Third Class Medical after DWI/marijuana posession PBJ

mhbourne

On the way back from a high school reunion this summer I was arrested in Maryland in June for DWI (blew a .07 at the station) and a search of the car discovered a small amount (2g) of Marijuana. I was given Probation Before Judgment (Maryland's non conviction form of deferred adjudication for first offenders) and no action was taken against my (Washington state) commercial drivers license and I don't believe anything was reported to the NDR. This is my first brush with the law (except a couple speeding tickets.)

I've since cleaned up my act and attended court ordered meetings, tested clean etc... I would like to pursue a private pilot certificate and am wondering how much trouble I would have trouble getting a third class medical certificate. obviously these are reportable actions. I am wondering what sort of hoops the FAA will make me jump through. Also should I go ahead and pursue the medical now? Or should I just hold off for a couple years so I could (honestly) answer that I had not used drugs in the previous 2 years. I'm loving learning to fly and regret that I only came to it after this stupid mistake.

How far are you in learning how to fly? You'll have to blow off the solo without a medical but you can still do a lot of flying with a CFI.

Ju
How far are you in learning how to fly? You'll have to blow off the solo without a medical but you can still do a lot of flying with a CFI.
Just a few lessons. I think I'll keep talking lessons casually and then really go for it once I can get the medical. I plan on doing a lot of reading too and maybe be ready to head right into an instrument rating then too.

Back