The Purpose of An Aviator

Firebird2XC

The Purpose of An Aviator

Not too long ago, I posted a topic asking what people thought the meaning and purpose of living is to them. I stated outright that I knew what I thought it was, and that I'd share later on. At the time, the exact words eluded me, and the subject was set aside. Upon further reflection, I think I'm ready to speak on the subject.

I suppose the more important idea here is that the purpose of an individual depends largely on what kind of person that person is. For those of us in aviation, you might suppose that most of us are of a similar nature. I certainly do. Given that, I'm going to speak to the majority of us here by addressing us all as 'aviators' and will leave it at that.

So what, then, is the purpose of an aviator? To define a purpose one must examine not the emotional context or compensation one receives but the meaning that purpose imparts upon the greater whole of society. To state it simply, an aviator's purpose is to get people and materials where they need to go. The problem with leaving such a simple answer to such a deep and meaningful question is that the answer is not deep or meaningful. Aviators (and those who support them) are not simply a means of transport. There is a greater meaning and relevance to society that deserves examination. (You might not know this unless I told you, but I paused to take a sip of bourbon before I continued developing this statement.)

The greater meaning of the purpose of an aviator lies not in how we do what we do but why we do what we do. To answer that, we have to ask why people want to move themselves and other materials elsewhere. We need to know why people go to such lengths to place themselves or other objects the span of the world away from where they began their journey.

The answer to that question is that it is inherently a human trait to question the unknown. Whether it is a question of what lay beyond the horizon or how the world might change if we place ourselves beyond that horizon, people seek answers to the mysteries of our existence. We strike out to explore our surroundings, and having come to know them, we step forward once again to find out what might lay beyond them. It is inherent in all that is human to strive to know more than we did the day before. In that pursuit, we have continually sought new ways to expand not only our knowledge but our means of collecting that knowledge.

Aviators are no exception to this rule. In fact, aviators exemplify this rule. Throughout the history of aviation, time and time again it was the thirst for knowledge and new capability that drove things forward. From the earliest experiments of Wilbur and Orville Wright to the manned spacecraft lifting off around the world today, “farther, higher, faster” has always driven them. Aviators are driven to exceed that which has been done before in order to know what was previously not known. Aviators, at their most basic, are pioneers.

While aviators may stand out in civilization, we cannot stand alone. Our pursuits require the collaboration and cooperation of many. Our achievements have been adopted to serve many. In these doings, many of us have found a niche that did not exist in the earliest of days. Through commerce, we found livelihoods and careers. Through industry, we found a means to provide for our families. That said we also found something that the rest of civilization has found. Stagnation. As the commercialization and globalization of the world continue, the drive to reach forever higher and farther have been replaced. In their stead we have the reach for higher revenues and greater profitability. The pioneers of travel and industry that stood with aviators in the infancy of commercial aviation have fallen away and have been replaced by spreadsheets and earnings reports. In an era where people fail to look beyond the next financial quarter we have taken our eyes off the horizon. We have lost our vision. In that failing and that failing alone have we come to question our purpose. When we no longer knew our purpose with certainty we then failed to know our worth. The aviation profession has fallen on dark times.

Dark times have come home to roost for aviators, but not because our pensions are under siege and our salaries are slowly chipped away. We have come upon dark times because a profession that was once a calling to the bold, adventurous, pioneering spirits of old has become anything but. In the place of the pioneering spirit the calling of aviation has become a traveling circus. We have allowed ourselves and the calling of aviation to be reduced to a small distraction from the tedium of life. Our airports are shabby ticket booths, and our collective workplace a dimly lit hall of mirrors.

We have only ourselves to blame. In the heyday of high salaried pilot positions, much ado was made about the merit of pilots. Once suitably compensated, we sat idly back and assumed that all was well. Since Deregulation in 1978, the airline pilot community (and many others as a result) has seen a slow decline from what formerly was. While the methods and reasons we are no longer compensated or treated so well are thinly veiled shams, we have to realize that the world in which those circumstances existed no longer exists at all. To try to “Take back the glory days!” is a fool’s errand. We cannot recreate a time that has passed us by. Instead, we must look to the future, and evolve, and find better, smarter ways to create a better world for all involved.

That’s the entire key, really. A pioneer sets forward to create a better world. Be it to set out and homestead on land they can call their own, or to pioneer in the metaphorical sense through discovery and insight, a pioneer strives to make things better than they have been. Aviators at their most basic are pioneers. When we fail to recognize that in ourselves, we fail as aviators.

It was once suggested to me that aviators are perpetual malcontents. The underlying reason for that, in my opinion, is that we are not content to stay where we are. We are driven onward, and forward, because that is the nature of a pioneer. From the first time aloft at Kittyhawk, to the first successful drop of ‘Glamorous Glennis’ from a modified B-29, to the first manned spaceflight, to the first footprints on the moon, our movement forward in the modern age has been lead by aviators.

In the Old West, we were the Pony Express. When technology evolved, we were train conductors and engineers. When carriage misplaced its horse and doctors thought speeds in excess of thirty miles per hour would make blood boil, we were the first race car drivers. When world went to war, we expanded the battlefield into the third dimension. We brought war to a newer, more terrifying height over the skies of London. In recognition of the destruction and suffering we brought upon each other, it was aviators who were the first to extend the hand of reconstruction in the windswept heights over Berlin. When commerce said, “we need to get it there faster than before,” it was aviators who did so. When bringing people together face to face meant a better way, a faster way, we were there.

Time and time again, aviators have been the vanguard of the pioneer spirit of the modern age.

In my own aviation career, I have had the benefit of a range of experiences in how aviation can make the world better. I’ve seen how turbine engines screaming through the flight levels can shrink the globe. I’ve seen how we safely convey people about their world and throughout their lives as we pass through the dimly lit corridors of time. I’ve had the honor and privilege to be the refuge of safety and conveyance to mercy for the wounded on the battlefield.

I have seen first-hand what it can mean to the understanding of a people to see the look of gratitude and friendship in the face of someone from a culture so distant and so different you would not have believed they existed. I have seen the beginnings of peace.

As time passes, the human race will strive grow onward, and upward, and will need pioneers to take it there. Aviators are among the few that will pioneer the way forward for that undertaking.

To live life as an aviator is to be a pioneer. To live as a pioneer is to challenge convention. To say that there is a better way and that with a little work and little ingenuity and a little effort, we can find it. We act as guides to people seeking their paths through life and transport them safely not just to new places on the globe but to new places in their lives. We lead them boldly into the wilderness of the unknown future. In pursuit of that unknown, greater future, we all carry collective society forward.

That’s what living as an aviator means to me.

DSCF0032.JPG

Having said all that-

To those who are just coming into their own as aviators, keep your eye on the horizon, and your nose to the grindstone. With hard work, a watchful eye, an open mind, and a little luck, you'll get to where you want to go;

To those a little further into their careers, I kindly suggest you remember to listen to those who came before you, as they might ease you the burden of cutting a trail where one's already been blazed. That said, don't assume they're always right, and don't let them convince you otherwise. The pioneering spirit is largely based on finding new way to surpass old assumptions;

To those who have been there and back again, I kindly ask you to remember that those who haven't are not always patient in their fervor to move forward, and often lack your experience. That said, don't let dispensing advice garnered from hard lessons learned lead you to look back on things too often. Looking back too often keeps you from looking forward, which keeps you from looking towards the horizon.

Cheers.

(There's that bourbon again. I've become convinced aviators drink when we're not moving about the planet largely due to frustration. The frustration lay in knowing that even gypsies of the sky must occasionally be still. But we don't have to like it.)

Thanks, folks. As Socrates said, "The unexamined life is not worth living."

I suppose were we all to examine our own lives a little more closely, good things might come of it. :beer:

Surfers have been asking the same question for years. Is it a sport or a lifestyle? What is the purpose other than seeking the next great wave? That first question presupposes the two are mutually exclusive. The 2nd question presupposes that selfishness is the key motivator. The answer boils down to the individual level. You identified this.

About committing aviation, a quote attributed to C. Lindbergh went something like this: flying is the perfect blend of science and art. The pursuit satisfies the soul in many ways. The larger aspect of what we do and how we spend our time is, whether in surfing or aviating, to serve others. That is the absolute answer. How one arrives to that answer is nothing but an individual's liberty and should not be hindered or constrained by 'others' whether it is govt, spouses, family or friends. Of course, there is a moral code to which one should abide yet that is not difficult in consideration of the basic premise; to serve others.

To aid in the success of others is my achievement. I fail often enough to achieve that goal but it is my pursuit. Speaking of aviators in the style of pioneers, there is this to consider; trailblazers don't give up or give in. To fail is only another opportunity to realize and affirm a strength in persevering toward accomplishment. Failure makes the goal that much sweeter.

Regarding the unexamined life, as aviators we profusely adhere to the policy of developing a "Plan B". We are taught this from the earliest days of primary instruction and practise it throughout our aeronautical endeavors. Yet, at a personal level, how rare is it that a person would have such planning for their own lives.

Sure, Plan B is the ace up the sleeve when things go sour. But it applies even when things go amazingly as planned. It applies because of the requirement for forethought. That forethought can be labled introspection with respect to how one lives their life. One need not slide down the accideent chain to end up in an unwinnable position. A lack of planning is akin to being blown about before the wind, no direction and no purpose. Too many folks drift through life merely surviving. Our goal is to effect a change in that by helping to make available tools and thoughts and attitudes conducive to personal success. This is providing direction, not taking charge. Build up a person then get out of the way to let them spread their wings.

A lack of planning is akin to being blown about before the wind, no direction and no purpose. Too many folks drift through life merely surviving. Our goal is to effect a change in that by helping to make available tools and thoughts and attitudes conducive to personal success. This is providing direction, not taking charge. Build up a person then get out of the way to let them spread their wings.

I've been developing a personal philosophy based on a lot of these concepts for a while. Many people are directionless at best, but even more people are motivated by fear rather than courage. To stride forward into the unknown, one must be bold. To be bold enough to face the unknown in the outside world, one must first face the unknown on the *inside*.

As the proverbial coward dies a thousand deaths.. this is no way to really live. Especially for our kind.

[Morgan Freeman]
Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'.
[/Morgan Freeman] ;)

This is often easier said than done. But it's when things are hard to achieve that you know they're worthwhile. Most Buddhist philosophy is based upon the concept of mutual kindness and compassion being used to help everyone meet their goals and dreams. If we all approach each other in that light, nobody has to 'go it alone'. A journey shared is a journey made less difficult, after all. :beer:

Congratulations Charile. It seems like a very well thought out post that you spent a lot of time on.

I'm not disagreeing with you, but would just like to offer a different perspective. I was a former flight instructor and traffic watch pilot with around 1200TT and left the industry to go into engineering. There were several reasons. I wont even lie, but the primary reason was because of what I was sacrificing in pay. But a close second was because when I was flying, I viewed myself as merely an "operator" and not a "pioneer". In most cases flying is being an operator following SOP developed from engineers.

Based on my experience/background, I believe the true "pioneers" are engineers developing the new technology (or test pilots) and the 121 pilots are "operators". Maybe I am biased, but I just see engineers as being able to create new ways to surpass old assumptions more so than "operators".

I think this post proves why most 121 airline pilots aren't, and can't be, satisfied by their jobs. It's routine. Safe. Predictable. Ick.

When I look at my own job, you explained many of the reasons why I love it so much. I literally never know what's coming next. New people, new planes, new challenges every day. Last Friday I walked in to work expecting a fairly normal day. Instead I found out I'd be flying a plane that I had 0.2 hours in, literally half way around the country. Take a T210 to San Diego. Quote it, plan it, fly it. Make it up as you go. Just make it happen. I *love* that kind of flying.

When I came in to the office today, again, I thought it would be a routine day. I was told to go test fly a plane I'd never even sat in before, a C-177RG Cardinal. Read the POH, run the checklists, teach myself how to fly it.

This is the kind of stuff that keeps me coming back for more. You're right, much job satisfaction comes from pioneering new ground, even if it's only new to *me*, it's still new.

Congratulations Charile. It seems like a very well thought out post that you spent a lot of time on.

Based on my experience/background, I believe the true "pioneers" are engineers developing the new technology (or test pilots) and the 121 pilots are "operators". Maybe I am biased, but I just see engineers as being able to create new ways to surpass old assumptions more so than "operators".

Thanks. Personally I wish I'd spent more time on it. If I had, it'd be shorter. More inspiration than sweat and friction.

That said, I agree with you. In days past, aviators were more of an engineering bend. Maybe not in the design phase, but certainly in the testing and development phases. Having moved more towards the canned 'button pusher' environment, the creative outlet has been stifled. That's what's missing, really.

This is the kind of stuff that keeps me coming back for more. You're right, much job satisfaction comes from pioneering new ground, even if it's only new to *me*, it's still new.

Agreed. There isn't always much room for innovation or new ground in the day to day of the 121 world. That said, there are opportunities if one looks. The more obvious issues of design and knowledge limitation have been replaced with more subtle ones. The issues are much more subtly nuanced, but the chance to break new ground does still exist. That was the point of the essay- to encourage pilots to look for that. I see a lot of the "there's nothing new under the sun" mentality, and I think that's erroneous. There's nothing new to be simply observed. Therein, we must *create* something new.

I think this post proves why most 121 airline pilots aren't, and can't be, satisfied by their jobs. It's routine. Safe. Predictable. Ick.
I could not disagree with this opinion/clueless perception more. Flying a 747-400 in a crosswind into Kai Tak was anything but routine. Threading your way at night in parts of the planet where there are typhons, monsoons, equipment and engine failures and feet wet is never routine and not always "safe", when there are issues. And if you think there is no satisfaction in being responsible for hundreds of souls on your aircraft and getting them safely to their destinations, you are terribly wrong. Not to mention the views you are never ever going to have, the mentoring that you perform for your crews, the weather you will never see/experience, the massive CBs, navigating ITCZ, issues with PAX and crew, the technology that you will never have to deal with, the skill sets, and much more on your little Cessna. Airline pilots are not glorified taxi drivers. They spend thousands of hours in a long career hand flying.....gee, imagine that! Long time line holders, especially those that flew internationally, will tell you the dozens of reasons that they found their jobs incredibly satisfying, why they loved their careers, had pride in their accomplishments, showed true professionalism, were excellent pilots and how sad it was for them when they finally left. Being an Aviator is in your soul, not in your equipment or who you work for. Sad that you have no concept of this.

I could not disagree with this opinion/clueless perception more....Being an Aviator is in your soul, not in your equipment or who you work for. Sad that you have no concept of this.

Whoa, easy there. You've made a lot of assumptions about me based on one post.

I haven't personally flown 121 airlines, but I have a lot of friends doing it. I can't think of any who are excited about their jobs. When I ask them why, they say they're tired of flying the same plane in to the same airports over and over, mixed with a crappy schedule and mediocre pay. They say it's really boring compared to whatever they did prior to airline flying (instruction, charter, corporate, cargo, etc.). That's not me talking, that's just echoing what my friends "on the front line" have told me. Granted, they're all regional pilots, so they're not flying 747-400s into China, so that might be a factor...but then again, most 121 pilots are playing the regional game and probably will never see the cockpit of an international 747.

I think your post illustrates exactly why the 121 pilots who love their jobs, love their jobs. For one reason or another they see a challenge to it. They see it as pushing a limit in one way or another. That's great. Unfortunately, from everyone I've talked to, the majority of 121 pilots don't seem to see it this way.

Perceptions are funny. A few nights ago I was talking to a CFI friend of mine. She said she liked teaching, but didn't plan to do it long term because she doesn't see the challenge to it. I told her that's precisely why I *will* do it long term, because I *do* see a challenge to it. For her it gets old. For me it doesn't. That's ok. We have different personalities and see the same job very differently.

I'd say the goal for anyone should be to find the challenge in whatever job they're doing. Some jobs and personalities make it easier to see the challenges than others.

That's the problem then. Your perception/misconception of "airline pilots" comes from a handful of fairly short time (I am betting) Regional pilots and not long time Legacy/Mainline pilots. There is a big difference, yet you never specified anything. You lumped all 121 pilots into the same bag. You made plenty of assumptions when you stated what you did about them and their profession and yes, I took some offense at that and for good reason.

That being said, any career is what you make of it and what you to do to make it a learning experience, a challenge, how you build your skills and hone them and doing what you love. The point is to be flying. I am sure there are plenty of pilots who would give their left nut right about now just to get on with a Regional carrier. That may not be their long term goal obviously, but it's another step, experience and skill set and hours, is it not?

Whatever happened to taking pride in your job, putting forth your very best efforts, gaining experience, learning, growing and maturing and being grateful to be doing what you have always wanted to do? Is that not enough for now? They are doing what few people on this planet ever will. Perhaps your friends need to be reminded of these things.

Being a professional is not contingent on what you are being paid. Being professional is not contingent on who you work for either. Being a professional does not depend on how much you like your management. Professionalism is a personality trait. Professionalism is doing the right thing when nobody is watching. This isn't limited to your career either. Attitude is everything. Who you are, how you treat others, and how professional you are is solely a function of your own mettle, not a result of how others treat you. It is a true professional who can remain sharp and focused in spite of being underpaid or ill treated and keep their long term goals in mind. Being happy and satisfied comes from within. I was and am excited every damn day to set foot in any aircraft and take her up. I still feel the same way I did when I was a young teen and had my first lesson. It's a personal and joyous wonderment for me.

Few plan on being at the Regional level forever do they? However, not every Regional pilot is miserable, complaining and bored either. Yes the pay and hours can suck when you are near the bottom of the totem pole, but so what? I worked plenty of jobs at the start of my career that did and I never whined. I wasn't bored either. What I learned and gained can't be bought or even taught. Every flight can be different. The weather can be different, the crew, the challenges, the landings, icing, thunderstorms, contaminated runways, equipment failures, learning to properly use and manipulate your radar, many factors and conditions. It is all about perception, attitude and perspective. The challenges in the cockpit are the same no matter the size of your aircraft or the thickness of your logbook or the size of your paycheck or schedule and safety and skill isn't predicated on any of those factors either. Flying airplanes is all about airmanship, not pulling levers or pushing buttons in the correct order. Training is one thing. Airmanship is another. THAT is what makes you a real aviator.

You can't make the blanket statements you did of every airline pilot because of the small group of Regional guys that are complaining to you. There are long time guys at Regionals who are the topish of their pay scale, they do some check airman gigs on the side and live at a base where the cost of living is less expensive. They are happy. I've known some of those pilots.

It's not like there isn't plenty of info out there about what Regional flying is about these days. They made the choice to do this. If they find it so mundane and so horrible, and they feel they have nothing to gain and learn, then why aren't they out seeking Charter, Corporate or Freight jobs then, if they cannot hang in there? There are positions to be had if you have the experience, the drive, the skills and are what the company is looking for. The major airline "career" is not always what it once was either, but the worst day there is a vast improvement over some good days at a Regional for many pilots, but again, not everyone based on what you want and what you have and where you are. There are foreign options as well to be had. It's a big world.

That's the problem then. Your perception/misconception of "airline pilots" comes from a handful of fairly short time (I am betting) Regional pilots and not long time Legacy/Mainline pilots. There is a big difference, yet you never specified anything. You lumped all 121 pilots into the same bag.

Ok, maybe I shouldn't have done that. Regional pilots make up a huge percentage of the aviation industry though and people are staying at regionals longer and longer these days (some by choice, some not). I guess what I'm saying is, when somebody says, "121 airline pilot" I don't think it's unreasonable for the picture of a regional pilot to pop in to one's mind. The regional pilot lifestyle and work environment is far more common than that of a senior legacy airline pilot.

You made plenty of assumptions when you stated what you did about them and their profession and yes, I took some offense at that and for good reason.

Wow, relax man. You remind me of that cartoon of the guy typing on his computer, captioned, "I can't go to bed yet. Somebody on the internet is WRONG!"

That being said, any career is what you make of it and what you to do to make it a learning experience, a challenge, how you build your skills and hone them and doing what you love. The point is to be flying. I am sure there are plenty of pilots who would give their left nut right about now just to get on with a Regional carrier. That may not be their long term goal obviously, but it's another step, experience and skill set and hours, is it not?

Whatever happened to taking pride in your job, putting forth your very best efforts, gaining experience, learning, growing and maturing and being grateful to be doing what you have always wanted to do? Is that not enough for now? They are doing what few people on this planet ever will. Perhaps your friends need to be reminded of these things.

Being a professional is not contingent on what you are being paid. Being professional is not contingent on who you work for either. Being a professional does not depend on how much you like your management. Professionalism is a personality trait. Professionalism is doing the right thing when nobody is watching. This isn't limited to your career either. Attitude is everything. Who you are, how you treat others, and how professional you are is solely a function of your own mettle, not a result of how others treat you. It is a true professional who can remain sharp and focused in spite of being underpaid or ill treated and keep their long term goals in mind. Being happy and satisfied comes from within. I was and am excited every damn day to set foot in any aircraft and take her up. I still feel the same way I did when I was a young teen and had my first lesson. It's a personal and joyous wonderment for me.

Few plan on being at the Regional level forever do they? However, not every Regional pilot is miserable, complaining and bored either. Yes the pay and hours can suck when you are near the bottom of the totem pole, but so what? I worked plenty of jobs at the start of my career that did and I never whined. I wasn't bored either. What I learned and gained can't be bought or even taught. Every flight can be different. The weather can be different, the crew, the challenges, the landings, icing, thunderstorms, contaminated runways, equipment failures, learning to properly use and manipulate your radar, many factors and conditions. It is all about perception, attitude and perspective. The challenges in the cockpit are the same no matter the size of your aircraft or the thickness of your logbook or the size of your paycheck or schedule and safety and skill isn't predicated on any of those factors either. Flying airplanes is all about airmanship, not pulling levers or pushing buttons in the correct order. Training is one thing. Airmanship is another. THAT is what makes you a real aviator.

You're preaching to the choir here. I don't disagree with any of that.

Are you trying to convince me to become an airline pilot?

I still think the 121 lifestyle would be boring, regardless of how professional a person is.

You can't make the blanket statements you did of every airline pilot because of the small group of Regional guys that are complaining to you. There are long time guys at Regionals who are the topish of their pay scale, they do some check airman gigs on the side and live at a base where the cost of living is less expensive. They are happy. I've known some of those pilots.

That's great. Again, I think they're in the minority though.

It's not like there isn't plenty of info out there about what Regional flying is about these days. They made the choice to do this. If they find it so mundane and so horrible, and they feel they have nothing to gain and learn, then why aren't they out seeking Charter, Corporate or Freight jobs then, if they cannot hang in there?

Most feel trapped by the seniority system. They're making enough money to be doing better than they could do elsewhere, but that doesn't mean they love their job.

You're entitled to your opinion and I'm entitled to mine. We each see things differently. Why is that such a big deal?

This is like debating if working as an accountant would be satisfying or not. There is no right or wrong. It all depends on the individual. The original poster wrote about an aviator's desire to push the limits. I agreed and said I don't see that happening in the 121 work environment. Obviously you disagree. This isn't personal, it's just two different perspectives. Let's let it go at that.

Back