Thinking about dropping the $230/mo crashpad expense...

I haven't read through this whole thread, but I know of a crashpad in LGA that you only pay $25/day up until you spend $150 for the month then its free. I think is called the Z pad or something. That would save you at least $80/month.

Forgot about that, there are a ton of crashpads with daily rates or weekly rates. Look around, ask crews from other airlines that are based up there.

If you cannot find $550 for a nice apartment in the Detroit area you are not looking hard enough.

Been there, done that. Go towards Ann Arbor on I94, look around Belleville.

Your definition of "nice" must be a hell of a lot different than mine. Nothing in Belleville comes close to being "nice." The Harbor Club Apartments seem to be "base housing" for most regional FOs in Detroit, and they go for $600/mo or so, but be prepared to have your neighbors smoking/selling pot all the time. In order to get anything decent you need to go out close to Ann Arbor or go up to some place like Canton, MI. Canton is really nice, but you'll have to drop $800/mo. It's worth it, in my opinion to stay away from Belleville.

Plymouth, Ann Arbor, Ypsi, Canton and Farmington Hills are about the only places we're looking at right now. We discussed moving downtown, but we're not quite sure we want to limit ourselves to the 5 blocks we're willing to live within. I've already lived in a slum where I should have bought a gun, I'm not doing that one again.

actually harbor club is about $800+ for a one bedroom right now

I think a large part of the problem is that a lot of people are losing their homes and are now renting apartments thus keeping the prices up and making it hard to find decent housing for not a ton of money

actually harbor club is about $800+ for a one bedroom right now

I think a large part of the problem is that a lot of people are losing their homes and are now renting apartments thus keeping the prices up and making it hard to find decent housing for not a ton of money

The irony is they could probably rent a house for less b/c of all the people trying to sell their houses but can't find buyers. Have you and John looked into that? We'll probably wind up renting out our house in MEM when we finally move to MCO just b/c the real estate market is so down around here.

Aren't houses in Michigan like $30,000 or something? I heard they were selling for less than the materials required to build them. If you guys are planning on hanging out there why not utilize some Government cheese ($8k tax credit) and buy a house?

Wow, this thread is still going? :)

What did you only want one page of "support" for the situation you got yourself into (that you knew about before hand) and then for it to die. Fact is alot of people took the time to give you good ideas and all you want to do female dog it and complain.
Thats great....
:banghead:

Aren't houses in Michigan like $30,000 or something? I heard they were selling for less than the materials required to build them. If you guys are planning on hanging out there why not utilize some Government cheese ($8k tax credit) and buy a house?

Lots of reasons, most of them involve thinking ahead a few years.

Yes houses are incredibly cheap back home right now. The $30,000 houses are in places you don't want to drive through, much less live. We could find a condo in Ann Arbor for $60,000 and a respectable house for around $120,000.

The problem being we don't know where we're going to end up living in the state. The Detroit area is HUGE and if you live in Plymouth and end up working over in St.Claire Shores, you'll end up driving 2 hours each way to work. If I'm working 60 hours a week, that's not time I want to lose.

If we buy a house right now, I don't think we'll be able to sell it in 3 years when I'm done with school. If we end up getting jobs in Lansing or Kalamazoo, we'd be in some serious trouble as we'd end up paying a mortgage on a house we can't live in.

Further, we need a few things out of an apartment that most people don't think about. We have to have a private entrance to the apartment as nearly every apartment complex has cats in it, whether they allow them or not. I've got a cat allergy so bad that if I'm locked in a room with a cat for 48 hours I'd be dead, so I've quite literally been hanging out at a friends place with a cat in an apartment down the hallway and after about an hour I'm already having problems breathing. This requirement drives up the cost of the apartment, but it's something we're unable to compromise on.

So basically we're purchasing mobility with continuing to rent. Believe me, we'd prefer to say, "Hey, let's just buy a place and get a job in Ann Arbor!!!" But, IMO, that's an incredibly high risk to take, especially when you consider that I'm about to take out $100,000 for law school.

I know a few guys who bought and lived in mobile homes. If I were single I would consider that. Not sure how your wife is up on that or not though. They were around $15k or so and around $300/month to lease the land.

We're not going to buy a house for a few reasons (as John explained), but as a point of note, I have been looking at houses for the last 3ish weeks and I haven't found one yet that was in our price range and wasn't a total dump. The $30,000 houses that you hear about don't exist because as soon as they are listed they are sold, and anything that's around $60k needs probably another $40k in work on it.

With that, we also don't have the $$ for a down payment anyway...

What did you only want one page of "support" for the situation you got yourself into (that you knew about before hand) and then for it to die. Fact is alot of people took the time to give you good ideas and all you want to do female dog it and complain.
Thats great....
:banghead:

Wow, that's pretty harsh! I wasn't complaining, just defending my reasons to stay here. Complain? I don't see any complaints - just defending. I didn't expect 6 pages so far. I feel quite lucky to have so many people on this board brain-storming for me and concerned for my well-being.

We're not going to buy a house for a few reasons (as John explained), but as a point of note, I have been looking at houses for the last 3ish weeks and I haven't found one yet that was in our price range and wasn't a total dump. The $30,000 houses that you hear about don't exist because as soon as they are listed they are sold, and anything that's around $60k needs probably another $40k in work on it.

With that, we also don't have the $$ for a down payment anyway...

When you get serious about it, just keep looking and stick to your guns. We had a budget of ~100k, and saw like 10 places that looked like hell. Finally, we found our house.

To the OP: It sounds like you want champagne on a beer budget. You have some choices to make, hopefully they won't cost you your life. I can't think of a worse existence than traveling across country, sleeping in a crew room, working a few days, and then flying back. I would rather sack groceries and live in my car than do that.

Back