The value of ramp work in a pilot career

What is the value of line service / ramp work, at the airlines, in gaining experience or finding opportunities for a career in aviation, especially in terms of becoming a part 121 pilot?

Subquestion, does it make a difference which airline you service?
When you're servicing your airline, just don't forget your kneepads... A helmet and gloves are also sometimes helpful. It's all PPE these days.

Crawling around down there among those giant gear actuators removing impediments like chocks so those huge tubes can move forward... That can be dangerous.

And for sure don't get any Jet A or Prist on your skin or in your mouth. You might even want eye protection and a raincoat.

Last edited:
When you're servicing your airline, just don't forget your kneepads... A helmet and gloves are also sometimes helpful. It's all PPE these days.

Crawling around down there among those giant gear actuators removing the chocks so the huge tube can move forward... That can be dangerous.
"Crawling around down there", "giant gear actuators". I refuse to believe you're a pilot and I want proof. You are one of two things, fake, or just an ignorant, arrogant ass. I think you're an imposter, prove me (and us) wrong.

These days most people skip that step buuuut if you have to work a job where you as the pilot are moving airplanes (lots of 135 and 91 jobs for example) it does help quite a bit to have done it before.

Back