The Turkey goes to school!

In an earlier (way earlier) post I saw someone mentioning "sitting backseat" on other students flights. Does Pan Am do this, or require this or is all of your flight training one on one?

All of the training at PanAm is one-on-one. We have the opportunity to sit in the backseat of a training flight to observe it. We can pick up on how other students fly, how other instructors teach, see how the flows and checklists work, etc. It's a great (and free!) lesson. I've backseated on many flights and I wish I would have sat in on more.

lots of people backseat flights, and i hear its pretty helpful. i personally don't get much out of it, but many people say it really hlpes them.

If I want to backseat, I have to find 2 really skinny people, as I am 6'2" and weigh 230lbs.

I PASSED MY STAGE CHECK TODAY!
grin.gif
The pre-solo stage check consist's of an oral portion, and a flight portion. I spent about 45 minutes in the oral portion, which wasn't too hard, just A/C systems, student pilot limitations, airspace rules, preflight weight, balance, and weather.

The flight consisted of proper communications, slow flight, steep turns, s-turns, turns around a point, power on and off stalls, emergency procedures and landing, flying the pattern, and I did 4 touch & go's with a total of 5 landings.

So now I am set up for my first solo, probably coming up this Wednesday. I am a little nervous about it, so I just want to get it over with. Once I get past the first solo, I can finally relax.

One more week of ground school remaining. Stage test on Monday night which covers systems, weather, and the dreaded F.A.R.'s

The Turk.

FIRST SOLO !!!!
grin.gif
laugh.gif
cool.gif
tongue.gif
I did it, my first solo ever. N5340J was the bird, a PA28-181. What an awsome experience. I was not nervous at all, well, maybe just a tad. My landings were great, I flew good patterns, and I sounded professional on the radio. I did 3 full stop landings and takeoffs, as my instructor watched from the ground. Afterward, I took a photo beside the airplane, and my instructor took photo's of me landing and taking off. It was a great experience, and feeling of accomplishment. I solo again tomorrow.

The Turk.

CONGRATS Turk !!!!! OJ is one of Pan Am's newer aircraft and handles great. I flew her quite a few times. Again CONGRATS !!!

Well done Turk!
grin.gif

Just think, in a little while you'll be flying to the training area and back solo!

WTG Turk!!! hey, did they throw you into the pool and cut the back of your shirt off?? its tradition around here.

OJ, that plane has the best callsign. we were once thinking about putting red hand prints on the side of it for sh**s-and-giggles. school wouldn't have been too happy with that one.

Thanks everyone!
smile.gif

Yeah...I love the "O J" I was wondering whose bloody knife that was in the baggage compartment! I was a little dissappointed that they didn't cut off my shirt tail. I thought getting dunked in the pool was a KLM thing? I did get some nice photo's of the event.
I cant wait till I can get out to the practice area solo, that will be fun. But before that I have to start working on short/soft field landings and takeoffs. It wont be long though, at my pace I will be done with the PPL in another 3-4 weeks.

The Turk.

I got a bucket of cold water thrown on me after my solo, but no shirt tail cutoff. Probably just because no one around had scissors.

screw that, your instructor should have cut your shirt. that is dissapointing, its an aviation tradition!!! just cut it yourself and have yer friends sign it or something.

Monday September 23rd : Ground school is over!!!
laugh.gif
tongue.gif
grin.gif
Now I have my ground school endorsement, and I am off to take the FAA written sometime this week. Ground wasn't really that hard, especially using the Gleim book. Now the flying really picks up. 2 flights a day, 5 days a week. Thursday I fly out to the practice area solo...

The Turk.

I passed the FAA written!!
cool.gif
Piece of cake. It took me 40 minutes to answer 60 questions. I scored a 92%, I missed a couple of questions, but I passed. Now the testing is over and I can enjoy the flying. Off on another solo tomorrow morning...

The Turk.

nice job Turk...enjoy those solo flights, its the best time you'll have here and you'll miss it later

Well, the solo flights to the practice area are over. Now on to the cross countries. I did my first cross country yesterday, and I have 2 more today, including my first night cross country. I will be up for stage check on Wednesday, then solo cross country.
cool.gif

The Turk.

I'm pleased that Mr.Turk is doing well, however would the ex-Pan Am Alumni like to estimate at what stage he'll see through all the BS and realise he's getting taken..

I reckon about the time he starts CFI training.

E6Bjock,
Why do you have to spoil my fun? Why cant you read what MY experience is like here at Pan Am, and realize that not everyone will have a bad experience? Why dont you learn how to spell? Go buy a dictionary, and dont ruin my thread with any more of your post's. Everything I have written is exactly what has happened so far. And I will continue to write what happens here at Pan Am exactly the way it happens, GOOD OR BAD. So if you cant believe someone can have a good experince, then you are an immature little bratt, who has a lot of growing up to do.

The Turk.

Hey E6BJock-

Oook, who ya working for? Westwind? hahaha! All of your posts have been in the Pan Am forum and very, umm, well ya know.

BTW, your IP address doesn't match your email address at all.

Yeah keep the posts coming Turk (and Dak!) Pan Am is still no1 on my list for lots of reasons. I've read the good and the bad and the good outweighs the bad by a lot in my opinion. And I'm very interested to see how you two are doing, even though I want to attend the Phoenix campus. I have spoken to someone nearing completion there and he hasn't encountered many problems. I think the rule of a person with a good experience tells 3 people and one with a bad experience tells 10! I think the negativities have been blown way out of portion! Of course the people who feel badly about Pan Am want to get back at them by ruining their reputation as much as possible, whereas the people who have done fine at Pan Am aren’t posting anything, why would they? If they got a regional job why should they tell you? (Yes I know it's a nice thing to do)

And E6Bjock if you have bad things to say about Pan Am, say them in the disgruntled forum or create your own, but not here please. (And yes I will read it)

Definitely keep the post coming Turk. I'm going to my FBO to do my training and you started about 3 weeks before me so I'm very interested to see how you are making progress so I can compare it to myself

Back