Think It's Hard To Get Hired By SWA? Try Virgin Galactic!

Hacker15e

Who am I? Where are my pants?
If you think it's tough for your resume to stack up at "flavors of the week" carriers like SWA and FEDEX (cue the 'Space Shuttle time' jokes), try Virgin Galactic, where even Shuttle time isn't good enough.

After combing through a long list of astronauts, fighter pilots, and space geeks, British billionaire Richard Branson named a new astronaut pilot to join his start-up space venture that aims to lift paying passengers into space.

Branson's company Virgin Galactic announced Wednesday that former U.S. Air Force test pilot Keith Colmer will join chief pilot David Mackay to begin flight training and testing of the company's revolutionary aircraft, WhiteKnightTwo and SpaceShipTwo.

Colmer was selected from more than 500 applicants, which included about 10 current and former astronauts...

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-1027-spaceship-pilot-20111027,0,3248060.story

Re: Think It's Hard To Get Hired By SWA? Try Virgin Galacti

Seems like he trumps Mackay to me - though might be appealing to some, sounds like an endeavor I would rather watch from the ground. Most of what Burt does would scare me, I did fly a Long EZ once though.

A while ago they posted the job requirements, which included test pilot school. He is going to be instructing though. Maybe the requirements for regular pilots will be lower.

I still plan on applying.

There are 3x as many astronauts as airship pilots. Just saying. :bandit::bandit:

I wonder if the FAA will add 'rocket powered' soon to the list of aircraft requiring a type rating?

A while ago they posted the job requirements, which included test pilot school. He is going to be instructing though. Maybe the requirements for regular pilots will be lower.

True but I can still see VG wanting former shuttle commanders/pilots or test pilots though.

Must have done ATPs rocket transition program.

"flavors of the week" carriers like SWA and FEDEX"

What is a "flavor of the week" carrier? Care to explain?

The carrier's that everyone raves about applying to, working for, etc. They change week to week, with the two above ones being the most common flavors.

As Daff said, it's the companies that everyone wants to work for today. SWA and FedEx weren't the pretty girls at the dance 10 years ago, and they probably won't be them 10 years from now, either.

Pan Am, Braniff, Eastern, etc, were the flavors of the week back in the day.

I wonder if the FAA will add 'rocket powered' soon to the list of aircraft requiring a type rating?

It's going to share a type with the 777.

(Does anyone understand this tongue-in-cheek, or should I relegate myself to A.net?)

I wonder if they will have assigned seating or if it will be open seating like SWA?

Assigned. I wonder if passengers will wear space suits, or sweatpants and wife beaters, like SWA.

Do you have to be in CASS to jumpseat?

I hear (insert aviation university here) is getting a flow-through agreement with Virgin Galactic :D

Grannies, Gays, Grandes and Galactic

Back