The Mighty Twin Beech

See if this works....

Attachments

• DSC00162.jpg
    DSC00162.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 90
Ouch...

But not that bad. Little patchwork to the cowls, 2 engines, 2 props... and good to go!

The one I flew had a gear up incident before I started flying it full time. That is about the extent of the repair bill...

Yeah, not too bad. About 35K each for the engines, another 10 or 15 for the props, a couple more grand for some sheet metal work, 100 hours or so of labor--should be back in the air for only about 100K or so.

Gear are electrically operated. Can't imagine them coming up by themselves on take-off, unless the gear lever was up during the takeoff roll and the gear retracted when the wings started taking some of the weight off the gear. You're supposed to check for a gear down and locked indication when you turn on the master....

Gear are electrically operated. Can't imagine them coming up by themselves on take-off, unless the gear lever was up during the takeoff roll and the gear retracted when the wings started taking some of the weight off the gear. You're supposed to check for a gear down and locked indication when you turn on the master....

That is the only thing I could think of. Know one that happened to. CP decided to "show off" and put the gear lever in the up position early, hit a bump, gear retracted before the airplane was ready to fly and...

Though that might not be the case here due to the tailwheel being down, but then I remembered that some of the military versions had an STC to fly with the tailwheel locked in the down position and not retract at all.

The 18 has a place in my heart, as it was the first picture I ever sold...

Out to pasture in KLCI... two good engines, just needs a spar job

beech18.jpg

The 18 has a place in my heart, as it was the first picture I ever sold...

Out to pasture in KLCI... two good engines, just needs a spar job

beech18.jpg

Spar job as in it needs a new one? (Then it is cooked)
Or, it needs the xray?
How long has this one been silent?

Great pic!

AD for the series, x-ray and some bracing i believe... I heard it's in the neighborhood of 60-70k to do... It was flown in I'd like to say in 2000 ish, with some work done to it, but been to pasture since then. (Secretly, I hope that it will sit another 10 only to be picked up for a restore by me :) ) I would wish to believe for the price of a new Barron or such, that a restore could be done.

It does have some damage history to go along with it as well.

The current owner bought it to fix it up, and for at least the first few years I was there, tame and turned the engines by hand to move the oil through the seals and such, but beyond that, I think he lost his medical etc.. so It will prob. die there unless somebody (me) has the time and money for a project...

The strap should already be there then. Maybe just xray.

Would make a cool family truckster. (If you have the cabbage)

AD for the series, x-ray and some bracing i believe... I heard it's in the neighborhood of 60-70k to do... It was flown in I'd like to say in 2000 ish, with some work done to it, but been to pasture since then. (Secretly, I hope that it will sit another 10 only to be picked up for a restore by me :) ) I would wish to believe for the price of a new Barron or such, that a restore could be done.

It does have some damage history to go along with it as well.

The current owner bought it to fix it up, and for at least the first few years I was there, tame and turned the engines by hand to move the oil through the seals and such, but beyond that, I think he lost his medical etc.. so It will prob. die there unless somebody (me) has the time and money for a project...

You could probably restore that for wayyyyy less than a new Baron will cost you.

Insurance is a shocker with these though.
As well as the 52 gallons per hour. (@26.5" mp IIRC)
And don't forget 9 gallons per side oil. It was funny to see a ramper approach these with a few quarts of oil under his arm. You can only shake your head and grin. Gallons baby! If it aint drippin, its out!

Question about the left side of the nose up top- I think you called it a lightbar? What's that?

Insurance is a shocker with these though.
As well as the 52 gallons per hour. (@26.5" mp IIRC)
And don't forget 9 gallons per side oil. It was funny to see a ramper approach these with a few quarts of oil under his arm. You can only shake your head and grin. Gallons baby! If it aint drippin, its out!

Insurance can be quite a shocker. Glad I was grandfathered in when insurance rates skyrockted a couple of years ago.

As far as fuel flow is concerned, that sounds about right. Used to flight plan "working nights" at 60 gph for a buffer. Enroute, you could get it donw in the 40 to 45 range, less if you have really good fuel flow gauges and really good engine instruments and are willing to sacrifice TAS (killer tailwind type stuff).

The cheapest way to buy oil for any radial is to buy in bulk (50 gallon drums) and then carry a couple of smaller 1 to 2 gallon jugs with you everywhere you go. Saves a lot of time and hastle with line crews that don't know what a radial engine is even though they are staring at two of them (had that happen :banghead:).

Question about the left side of the nose up top- I think you called it a lightbar? What's that?

It is a precision guidance incidator (lightbar) for our onboard GPS spray navigation equipment. Gives you how far you are off course and angle to course in a series of colored lights. Really neat stuff...like flying a localizer on steroids (i.e. peak sensitivity) though. I had mine set so the first indicator light for off course would come on at 3 feet left or right of center.

It is a precision guidance incidator (lightbar) for our onboard GPS spray navigation equipment. Gives you how far you are off course and angle to course in a series of colored lights. Really neat stuff...like flying a localizer on steroids (i.e. peak sensitivity) though. I had mine set so the first indicator light for off course would come on at 3 feet left or right of center.

Me too, I cant fly straight enough to have the lights on one foot spacings. Tried it once and changed them right back.

Me too, I cant fly straight enough to have the lights on one foot spacings. Tried it once and changed them right back.

That was toooo quick! Most of our pilots ran it at 20 ft (we ran 1000 ft swath widths) and complained after I had to fly their airplane and adjusted it to said 3 feet! :D

Back