The Ugliest DC-10 (at least I think it's a DC-10)???

JEP

Does It Really Matter....?
Staff member
The Ugliest DC-10 (at least I think it\'s a DC-10)???

I took my kids out to MSP yesterday to watch the BIG planes and saw this ugly thing land:
DSC00780_sm.JPG

And no it's not United. I guess FEDEX is kind of busy. They need more planes and cannot paint them.

On a side note, I have never really watched and paid much attention to how they get the planes in and out of a major airport but it was really interesting to see and listen to the controllers work the planes in and out.

Re: The Ugliest DC-10 (at least I think it\'s a DC-10)???

[ QUOTE ]

On a side note, I have never really watched and paid much attention to how they get the planes in and out of a major airport but it was really interesting to see and listen to the controllers work the planes in and out.

[/ QUOTE ]

MSP is a pretty cool airport. I like being around there at night and you can just see the palnes lining up for each runway, somtimes it seems like they go on forever. Is that the road over near flight support where you took that from? I'd also reccomend another place where you get a good view of traffic coming off of both the main runways is this field where many people like to let their dogs run by the airport administraiton building. Its on the same side of the airport as the fire station and such.

[ QUOTE ]
Is that the road over near flight support where you took that from?

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe we are talking about the same spot. There is a small single-lane parking lot for about 20 or so cars. It is a really good spot. You get some really good shots of traffic departing 12. I used to watch over by the goolf course at Ft. Snelling, but construction closed that off I believe. You could actually get to within a couple hundred yards of the RW. Now if I could just take better pictures, it would be great. My handy Sony cyber-shot is great for still photos, but I probably just don't know how to use it. Oh well. Maybe better next time.

That DC-10 is always at EWR. The controllers make fun of it!

[ QUOTE ]
I took my kids out to MSP yesterday to watch the BIG planes and saw this ugly thing land:

[/ QUOTE ]

How many kids do you have JEP? And since you took them out to look at planes land and take-off do they share your passion for aviation. Do they want to be pilots themselfes when they grow up?

[ QUOTE ]

And no it's not United. I guess FEDEX is kind of busy. They need more planes and cannot paint them.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I had to bet I'd say that it was a former United plane!

-Matthew

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

what makes you say that?
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How many kids do you have JEP? And since you took them out to look at planes land and take-off do they share your passion for aviation. Do they want to be pilots themselfes when they grow up?

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

-Matthew

[/ QUOTE ]

Max,

2 kids, 7 & 4. Not sure if they have an interst or not. I know they do like to watch the bigs planes though. They have flown a few times with em and once while on an FIR training flight in IMC. I thought for sure they would get all bugged out, but they rather enjoyed it. They even laughed at Daddy, because he got sick on that flight.

And I'm with you on the bet, MAX. I'd go with a UA plane.
grin.gif

I see the plane all the time here at MEM, I dont know why they dont paint it. its ridiculous. Though it kinda looks like they started painting it, the radome is white and the tailpipe on engine 3 is purple.

[ QUOTE ]
I dont know why they dont paint it.

[/ QUOTE ]

A plane being painted does not make money - do you really think the boxes say, wow this plane is ugly - I won't fly FedEx again??

It will get painted in due time!

Probably when it goes in for its next C Check.

The uggliest DC-10 I have ever seen is located here at SAT. It came from being mothballed Spain in order to be repaired and returned to service.

It is so coroded that it is scary. It has sat outside for three years with no maintence done at all.

It has been towed over to our facility. Rumor has it that it will be dismantled and scrapped.

shes in United colors...MSP hmm was jsut there two days ago. that airport is amazing and less 'ghetto' comapred to my home of LAX.

[ QUOTE ]
shes in United colors...MSP hmm was jsut there two days ago. that airport is amazing and less 'ghetto' comapred to my home of LAX.

[/ QUOTE ]

United colors, but a FedEx plane.

I think FedEx has a few of those planes. I work over in Eagan, and every morning around 8 AM there is a FedEx flight out of MSP. More often then not it's one of those ugly ex-United planes.

I believe that FedEx was sending all of their DC-10s to Kelly USA in San Antonio to have all of the DC-10s upgraded to MD-10s (DC-10s with MD-11 avionics). It could be that they are awaiting that modification before repainting them into FedEx colors.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I dont know why they dont paint it.

[/ QUOTE ]

A plane being painted does not make money - do you really think the boxes say, wow this plane is ugly - I won't fly FedEx again??

It will get painted in due time!

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks for clearing that up for me.

I saw that plane on final into PHX. yesterday when leaving work! Definately an ugly plane.

-Matthew

Just a follow up, I don't think this bird has been painted, as I saw it (or one just like it) in MEM last night..

Get the N-number of the plane and look it up on FAA.gov.

All it needs is paint. While waiting they should put some nose art on it, graffiti perhaps.
It is beauuuuutiful. LOL, why not paint UGLY in big letters on the side, UGLY airlines or airfreight, something along those lines.
There are much less appealing a/c around.

Back