to the massive amount of traffic on the APPCH freq, nor did he see the 30-aircraft lineup to depart, when he asked the tower "Is it OK if we take it to the end?" Another one landing in PHX focused only on exiting to the right, missing 3 highspeed exits to the left, and caused my flight to go around.

Having the right to do something doesn't always make it the smart thing to do.

[ QUOTE ]
Is GA more than 172s and Warriors? Yes it is, but even bizjets act like 172s. A corp guy landing at IAD one day apparently didn't pay attention to the massive amount of traffic on the APPCH freq, nor did he see the 30-aircraft lineup to depart, when he asked the tower "Is it OK if we take it to the end?" Another one landing in PHX focused only on exiting to the right, missing 3 highspeed exits to the left, and caused my flight to go around.

Having the right to do something doesn't always make it the smart thing to do.

[/ QUOTE ]

So a few awareness-challenged individuals mean that all GA should stay out of the high-traffic airline fields? I don't think so! I've seen plenty of bone-headed moves from regional and mainline "pro's" too, havent' you?

Saying that GA doesn't belong at those fields because of the few bad apples is like outlawing anybody over 50 from driving in the fast lane because of the way your dad drives there. Silly stuff either way.

If GA is to remain from the larger airports, can we get the regionals to stay away from the smaller airports. Its a distraction at a small airport for the interuption of a regional aircraft. You know, I am trying to do pattern work here to build my time!
sarcasm.gif

During my training they made me do Friday afternoon approaches at DTW in a 172SP. Did midnight TOL work as well with all the cargo heavies. Controllers never really complained, just worked us in had us land long on the runways and get on the first taxiway we could.

Yes, lets let only airliners fly out of major airports.
sarcasm.gif
Come on now guys, don't single out GA aircraft and pilots, after all we gotta start somewhere.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Interesting how he's taxiing on the wrong line!

[/ QUOTE ]

The jet blast would probably melt his little plane.....
grin.gif

(sorry photopilot....just jiving)

[/ QUOTE ]

shocked.gif
GASP! You've discovered the Cirrus secret: We melt when in the company of turbines!
grin.gif

I catch enough flak from JDflight on a daily basis to give me pretty thick skin. That said, going into MSP, we can (and do) hold 170 on the ILS until we have to burn the speed for landing. There are certainly ways to operate light GA aircraft safely and courteously in busy airspace. If I have legitimate business in a busy Bravo, you'll see me there. But not on the wrong taxi line, in the penalty box, or slowing you down on final.
wink.gif

I flew into IAH once in a C182RG while I was working on my commercial, which is about as ambitious as I got. Then again, I landed there at about 1:00 AM. Thank god I just did a touch and go and didn't try to taxi to an FBO. The alphabet soup-like taxi clearances at IAH would've surely resulted in bad things. Little did I know how intimately familiar I'd have to become with that airport a year later....

There are only a few places that I think the Weekend Warriors should stay out of and those are pretty much the same places that the student pilot signoffs for class B arent valid for. I mean MEM is class B, but was never a big deal flying smaller a/c into. I had to fly in and out of IAD while I was GA b/c we had a job to do there, not bc i wanted to land at a cool airport!

I was assuming bog was just talking about the weekend warriors and such who are really better suited for a grass field or a small backwoods airport, but I guess not.

Ninah won ninah sugah poppa looking for flight followin', ova!

[ QUOTE ]
I was assuming bog was just talking about the weekend warriors and such who are really better suited for a grass field or a small backwoods airport, but I guess not.

[/ QUOTE ]

For the most part, yes. There are plenty of other airports in the IAD / DCA area. The 4 guys in this Cirrus appeared to be out joyriding, not doing serious business. Normally, the pilots who fly into these places for business know how to mix in with the flow.

Back