Thinking of leaving

First off, I wish the best for you in regards to your health. I read this thread and even though I currently work two jobs just to get by while in training, all I can think about is that day I get offered a job to fly for a living. However, I will not try to talk you out of leaving. I did a quick search and thought maybe these might give you some insight to different jobs that may fit your experience and education. The best thing to do is to prepare a general resume, highlighting your education and experiences involving safety (maybe a collateral duty that you have had in your past). Register with some of the job finder websites (indeed, career builder, monster etc...) I registered a few months back and have had companies contact me on a daily basis via email and phone calls about job opportunities, some of them I feel sick for turning down in order to chase my dream as there are a good amount of decent paying jobs out there. In fact, I turned down an interview opportunity with Columbia helicopters (avionics tech) a few weeks back, hopefully I will not regret that. Best of luck, Sir

https://www.usajobs.gov/JobSearch/Search/GetResults?keyword=ntsb

http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org.../ahr/jobs_careers/occupations/av_safety_insp/

http://www.indeed.com/q-Aviation-Safety-jobs.html

Derg said:
Suggestion: Keep flying until you figure out what you want to do. I enjoy the hell out of my job but I am also open to the notion that this may not be my "life's destination". But I'm not about to walk away from it. Hell no.
I'm trying to get the wife a raise and just retire. @CaptBill and I discussed the idea of riding cycles all day and wife have dinner, drink, and entertainment ready on our return.

Hopefully @Kristie and @Toria don't get too mad at me. 8).

I'm going to suggest that you look at your problems a little differently. You're in a place you don't want to be in life and you have cancer. You want a spouse, kids, regular schedules and to be healthy. The question is: How do you achieve that? First of all, I think you should be focusing on your life and not on your career. Are there clinics or facilities that you might consider living by that would help you get better? Is there a climate that would better facilitate your recovery? I think if you focus on making yourself a more "whole person" in health and live your life doing what you love, not what you don't, your problems will begin to solve themselves. We all make the vain assumptions that we are in control of our futures, at least I used to feel that way. As I've aged, I have come to the conclusion that life is more about managing the cards that we are dealt. Life does not always deliver to us what we want, it delivers what the universe calls for.
Instead of trying to solve your dilemmas by finding the ideal job, why don't you just focus on you and go where that takes you. You will likely get better sooner and you will have better opportunities to live a more normal lifestyle healthy vs unhealthy. Being healthy, you will feel better and that will lead to other opportunities and so on.....A healthier body will produce a healthier attitude. A healthier attitude makes you more attractive. Being more attractive gets you more attention, and more attention gets you better job offers and potentially the lifestyle you so strongly desire.
A career change isn't what you need, a different perspective is. If you can't get what you want by going in the front door, try a side door or walk around to the back door.
What you want is not out of reach, you just have to start by focusing on you. It will surprise you how easy and naturally the rest of the puzzle pieces will fall into place by doing that.

I'm trying to get the wife a raise and just retire. @CaptBill and I discussed the idea of riding cycles all day and wife have dinner, drink, and entertainment ready on our return.

Hopefully @Kristie and @Toria don't get too mad at me. 8).
I rode all day but Tori is planting flowers and playing in the garden. When I got back, I had to get my own beer if you can believe that.... Deep down, I don't really think she's embracing our plan. Perhaps we need a new plan? Or a new bike?

CaptBill said:
I rode all day but Tori is planting flowers and playing in the garden. When I got back, I had to get my own beer if you can believe that.... Deep down, I don't really think she's embracing our plan. Perhaps we need a new plan? Or a new bike?
At least you didn't say new toria. 8) What bike would be next? What about the corvette?

I smoked the turkey but Terri made the rest of dinner and kept bringing me drinks to the deck. Does that count?

At least you didn't say new toria. 8) What bike would be next? What about the corvette?

I smoked the turkey but Terri made the rest of dinner and kept bringing me drinks to the deck. Does that count?
No corvette.... yet. Lots of drool over several bikes out there. Indian, BMW, and H-D is supposed come out with a new Road Glide in 2015. I'll sit on my hands for now and work on learning how to fly. Tori is MIA in Tucson. I think our 1000 mile ride to the Texas State HOG Rally in Abilene this past weekend did her in.

Last edited:
Sorry I dont' have time to read all the posts above...Sorry if this is redundant...
but United just posted a job for 'Safety Officer" basically Accident Investigations.
They mainly want exp. pilots. Good luck.
Just remember, flying is like riding a bike. At least you can point to one and say, "I used to do that"....

Sorry I dont' have time to read all the posts above...Sorry if this is redundant...
but United just posted a job for 'Safety Officer" basically Accident Investigations.
They mainly want exp. pilots. Good luck.
Just remember, flying is like riding a bike. At least you can point to one and say, "I used to do that"....

Would you happen to know where that is posted? I'm looking but not finding it.

I'm glad people are being helpful as you came across as a dick..... Well, drama Queen. Sorry you re sick, it happens. No, my response is not meant to be helpful but again, I am glad some people were

Last edited:
No corvette.... yet. Lots of drool over several bikes out there. Indian, BMW, and H-D is supposed come out with a new Road Glide in 2015. I'll sit on my hands for now and work on learning how to fly. Tori is MIA in Tucson. I think our 1000 mile ride to the Texas State HOG Rally in Abilene this past weekend did her in.

Hey, are you guys taking applications for your "scooter club"? Sold the FJR last spring (after my ticket on the Tail of the Dragon) but getting the bug again? I need a hobby other than golfing with the geriatric club......

Hey, are you guys taking applications for your "scooter club"? Sold the FJR last spring (after my ticket on the Tail of the Dragon) but getting the bug again? I need a hobby other than golfing with the geriatric club......
I ride every weekend and almost any day I'm home. I live in NE Houston. You're always welcome to ride with me. I'm also an officer in the Woodlands HOG Chapter. You can come ride in a larger group ride (20 to 50 bikes) as my guest if you like. I ride by myself often and sometimes I will go do the group thing. Either way, you are welcome. I can't believe you got a ticket on the Dragon. I saw cops there when we were there three weeks ago but they seemed pretty cool about stuff. Sorry about that....
Tracy can come too if he ever comes back down.

I ride every weekend and almost any day I'm home. I live in NE Houston. You're always welcome to ride with me. I'm also an officer in the Woodlands HOG Chapter. You can come ride in a larger group ride (20 to 50 bikes) as my guest if you like. I ride by myself often and sometimes I will go do the group thing. Either way, you are welcome. I can't believe you got a ticket on the Dragon. I saw cops there when we were there three weeks ago but they seemed pretty cool about stuff. Sorry about that....
Tracy can come too if he ever comes back down.

Thanks....if my better half ever allows me to get another bike I'll be down there. My wife was born and raised in NE Houston.

As far as the ticket goes, it was just prior to the Dragon entrance and we had only been on our bikes about 15 mins up to that point. It was a park ranger who pulled us over as we came around a corner. I didn't even know they had the ability to give speeding tickets.

The third guy in our group (ex Blue Angel) got off with just a warning. The Ranger was an alumni of the same college (Kansas State) my buddy went to and he noticed it on the license plate frame. Oh well, we had fun anyway!

Be careful.

Back