Things to do at IAH?

eastbayk

It looks like I am going to have a 6 hour layover at IAH on friday. Any advice on what to do to keep myself occupied? Besides making fun off all the spikey haired, backpack-toting FO's walking around...

K

If you're there for lunch hit the papadeaux's seafood buffet in terminal E. It costs 7 bucks I think and the food is pretty good in my opinion. There's about every kind of restaurant in that airport, so if you don't like seafood I'm sure there's something else for you. Avoid the restaurants in Terminal B though.

If you can find somewhere secure to put your bags you can get some exercise walking through the terminal C/D/E complex, it's probably about 1/2 mile per lap. If you have a laptop you can rent an overpriced DVD from the inmotion movie rental place in terminal C or E. If you get really bored and are there in the mid afternoon you can hang out in terminal D and watch the international flights arrive and depart.

You could try to get a fight started between an ExpressJet FO and a Republic FO.......

As if we need any help with that at all. Geez, more X-jet pilots have given me the finger at IAH than anywhere else! Can't we all just get along?

There's always the Stopover store at the Mariott Hotel if you want to spend some money.

As if we need any help with that at all. Geez, more X-jet pilots have given me the finger at IAH than anywhere else! Can't we all just get along?

There's always the Stopover store at the Mariott Hotel if you want to spend some money.

Guess I'm out of the loop on this one, anyone care to explain?

(obviously, I think an unbiased opinion would be best....:D)

Guess I'm out of the loop on this one, anyone care to explain?

(obviously, I think an unbiased opinion would be best....:D)
Sure! The toolbag-to-normal-person ratio in IAH is amongst the highest in the country. So, since CAL dumped 25% of XJT's flying and gave it to CHQ, said IAH toolboxes use it as a somewhat thin excuse to engage in what they do best: Being idiotic, ignorant, obnoxious, spoiled little white kids.

For this and many other reasons, George Bush Intercontinental Airport has been unofficially christened "The Toolshed".

HOWEVER: There are still many, many cool pilots and FA's in Houston. They hate the minority of douchebags that give the rest of them a bad name as much as everyone else. It's not that IAH is all toolbags, it's just that they have a disproportionately higher percentage than anyone else.

FURTHER: If you are an IAH crewmember, and this post irritates you, guess which category you fall under?

I hardly saw CHQ pilots in IAH, and if I did I probably couldn't tell much of a difference between them and colgan or mesaba and whoever else flies into B with silver epauletts unless I got up real close and looked at their wings or badge. Not that I care anyway, we don't even say hi to our own pilots in IAH, why would we acknowledge those from a lesser airline :sarcasm: I have to say though, I enjoy not having to look at the "litter box" anymore when I'm at work. It was just depressing.

IAH pilots are fine aviatiors, although the best of their group left for SAT last may. EWR has a bunch of preppies and who think they're "too cool for school" and won't hesitate to tell you how many flight attendants they could've slept with last week or how much they enjoyed their last overnight in BFE, Canada. CLE has a sad bunch of whiners who complain about their base being downsized (it's been happening for 3 years, we get it already), and in ONT/LAX most just have that starry eyed look because they just finished OE (not that I'm too far removed from that myself). Overall a great pilot group but it's funny how you can almost guess the base just by looking at people.

Hmmm, I'll try to avoid that mess.

I'll have to spend some time evaluating who has the best looking pilots though since I don't think that was ever cleared up. I'll see if I can snag a free lunch from some softie who has a thing for redheads.

Hoping that the tropical storm hasn't completely screwed up the flights and I'll be able to get in there tomorrow as a non-rev. The alternative detour airports for this trip don't look nearly as interesting...

K

Overall a great pilot group but it's funny how you can almost guess the base just by looking at people.

My favorite is in IAH when people stare at me or my badge as they approach in the halls of B, and when I smile and nod, they look away or--better yet--just keep on staring. I don't get it. (And by the way, I'm IAH-based and will always reciprocate a smile or "hey.")

I have a 2 hour layover there tomorrow. If you see a short CHQ pilot by the smoothie place in terminal B, wave.

BTW, I love the latest entry in your blog!

Hmmm, I'll try to avoid that mess.

I'll have to spend some time evaluating who has the best looking pilots though since I don't think that was ever cleared up. I'll see if I can snag a free lunch from some softie who has a thing for redheads.

Hoping that the tropical storm hasn't completely screwed up the flights and I'll be able to get in there tomorrow as a non-rev. The alternative detour airports for this trip don't look nearly as interesting...

K

We need more passengers like you in the terminals....but good luck getting a free lunch from a pilot at work. You'd have better luck with mechanics, too bad they don't allow those guys indoors.

Sure! The toolbag-to-normal-person ratio in IAH is amongst the highest in the country. So, since CAL dumped 25% of XJT's flying and gave it to CHQ, said IAH toolboxes use it as a somewhat thin excuse to engage in what they do best: Being idiotic, ignorant, obnoxious, spoiled little white kids.

For this and many other reasons, George Bush Intercontinental Airport has been unofficially christened "The Toolshed".

HOWEVER: There are still many, many cool pilots and FA's in Houston. They hate the minority of douchebags that give the rest of them a bad name as much as everyone else. It's not that IAH is all toolbags, it's just that they have a disproportionately higher percentage than anyone else.

FURTHER: If you are an IAH crewmember, and this post irritates you, guess which category you fall under?

Ok, I figured it had something to do with CHQ doing more CAL flying, but I didn't know it was "like that."

Stupid white kids :D

Thanks!!!

Wow, are you serious??? :confused: Sad!

wildfreightess said:
I have a 2 hour layover there tomorrow. If you see a short CHQ pilot by the smoothie place in terminal B, wave.

BTW, I love the latest entry in your blog!

I thought you were on the 145 of CHQ, when did you transfer over to the CRJ?

Back