Thinking of buying the PNB Stealth 22", any input?

DesertDriver

As far as what brand to buy, I know this topic pops up every once in a while and there are people on both sides. For the moment I'm set on getting worry free luggage that I don't need to replace under a warranty every so often, and the premium seems worth it to me.

This will be my first roller case I'm preemptively buying for the regionals and I'm curious to know exactly what you all can fit into these things. Lets say the minimum is a 15" laptop, extra pair of shoes, toiletry necessities, and a suit; what else could you pack? Should I buy the "suiter" 22" if I want to pack dress shirts and suits?

If you have suggestions for the flight bag I'm all ears as well, but that buy I'll reserve further down the road for groundschool.

Edit: Did anyone get a custom handle, too cheesy?

Love mine. Worth the $ IMO. I'm able to carry enough for 6 days plus snacks that don't go in my lunch box. A computer would fit in the backside pocket just make sure you take it out before you give it to the savage baggage masters.

I wish I'd bought the 26, you could definitely get in past the gate agent and who doesn't need an extra inch or four?

I am on the road for 8-9 days at a time though.

My 22 has been bullet proof, on the road for 9 months and looks nearly new.

Take a look at Strongbags too.

As far as what brand to buy, I know this topic pops up every once in a while and there are people on both sides. For the moment I'm set on getting worry free luggage that I don't need to replace under a warranty every so often, and the premium seems worth it to me.

This will be my first roller case I'm preemptively buying for the regionals and I'm curious to know exactly what you all can fit into these things. Lets say the minimum is a 15" laptop, extra pair of shoes, toiletry necessities, and a suit; what else could you pack? Should I buy the "suiter" 22" if I want to pack dress shirts and suits?

If you have suggestions for the flight bag I'm all ears as well, but that buy I'll reserve further down the road for groundschool.

Edit: Did anyone get a custom handle, too cheesy?

Your employer may have a discount on the luggage... I'd wait to buy until ground school if you can...

Id buy the 22 light weight version. I love my bag, but its very heavy when packed for a 4 day. It hasnt helped me get into a body building career yet either.

For what it's worth... Been dragging my $99 Costco bag for close to 7 years now... Still looks new!

Buy it. It's a great bag.

Mine has held up well too. Buy one, no regrets.

Heavy, yes - but I don't pick it up often. It does well with all the crap you will hang of off it though. Not many bags deal with a laptop bag/cooler/chart case - welcome to being a well dressed hobo.

Does anyone have experience with the "suiter model" Is it worth the extra 20 or so? I think I might do the 26" as well after some input from people at work as well.

I've had both the 22" and the 26".. My original 22" lasted about 6 years before the seams just blew. I think had it lived under other circumstances, it would have still been trucking. I've thought about selling it cheap to someone who wants to pay to refurb it. It'll come back like new, for a little less than the normal cost of a bag. My pops gave me 2 of his old ones so I don't need it.

I have the custom handle on mine.. When you're getting off a deadhead and there are 5 PNB's sitting there, it's nice to walk up and say "mine!" without wondering. ;)

I've had both the 22" and the 26".. My original 22" lasted about 6 years before the seams just blew. I think had it lived under other circumstances, it would have still been trucking. I've thought about selling it cheap to someone who wants to pay to refurb it. It'll come back like new, for a little less than the normal cost of a bag. My pops gave me 2 of his old ones so I don't need it.

I have the custom handle on mine.. When you're getting off a deadhead and there are 5 PNB's sitting there, it's nice to walk up and say "mine!" without wondering. ;)

So if you could choose again, would it be the 22 or 26"? The extra $ for the 26 doesn't really bother be, I just don't want to regret it later when I DH or commute and can't fit it in the overhead. Have you ever packed a suit into either the 22 or 26? I'd really like to be able to do that and have just one bag for everything.

And unless you're in the PHX area I think the expense of shipping might be cost prohibitive to refurb that bag and then get it back to me, unless LW pays for shipping?

The only time I really remember the 26" being an issue is on a dead head where you're the last guy on and there would have been room for the 22" but there's no room for the 26". Doesn't happen enough to worry about, I'd go with the 26" if I had to choose. However, if you're planning on commuting, the 22" may save you some headache.

I've never packed a suit in one..

Save the 26" for guys doing 10+ day trips. The 22" or 22" narrow "737"model is more than enough for the worst of regional schedules. I have packed a suit in my normal 22" many times, no problem at all, just leave it in the suit bag you hang it in the closet with. I suppose it all depends on if you are a packrat or a minimalist. Nothing is worse than trying to catch the early hotel van but having to wait for someone to hang 6 accessory bags from their roller, then undo it all to go up a couple stairs. Just my 2 cents...

Wouldn't the guy with the 26" bag NOT be the guy with the 6 extra bags?

When I was carrying the 22", I'd carry an extra bag with running shoes and work out clothes. When I switched to the 26" that bag went away.

Wouldn't the guy with the 26" bag NOT be the guy with the 6 extra bags?

When I was carrying the 22", I'd carry an extra bag with running shoes and work out clothes. When I switched to the 26" that bag went away.

Yea that is what someone else was telling me as well, if you want an extra pair of shoes or something the 26 is nice. So the only time you'd really pay for it is in a last on DH situation without much space in the overhead? Gate agents or FA's don't really care as long as it fits?

So it sounds like the cons of the 26 are its weight and possible size restraints while commuting/DH, but benefits being less extra baggage overall and either 3 or 10 day trips you are good to go. Hrmm.... anything else?

The only cons concerning the 26" that I found was on a deadhead/commute. No gate agents or FA's ever said a word. You generally show up in uniform, they tend to think you know what you're doing. ;)

I tend to carry 2 sets of uniform clothes and then a set of "going to eat" clothes. I will usually look at my schedule and see if there is time to go be a civilian. If I have time, I'll take clothes, if not, I pack light. ;)

The only cons concerning the 26" that I found was on a deadhead/commute. No gate agents or FA's ever said a word. You generally show up in uniform, they tend to think you know what you're doing. ;)

Alright well I guess my only concern is this interview trip I have coming up where I won't be in uniform. Worst comes to worse they just gate check it right?

Back