This Airport Is Weighing Overweight Passengers

Oxman

http://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/new...rs-—-and-thats-not-okay/ar-BBx550l?li=BBnb4R7

Pago Pago International Airport in American Samoa implemented a new policy that prohibits customers who are flying on Hawaiian Airlines from pre-selecting their seats. The reasoning behind the new policy is extremely controversial. In order to meet airplane weight and balance requirements, gate agents will now be "eyeballing" passengers' weights. In certain circumstances, the agents may also ask a passenger to be weighed before he or she is seated.

If you're thinking this sounds pretty offensive, you would be correct. The New York Post reports that two men, Avamua Dave Haleck and Daniel King, have already filed formal complaints to the U.S. Transportation Department. While speaking about the policy onRadio New Zealand, Haleck addressed Hawaiian Airlines' claim that the new policy is strictly a matter of safety by asking, "So have we been flying unsafe for all these years?" Good point.

We'll have to wait and see how long this policy actually remains in effect, but the fact that people are already outraged within days of its announcement should send a definitive message to the airport and the airline.

They would have a fit if they flew on the CRJ when we have to play musical chairs to make our weight and balance.

Didn't some airline in the Samoas start charging by weight like 5 years ago? Which is pretty effed when you consider how large Samoans generally are (not fat necessarily, just a big natural born rugby player people)

We'll have to wait and see how long this policy actually remains in effect, but the fact that people are already outraged within days of its announcement should send a definitive message to the airport and the airline.

If they can get Boeing to change the weight and balance envelope of the 767-300 then it may change. Otherwise... I doubt it.

There is a ton (hehe) of data showing that the average passenger weight on this route is nowhere close to the average passenger weights used for the W&B program. The solutions is either this, send a different type of aircraft (no way HA is sending a 330 to a compact coral runway) or stop service.

I've seen a lot of people in their early 20's, that kept their lifestyle they lead into their 30's and lets just say if they started a rap group, it would be "Heavy D and the Boyz"!
I think I kept my lifestyle from my teens into my 20's

I made it to 184 by the age of 63, and that's more than my genetically-designed knees were meant to carry.

I won't "supersize" anything these days and often leave food on the plate if I eat out, without regard for the starving millions on the planet.

We need far less than we believe, not just to "get by" but to prosper.

Weigh away, say I. Fatties can take the bus, or stay home to gorge.

Slam away, if you will.

And while we're about it, don't mind talking about a shower and clean clothes before going out in public. Guess I just miss the early nineteen-sixties ...

I didn't realize that weight-and-balance and flight safety had to be sensitive to peoples' feelings. Learn something new every day.

At good ole K5 we used to ask every passenger their weight. Before I had my CSEL I was a customer service agent and part of my job was asking EVERY passenger for their weight. I would approach this apparently delicate question while looking at their identification. "Is the weight on your I.D still accurate?" Oh boy, the range of looks, answers and comments I received for that question was quite vast. We would also ad 10 to said weight in most cases. This would tend to be vital when we were full, any weight above 8700 we would actually seat assign the passengers aft forward heavy to light. Glad those days are behind me lol

I didn't realize that weight-and-balance and flight safety had to be sensitive to peoples' feelings. Learn something new every day.

Did you know there's actually an association for the acceptance of fat people? No joke.

I guess it's easier to join a group of like minded individuals and slap each other on the back than changing your diet and getting off your lazy butt.

This is the standard "Asked weight" program for Part 135 operators with 9 or less pax.

Yep. Made for some mean stares from passengers at times, also a few times I added slightly more than 10 when they would tell me they still weighed 120 which was obviously not accurate.

Back