The New Cirrus Jet

Whats a "professional"?
Whats a "amature"?

I would bet that most of the VLJ's operating will have a paid commercial pilot on board.

Anyways, why do people think that having a commercial certificate=professional pilot? I've know guys that dont have a commercial license, but could fly circles around senior 777 captains.

Ive met many commercial pilots who are far from professional aviators. There is a guy at my home airport who has more money than he knows what to do with. He has ratings through his ATP but when it all boils down he is an amature...and flies like one. I could see him with a Cirrus Jet when he gets tired of playing with his King Air.

Citationkid,
Cirrus will probably have some very tough factory training. I think that they have good training but you just cant untrain stupid. My experience with people who fly Cirruses as personal airplanes is that they feel like they're gods gift to aviation and most are idiots. It makes sense why Cirrus has a high accident rate. Sad.

Anyone else feel that if it has the capability of flying in the flight levels, there should be some type-specific training?

Maybe change the criteria for a type-rating to include turbine-engined aircraft with advanced avionics, complex systems and ability to mix it up with us?

Couldn't agree more. . .

I see all of these VLJ's as safety hazards, for me, the flying public, and people on the ground.

Couldn't agree more. . .

I see all of these VLJ's as safety hazards, for me, the flying public, and people on the ground.

No more so then 800 hour co-pilots:) I used to feel the same way, but aslong as the training is as rigorous for all of the jets as it is for the Eclipse, I do not think it will be that big of a deal. There are already over three hundred VLJs flying, how many people have been killed? I will give you a hint, it is less than 1.

Alex.

Couldn't disagree more....

I'm curious why you think that.

Glad you disagree. I've voiced my concerns over these death traps for a few months now.

If millionaires have issues flying their 182's around at 6500ft, I can only imagine the fun they'll have at FL250 and the chaos they will be able to develop.

These are the same idiots that can't operate with any sense of radio tact in a Class E atmosphere, a traffic pattern, and now we're going to welcome them with open arms into Class A airspace?

Yipee.

Glad you disagree. I've voiced my concerns over these death traps for a few months now.

If millionaires have issues flying their 182's around at 6500ft, I can only imagine the fun they'll have at FL250 and the chaos they will be able to develop.

These are the same idiots that can't operate with any sense of radio tact in a Class E atmosphere, a traffic pattern, and now we're going to welcome them with open arms into Class A airspace?

Yipee.

tap on the brakes a little

This isnt anything new. A lot of the potential buyers have been flying Kingairs and twin Cessnas in the flight levels for years. I dont think people are going to be jumping from a 182 to a VLJ.

I dont see why just because someone is a millionare that equates to them being a bad pilot. I have met some dirt poor piss poor pilots. :)

Yipee.

I have to admit, I chuckle when I hear initial radio calls like...

"ABC Approach, N1234x is a red and white Diamond Star DA40-180 with four seats and three bags in the back. We're at 3,491 feet over Main Street in Podunk, NC and we'd like flight following from here to the Applebees on Smith road in Dallas. Over."

-mini

tap on the brakes a little

This isnt anything new. A lot of the potential buyers have been flying Kingairs and twin Cessnas in the flight levels for years. I dont think people are going to be jumping from a 182 to a VLJ.

I dont see why just because someone is a millionare that equates to them being a bad pilot. I have met some dirt poor piss poor pilots. :)

And surely they would be wise enough to keep utilizing their King Airs or Twin Cessna's that offer substantially more room for payload than some extremely tiny Civic in the sky (any VLJ except the Mustang).

The reason I didn't utilize poor pilots as flying these damn contraptions is because they simply can't afford it.

And surely they would be wise enough to keep utilizing their King Airs or Twin Cessna's that offer substantially more room for payload than some extremely tiny Civic in the sky (any VLJ except the Mustang).

The reason I didn't utilize poor pilots as flying these damn contraptions is because they simply can't afford it.

I agree with your point that a King air is a much better plane in many aspects, but you implied that its a bunch of rouge pilots up in the flight levels. The VLJ's will probably be much more simple to fly than a King air, and I know its gonna be less of a handful than say a 414/421.

I think people have the idea that a wet ink private pilot is going to go to the Honda dealership and order a brand new Honda Jet. This will not happen. I dont think insurance companies are going to allow it.

Like another poster said, these VLJ companies are going to have extensive training and supply mentor pilots to fly 50-100 hours with these guys.

Back