Third week at Dallas location

CapnJim

Hey all.
New to the forum, but not to the site. I'm in the ACP program at Dallas, so far so good. Anyone considering the program, lemmie know and I'll give you the inside gouge as far as I know it.

I would like to hear something about the Dallas location. I'm also pretty sure some others would too. Any information you can pass along would be beneficial to us all.

Thanks

Well, I got a PM from someone asking about the quality of instruction and whether or not the fast pace would negatively impact your ability to train effectively. I wrote back saying that the instructors are top notch, but they do push you to meet the checkride schedule (presumably to meet the 90 days), but that they are always willing to slow down for a minute if there's a manuver your having difficulty with (Like the Vmc demo- quite a handfull the first time you try it). It goes without saying that if you're not ready for a checkride, then sing out. No point in wasting $300 on an examiner if you are reasonably sure you're not going to pass. The accelerated pace is a bonus as far as I can see. If I'm going to get 140 hours of time in a Seminole, then I'd rather get it flying all day 7 days a week rather than over several months. The manuvers and procedures are going to be more ingrained into muscle memory the more intense the training is (think fighter pilot training).
As with any business or organization, there are the netgatives. The schedules are somewhat vague, and theres a lot of 'hurry up and wait' due to weather, checkrides overriding other training flights, waiting on planes to get back from other locations... the usual troubles. Also, you should be aware that the 50 of the 190 multi hours are in a simulator-- so you're really only getting 140 hours of true multi-engine time. This really isn't such a big deal- at the Dallas location, they have the AST300 FTD with the Garmin 430 GPS-- pretty cool. Moreover, almost all of the sim time is in prep for the instrument checkride. The benefit there is that instead of having to go missed for every practice approach and wasting time flying back around to set up again the instructor can push a button and have you on a 30 degree intercept to the inbound course in a heartbeat.
The piece de la resistance though is the Seminole. I came from a 150hp C-172 with a dodgy ADF and leaky air vents, now I've got 180HP on each wing and a stack of dual Garmin 430's. Feels like a rocket ship the first time you pull it off the ground, and when it comes unstuck- man, does it want to climb. Can't wait for the Citation ride
laugh.gif

If any one else has any questions, please ask.

I thought the sim time was unlimited? whenever it was open, it was all yours, adding to the 190hrs....bummer

Hey Dubbs- the sim time IS umlimited; you can go in at pretty much any time of the day (and sometimes night),sim till your hearts content, then log it as ground trainer. Of the 190 hours, however, 50 is sim time.

As the Dallas instructor who wears the "Mr. Sim" hat, I can assure you that you are encouraged to fly the machine as often as possible. It's brand new, but like any FTD, if you can fly the heck out of it (which I know Jim can), you can fly the heck out of the plane (which I hear Jim can). When the weather is at 100 - 3/4 like this morning, the sim is a good way to prevent rust.

A max of 50 hours is 'creditable' toward your Commercial, and 20 toward your IRA; it doesn't go toward anything thereafter. It is a point that must be understood by all potential students: You can put 1500 hours of AST300-1400 time in your book, but it goes nowhere other than making you a sharper pilot.

On top of that, the off hours 'solo' practice isn't logged, just the dual with an instructor.

The baby is a-shouting at me.

frown.gif

See you tomorrow, Capn' Slappy.

And now I can personally verify that Jim can fly the heck out of a Seminole.

I administered his insurance checkride the other night- we launched into scuzzy (just below freezing level in rain, variable layers, etc) night VFR on a short-leg round-robin and didn't really help him out for a damned thing.

He did fantastic (as did Adam, his flight partner), not to mention the unforecast 25kt direct Xwind on landing. Guh. No problem.

Also... the literally **flawless** partial panel maneuvering and non-precision approach work a few days prior.

I give the credit to his innate ability as a pilot and his instructor, but I guarantee the sim enabled him to get so damned good in a few weeks.

Back