Things to do at IAH?

We need more passengers like you in the terminals....but good luck getting a free lunch from a pilot at work. You'd have better luck with mechanics, too bad they don't allow those guys indoors.

Well, I wouldn't expect a free lunch from a regional pilot, I know how much they make. I'd be better off buying them lunch... But maybe a mainline CA. It's happened before:rolleyes:

and WF, thanks for the kudos on the blog.

K

Sure! The toolbag-to-normal-person ratio in IAH is amongst the highest in the country. So, since CAL dumped 25% of XJT's flying and gave it to CHQ, said IAH toolboxes use it as a somewhat thin excuse to engage in what they do best: Being idiotic, ignorant, obnoxious, spoiled little white kids.

For this and many other reasons, George Bush Intercontinental Airport has been unofficially christened "The Toolshed".

I still laugh when I hear "The Toolshed."

Since when is EWR the preppy base? Is that because they don't wear cowboy boots and chew tobacco in the plane?

Alchemy I don't know where BFE Canada is...but include me in the group that enjoys Quebec, Montreal, Halifax, St Johns and Ottawa. (and Vancouver too).

Sure! The toolbag-to-normal-person ratio in IAH is amongst the highest in the country. So, since CAL dumped 25% of XJT's flying and gave it to CHQ, said IAH toolboxes use it as a somewhat thin excuse to engage in what they do best: Being idiotic, ignorant, obnoxious, spoiled little white kids.

For this and many other reasons, George Bush Intercontinental Airport has been unofficially christened "The Toolshed".

HOWEVER: There are still many, many cool pilots and FA's in Houston. They hate the minority of douchebags that give the rest of them a bad name as much as everyone else. It's not that IAH is all toolbags, it's just that they have a disproportionately higher percentage than anyone else.

FURTHER: If you are an IAH crewmember, and this post irritates you, guess which category you fall under?

haha...easy killer. j/k. I decided to move to IAH so I could afford to live in base. As soon as I started telling my EWR capts about my move I have caught unlimited amounts of crap. Guess I will have to find out things the hard way huh? I really hope I fall into the "however" category....guess we will see.

I still laugh when I hear "The Toolshed."

Since when is EWR the preppy base? Is that because they don't wear cowboy boots and chew tobacco in the plane?

Alchemy I don't know where BFE Canada is...but include me in the group that enjoys Quebec, Montreal, Halifax, St Johns and Ottawa. (and Vancouver too).

I was wondering about the preppy thing too. I.. I'm just not seein' it. I' ma little confused about the 'too cool for school' line and the 'FA's they could've slept with', and the other stuff too. I've been based in EWR for over two and a half years, and haven't seen any of that stuff. Maybe one or two in CLE, and a handfull in IAH, but EWR? One word: Fuggetaboudit.

Again I'd like to reiterate that the 'Toolshed' epithet that IAH has been given is somewhat unfair; the overwhelming majority of crews down there are awesome guys, good pilots, and pleasant to be around. Houston just has an unfortunate 15% douchebag level, as opposed to CLE's 10% and EWR's 5%. All the bases have douchebags, but for some reason IAH just drew the short straw.

As for the overnights, there are some awesome places in Canada, yes-- but there's some awesome places in Mexico too. Veracruz? Puerto Vallarta? Guanajuato? Those are niiiiiiiiiiice.

Also in favor of IAH: If I were a commuter, I would bid IAH, no question. The lines are all commutable, and you know you're going to finish ontime, unlike EWR, which is ground stop hell, and very, very few pairings that don't start at 0600 and end at 1800. But then, I live like 20 minutes away from EWR so that dosen't bother me in the slightest, and I'm banging out overs like a champ. So, long story short, all the bases have their ups and downs, and it's really all a question of what's important to you. While we like to rib one another about this or that, there's one thing we can all agree on:

CLE sucks.

I don't know what airline the people who talk about the "banging the flight attendants" work for, but it can't be ExpressJet. Since I've been online, I've only flown with about 4 I'd consider.......compatible with my preferences. We have a lot more hot female captains and female fo's than we do flight attendants, and I'm not talking about proportionately.

Ah, BFE Canada must be Toronto then. :p

Actually, I think Toronto is something weird like YYZ! Just being a smarty. It's 3:13 in the afternoon and I'm really loopy on the margaritas I had in MFE!!

Oh, sorry I missed ya in IAH.... I fell asleep in our crew room.

NOT how non-reving is supposed to work...

OK, made it back from my IAH trip. It coulda been worse, but it wasn't pretty.

Suddenly oversold flights back to JAX led to a on the fly rerouting via AUS. The friday night flight was delayed enough that I'd miss the connection so we opted to overnight in IAH instead of heading out. I ended up calling a relative I hadn't seen in 5 years and staying on the couch. Came back Sat. am and caught a flight to AUS and then back to JAX. Bags didn't make it but the CAL office said they'd be here on the late flight tonight. I'll hold my breathe on that one.

A whole lot of thanks to Captain Bob and Jtrain for offering up assistance friday night! Once again the JC network prevails.

I ran into 2 other XJet pilots I knew and, randomly, a guy who used to work with my ex-husband. Lesson learned- no one in a CAL terminal can tell you where the United flights arrive or how to get to them.

K

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! :laff:

...although the best of their group left for SAT last may. EWR has a bunch of preppies and who think they're "too cool for school" and won't hesitate to tell you how many flight attendants they could've slept with last week or how much they enjoyed their last overnight in BFE, Canada.

Agreed, SAT pilots are awesome; nine; it was Moncton.

:sarcasm: (except the SAT part)

Glad you made it back K!

I got worried about you when I looked up you and KZ online and saw that you were waaaaaaaayyyy down on the list for the flight... and the next flights to ANYWHERE else were oversold, overbooked, and filled to the gills with non-revs with higher pass-classes than you... and a whole lotta red on the radar around IAH.

Welcome to Houston in Tropical Storm/Hurricane Season... ;)

Smart move staying in IAH for the night, otherwise... even if you would have gotten on the next flight out of town... you most likely would have been stuck at an outstation for the night... at least you had family in IAH... very fortunate.

Nice to have almost met you! :)

Oh yeah... Terminal A ;)

Bob

Back