Theres no point

The hiring situation at the majors goes in cycles. It always has and always will. Typically there is about 5 years where they hire a whole bunch of pilots, then 5 years where they stop hiring and sometimes even lay-off pilots, then it starts over and they begin hiring again. It goes with the economy. When the economy is good, the airlines prosper and when its bad they have to down-size.

It is true that by the time you are ready the airlines might be in the down swing where they are not hiring, but if you just wait around a few years they will start again. If you are really lucky they will be hiring right at the time you have gained enough experience to get hired, but if not, its not the end of the world. Just hang in there for a few years.

One more thing, is that you said your goals are to work for a major airline. If that is the only thing you want to do you may be setting yourself up for failure. Do you have a passion for avaition? Do you want to fly for a living or do you only want to be a major airline pilot? If you have a passion for aviation then you will be happy in any type of flying job. There are a lot of exciting careers. Airlines, Corporate, Freight, even military flying are all exciting careers. You've got a long tough road ahead of you. If the only modivation you have is to be in a spiffy pilot uniform with a herum of flight attendants and a fat wallet, you are probably correct that its not worth even giving it a try. On the other hand if you know that you love flying and will be happy in any job that comes your way that lets you fly, then you've probably got the drive to make it. You need to take some time to consider why you want to do this, and how badly you want it.

[ QUOTE ]
Since my goals are to work for a major airline I think there's no point in being a pilot. By the time Im ready to work for a major they wont be hiring.

[/ QUOTE ]this is the most contradictory post i've heard yet... wants to be in the major's, but see's no point in being a pilot???? ok...and....
tongue.gif

Eh - he's a kid. Today he's discouraged, tomorrow he'll want to be a jet jockey again. He's probably sitll wondering when his voice will change and when he'll start to grow hair in places he didn't have hair brfore - his mind will change a lot and often.

However - I second the "one less pilot to compete with" sentiment.

Don't want to swim - get the hell out of the pool.

R2F

I thought this site was developed to help aspiring pilots along the way. If he is 13, then he is impressionable, how about some positive reinforcement, Christ no wonder we have so many troubled youths today , look at the example being set.

[ QUOTE ]
I thought this site was developed to help aspiring pilots along the way. If he is 13, then he is impressionable, how about some positive reinforcement, Christ no wonder we have so many troubled youths today , look at the example being set.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, yes and no.

If he's got the aviation fire in his belly, it's absolutely unextinguishable. But if the "tidal" bouts of adversity in the profession is enough to scare him off, it's probably for the better because this is a career you can't casually stumble into. You REALLY have to want it. You have to want it more than almost anything else in the world because you're competing with those that do.

Eye of the Tiger, Rocky! Eye of the Tiger!

People don't come to this site to try and force people to be pilots... people come to help and get help with becoming a pilot and eventually getting a pilot job.

If someone says they don't want to do it, fine.

True, but as a father of 4 with the youngest being 13, I know that this is a critical stage in their development process. The hormones are going wild, and they are really searching for themselves, and at the same time they feel the whole world is picking on them.This is the time to tell them "you can do it" no matter the obstacle.

[ QUOTE ]
He's probably sitll wondering when his voice will change and when he'll start to grow hair in places he didn't have hair brfore

R2F

[/ QUOTE ]

You have to have hair there to fly, crap no wonder I don't have a job.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well he's not an aspiring pilot anymore....
wink.gif

Anyway if you think someone should post some positive reinforcement, why didn't you instead of scolding all of us?!

Thank God we had the people in our life to encourage us, (parents)That teacher had no buisiness teaching if thats the advice you recieved. Maybe that was her style, she may have said it to light the fire. I guess I just believe in the more positive approach. I have coached little league for the past 12 years, and positive reinforcment is a wonderful tool.
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Thank God we had the people in our life to encourage us

[/ QUOTE ]

My parents never supported me in my endeavors...I just kinda did it!

My Mother really didn't want me to join the Marine Corps...I think she wanted me to get a job at the bowling alley like my brother, or at the Allwood Door Company, like my Uncle Woodrow
crazy.gif
. Hmmm...didn't really appeal to me.

After I decided that I was going to learn to fly, and see if this bug I had for aviation was real, I kinda had to pump myself up. My wife didn't really encourage me, but she knew I wanted to do it, and she never gave me any negative reinforcement. As far as my peers - well, they thought I was crazy, and that I shouold strive to be a Gunnery Sergeant. I was silly for thinking about any other goals.....
mad.gif

After I decided to get out, I learned who my friends were. My parents pretty much told me that I was crazy for leaving a stable careers with great benefits, one that had treated me pretty well for 8 years. Why in the world would I want to go to college and fly airplanes? I was being stupid, and I really needed to grow up.

In summary, I think that people need to have positive role models. At the same time, if you need somebody to push you along and tell you that you can do it, you're probably what we Devildogs call a non-hacker. The real motivator motivates himself!!

[ QUOTE ]
I know that this is a critical stage in their development process. The hormones are going wild, and they are really searching for themselves, and at the same time they feel the whole world is picking on them.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're 13 for sakes! Worry about getting your driver's license, a date (or two) to the prom, taking those SATs, etc etc etc. I'm 28, left a decent military wage and benefits to live in poverty and walk to work as a CFI...leave the worrying to me.

I'll say this. I amabout 2 years older than you. I would reccommend worrying about what is going to happen within the next week or so, and once you get to become close to these goals THEN start worrying about colleges and training...Don't worry about the airline industry in 10 years, because chances are the trend it is following now is going to be completely different in 10 years if the industry even has a "trend". So just take your time. Time is your friend when you are young.

Back