These are always fun to watch

Holy fu@k!!! I wouldn't want to be a passenger on the right wondering where the pavement went.
shocked.gif

Looks like a quatering tailwind....also looks like the playback speed is a little fast.....But a cool video! It's a shame it's not open anymore...

I challenge anybody who thinks pilots are paid too much to try to do that half as well as that guy did.

[ QUOTE ]
I challenge anybody who thinks pilots are paid too much to try to do that half as well as that guy did.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pay has nothing to do with it. What they should have done, looking at the video, is gone around instead of trying to salvage a bad situation. They came very close to wrapping it up in a big metal ball.

He did one thing right though. He really STUCK IT hard and didnt mess around trying to make a greaser. Had he flared a little more, the X-wind probablly would have caused them to drift off the runway. Regardless. That was ANYTHING but stabilized.

Cool video!!!!! I must have watched it at least 20 times........
grin.gif

It's sad Alitalia won't be flying their MD-11's for too much longer......
frown.gif
mad.gif
Such a pretty bird!!!!

You know its a strong wind when the sock goes up.
grin.gif

A flag sticks straight out a 10mph. I dont remeber what a wind sock sticks straight out at but I want to say its 15 knots but I could be wrong.

I wonder why they dont go around more at that airport. I know they make a sharp 45 degree bank turn to what looks like a short final. Dont know for sure.

I have yet to see a video of a "stable" landing at that airport. I wish it was still open.
frown.gif

Tom

[ QUOTE ]
You know its a strong wind when the sock goes up

[/ QUOTE ]

The wind sock looks like calm winds to me until the MD11 goes by (right of course and on the wind sock side). Looks to me like it was kicked up by the wake vortices of the passing jet rather than local winds.

[ QUOTE ]
A flag sticks straight out a 10mph. I dont remeber what a wind sock sticks straight out at but I want to say its 15 knots but I could be wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a function of how large the flag is. Socks are also calibrated for varying speeds. But who cares about wind anyways, it's not that tough, just a lot of hot air...
ooo.gif

Unstabalized approach and too fast shoulda went around. We've all made goofy landings but thats not a cool thing with all those pax
Most excellent video though
shocked.gif

Does appear to be a quartering tailwind but a light one at best. Sock isn't up much and doesn't go up until wake turb makes it...unless it was a gust exactly at the time of flare. Still shoulda went around me thinks
No shame in a go around
smile.gif

I can agree that the wind sock is being pushed up by the vorticies.
wink.gif

I've seen one that was worse. I was a 747 though. Got it more on the runway more than this guy but probly took a lot more rubber off too.

Tom

Man I know a 150 gear can take that kind of sideload, but he had to have damaged something on that thing - at least he was probably pretty light after flying from Italy. I guess thats why they make the gear out of steel (usually the gear is a very large percentage of a/c weight).

A guy I work with is a DE and he thinks the wind gust was a gust, not wake turbulence, though he agreed that the approach was not stabilized and he should have gone around.

Back