things to avoid on solo flights as a student pilot??

FlyBoyJae

hello guys,

i now have around 33 hours (1.6 PIC ^^) and i finally got the "okay" from my instructor to fly solo from the airport to the practice area and back. the only time i flew solo was in the pattern while i was being supervised by my instructor on the ground.

anyways, i was wondering if you guys had any thoughts as to what not to do on my solo flight. any manuvers i should avoid doing alone? my instructor said, "don't do them stalls and ground ref. manuvers"...but why not?

how can i make the most out of my solo flight? i don't want to just take off, go to the practice area and come back. that seems pointless.

any opinions?

thanks in advance to all of you for your help!! your comments helped a lot when i was learning how to land. Thanks~

I would definitely take some time and sit back and enjoy the ssights and scenery and being alone up there. then work on your steep turns. he probably doesnt want ground ref or stalls done until he feels you are fully competent to recover and avoid flying into the ground. take the chance to land at some other local airfields.

Good advice on not doing stalls/ ground ref. the first solo. You'll be busy enough while trying to enjoy the flight. Do some steep turns, climbs, descents, turns (4 fundamentals) and work on altitude control during S&L.

Just a word of advice: Do NOT fly to other fields unless you are signed off for them. Enjoy your flight, but don't do anything illegal...it is illegal to fly into another field as a student pilot without being properly endorsed and shown the field.

As you and your instructor build up confidence, he will tell you to do slow flight, then stalls, and finally ground ref. maneuvers.

Enjoy yourself and fly safe.
grin.gif

Fly on out to the practice area do some climbs, decents, and steep turns also enjoy the scenery.

triple7
[ QUOTE ]
stalls are great fun solo......even more funwith a scared girlfriend next to you

[/ QUOTE ]
It is never cool to scare someone sitting next to you especially if they don't know what's going on.

Stick to the game plan. If you intend on going up there to do steep turns, slow flight, etc., then go up there and do just that. You may be tempted to go do a little bit of "buzzing" (I've known guys to do it), but you don't want to risk your life, your airplane, or your student ticket on stupid activities on your first practice area solo.

[ QUOTE ]
stalls are great fun solo......even more funwith a scared girlfriend next to you

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like a good way to make that a scared EX-girlfriend sitting next to you.

Don't be an ass.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like a good way to make that a scared EX-girlfriend sitting next to you.

Don't be an ass.

[/ QUOTE ]

it was a joke...relax

Things to avoid as a student pilot: The Sky.
smirk.gif
Just kidding. Just enjoy flying around and practicing straight and level flight and leveling off from climbs and descents. Enjoy the fact that you can fly up there without anyone barking at you. Power on stalls can sometimes be difficult to recover from and ground reference manuevers can be dangerous because they require flight close the ground with a large bank angle (increased stall speed so stay coordinated). Just time in the airplane is excellent practice right now; have fun!

[ QUOTE ]
Things to avoid as a student pilot: The Sky.

[/ QUOTE ]
Actually - that'd be the ground you want to avoid.

At high speeds and low angles of attack anyway.
wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Stick to the game plan. If you intend on going up there to do steep turns, slow flight, etc., then go up there and do just that.

[/ QUOTE ]Good advice. Otherwise you will end up just meandering around. You should at all times, regardless of what you are practicing, try to fly precisely and efficiently. If you don't have a specific plan of what maneuvers to perform, what altitudes and headings to fly, etc. you won't be sharpening your skills. Previously, your CFI would make sure (or should have) that you are holding a heading, altitude, etc. Now, it's up to your own sense of discipline.

If you are just heading out to a practice area, don't waste that time!

Do some constant heading dutch rolls.
Do some side and forward slips, and vary the amount of slip, and the direction.

These things will teach you great control, and you'll be able to use then any time you need to fix your position for landing, or a turn is skidding or slipping, you'll know what feels right.

Steep turns are good too. After you get them down, do them without looking at the panel at all. One direction, roll out, and do the other whenever you are ready. Then after all done, take a look down and see how you did on holding altitude. You'll be surprised how close you are.

The seat of your pants flying is a great concept. If you feel like you are about to slide out of the seat, or slide to the inside of the plane, then something is wrong.

Don't forget to always clear the area, and clear well. There is one less set of eyes out for traffic when you are solo.

And have fun.

thanks guys, this is a lot better than what i would have done up there alone. now, i know what and what not to do.

Things to do:

1) Takeoff
2) Fly to the practice area
3) Power on stall to spin!!!
4) Recover fakie and repeat
5) Go home

-Seth

i didnt no if anyone would pickup up on that...and it would be hard to recover a nose grab spin....fakie spin would be a lot easier....bravo doug

i guess it would be an

fakie = backwards = inverted spin
cool.gif
yee hah, jester's dead!!

Back