The Oral Examination: Real or Made for Film?

I thought this video had a little staging or rehearsal, until I went into take my PPL....seemed strangely similar, except for the cross country planning. I have watched others with the King series that seemed helpful, as well.

Very helpful.....thanks...great posts to always come back to and gather up sorts of advice and important info of various opinions.

DPE always told my students to take their ties off. DPE would wear collared golf shirts. I had one student complain to me about him. "take my tie off? how unprofessional! " me: did you pass? "yes" "then what's the problem?"he was a career student and I'm sure by now hopefully someone used the attitude adjustment tool on his ass.

Sent from my Android mobile device.

I've sure never seen a DE wearing a tie!

Me neither. The only people I've seen wear ties are bizjet pilots and half the time they look out of place and uncomfortable.

When I did an FAA check ride the inspector specifically told me, "do NOT dress up, I care about what you know and how you fly, not what you look like". Of course, this guy also wore jeans, boots, a flannel, and had a Gadsden flag on his desk... so he might not be typical.

I wore a tie on my commercial checkride. The examiner made fun of me a bit, but I think he appreciated it. I can't for the life of me remember what I wore on my CFI checkride.

I didn't watch the video, but will assume it's at least partially staged. While it may be an actual checkride, the participants had to know it was going to be on film. That would cause me to be extra prepared if I were the student.

I have had a variety of checkrides. My CFI was friendly with the DPE when I went on my PPL, so he stopped by with lunch and they bs'd while I ate. I had my books with me as a reference if I didn't know or wasn't sure of an answer, but I don't remember if I used them at all or not. The examiner had a yellow sheet of paper that he took notes on. We sat across a desk or small table, in a lounge at the airport FBO. He asked a question about a topic, then wrote a word or two to keep track of what we had covered. I think all told I was in and out in about 45 minutes. We (I) cancelled the flight due to approaching thunderstorms. I came back a couple of days later for the flight. The flight was fun, there are things I could have done better, and he called me on it (I made a nice engine out approach to a corn field, oblivious to the grass airport that was within gliding distance) and taught me a few things, but it was a comfortable, largely stress-free experience.

I've taken several exams in a 141 environment. They were unremarkable. I took my Commercial ride that was similar to the private. It was longer and more in-depth, but it was a similar set up. We stopped the checkride with a couple of landings still to do so he could get out and use the bathroom. Even though I got a little out of sorts during the cross country portion of my flight, I was able to over come it and pass.

A lesson from my CFI checkride... Don't open your mouth when you don't have to! Usually an examiner can tell how well you know the material fairly early on, and asks appropriate questions. Sometimes they are open-ended, sometimes they are factual yes/no type questions. Especially if you're unsure of an answer, don't ramble on. Answer a yes/no question with a yes or no. I find it hard to hold back, especially if I'm confident about the particular subject.

On my CFI oral, toward the end, the examiner said, "Answer yes or no to the next questions. Have you heard of the subject of (I don't remember any longer)?"

My answer, "Yes, it's....-"

"Yes or no. Do you know how to deal with it?"

"Yes."

"Okay. Let's go flying."

Rambling through an answer often leads the examiner to probe further. As I said earlier, the examiner usually gets a feel for how the checkride is going early on. While this will contradict the previous advice to a certain degree, if you are very confident in a subject, offering a little extra in an answer could help form a favorable impression in the early going.

I've never flown a checkride where I couldn't have been failed. Be it an altitude excursion to 120' or a temporary heading drift, there has probably been at least one moment on each checkride I've taken that could have resulted in a failure. The PTS gives quite a bit of latitude to the examiner to determine what is a bust. Usually, a pattern of exceeding PTS limits, or a large, uncorrected deviation will result in a bust, whereas something minor with active correction doesn't. I've always gone to the airplane knowing the oral has been passed, but even when fairly confident about my performance, I'm never sure until the examiner says congratulations at the end. My ATP (I took a single engine checkride with my original DPE) and following type rides, I've been pretty sure about, and no longer get too worked up over exams.

When you get to your instrument rating, I think flying wise, it's one of the easiest rides. Instrument flying is all about precision, which with practice comes easily. For me, an instrument rating is far more about learning new rules and procedures.

For most of my advanced rides, I've been given the flight sequence in advance...maneuvers, approaches, etc. It allowed me to set up for approaches and such as early as possible. I think that helps mitigate the fact that in most real instrument flying, you have awhile enroute to set up and brief the approach. Finally, the test is not so much checking at your ability to adapt to change and surprise. When you're recommended for a checkride, the CFI is saying you meet all the PTS standards already, and are competent for said rating. The examiner is the final seal of approval.

DPE's I've had have been good guys. They want to see that you have the ground and flight knowledge, and that you are a safe pilot. I didn't watch the video because just from the frame it looked like a really uptight uncomfortable oral, which makes me think its staged. When I did my private I remember the examiner insisting that I eat the other half of his sandwich, I had been waiting for a few hours and only had a protein bar. When I would set the sandwich down for a bit, between questions, he insisted I take another bite and then he would proceed. They're people too, maybe I've been fortunate to get the good ones. That being said yes they will hold you to pts. If I wasn't ready for the oral or flight he would have failed me. I wouldn't sweat it to too much for pvt or instrument, I think mine were about 1.0-1.5. And some of that time was just chatting about ourselves and small talk, which I think they use especially for newer pilots to help them relax. Don't over think it. Do some mock checkrides with instructors other than your own. Go into it confident but not arrogant. Confidence goes a long way, if you're unsure of yourself then the examiner can begin to lose confidence in you acting as pic.

Back