The little known saga of USMC LCpl and record-holding glider pilot, Howard Foote

MikeD

Administrator
Staff member
Nearly 30 years ago, an enlisted USMC aircraft mechanic and record-holding glider pilot stole a VMA-214 A-4M Skyhawk attack jet from the flight line of MCAS El Toro, Ca for a 40 minute night joyride over the Pacific Ocean, and returned safely to the base, before being arrested on the spot. This is his story, in today's "little known history of aviation events".

http://articles.latimes.com/1986-07-05/local/me-20219_1_el-toro

A record-breaking young glider pilot, now an enlisted flight mechanic, took an unauthorized pre-dawn joy ride Friday in an $18-million jet fighter based at El Toro Marine Corps Air Station, officials said.

He was identified as Lance Cpl. Howard A. Foote Jr., 21, of Los Alamitos. The Marine Corps said he donned a flight suit at 2 a.m. Friday and climbed aboard an unarmed A-4M Skyhawk. He took off from an unlighted
runway, flew about 50 miles and returned to the base half an hour later, officials said. They didn't know which direction he'd headed.

By the time he returned, Lt. Col. Jerry Shelton said, the lights on the runway had been turned on, but it took Foote five passes to land.

Foote was taken into custody and charged with wrongful appropriation of a government aircraft, Shelton said, a charge that carries with it a maximum sentence of two years in prison and a dishonorable discharge. He was taken to the stockade at Camp Pendleton.

The single-seat fighter, no longer in production, is part of the 214th Marine Attack Squadron, whose mission is to provide close air support to the 3rd Marine Aircraft Wing. Foote is normally assigned to station operations and maintenance for visiting aircraft.

Before joining the Marines in 1984, Foote broke several altitude records for glider pilots under the age of 21.
"I missed my senior prom because I was flying," Foote said in a 1984 interview before graduating from Los Alamitos High School.

Foote had hoped to be accepted into the Marine Corps' Enlisted Commissioning Program, with the ultimate goal of going to flight school, said Lt. Tim Hoyle, an El Toro public affairs officer.

However, Hoyle said Friday, while flying at 42,500 feet in a glider, Foote suffered an aerial embolism, a blockage in the bloodstream caused by lack of oxygen. It's an affliction similar to the "bends" suffered by divers.

"He found out recently that he probably wouldn't get accepted for flight school" as a result of the injury, Hoyle said.

Shelton said Foote, dressed in a flight suit, drove up to the plane in a vehicle used to ferry pilots. A sentry on duty noticed him climbing into the cockpit, Shelton said, but "he couldn't get his attention or stop him." Nighttime maintenance work on aircraft, Shelton said, was "not unusual."

Foote started the aircraft, which is self-starting and needs no assistance from the ground, and began taxiing down the runway.

"They knew something was wrong," Shelton said, since the field was closed at that time. No air traffic controllers were on duty, so the plane was not tracked by radar nor were any other planes sent up to pursue Foote. (No explanation was offered for the Marines' estimate that Foote flew 50 miles away.)

Shelton said said that it was not necessary to "talk" Foote down. "He got down on his own," Shelton said.

Foote did not seem to be drunk or under the influence of drugs when taken into custody, Shelton said, although blood and urine samples were taken. Results weren't available late Friday.

The aircraft, which was given a thorough inspection Friday, did not appear to be damaged.

While a student at Los Alamitos High School, Foote was no stranger to the inside of a cockpit. He broke his own California junior high-altitude record in 1984 when he flew a glider at 35,500 feet for 6 1/2 hours.

A number of his record-breaking efforts were sponsored by the American-British Stratospheric Soaring Project, which provided him with equipment, including a pressurized flight suit, an astronaut-type helmet and a parachute. The sponsoring group is made up of military personnel and civilian engineers.

Foote's interest in aviation began when he was 12 and started building model airplanes with his father. He joined the Long Beach Soaring Club in 1981, flying from the Los Alamitos Armed Forces Reserve Center.

The club was headed by a retired U.S. Naval commander who provided what Foote said was "almost military-like training." From 1981 to 1984 Foote was also a member of the Civil Air Patrol.

"I like to fly at high altitudes because there are so many things you have to watch and monitor, like reading the instrument panel and constantly paying attention to the rate of climb," Foote said in 1984.

Some of the best conditions for high-altitude flying, he said, were above the Mojave Desert in Kern County.

All charges against an El Toro Marine corporal who took a jet fighter on a Fourth of July joy ride have been dropped and he will be discharged from the military today, the Marine Corps announced Thursday.

"This was a very unusual case in which a Marine with a tremendous amount of skill and great potential did a very stupid thing which could have resulted in a tragic loss of life," Brig. Gen. D.E.P. Miller, commanding officer of the El Toro Marine Corps Air Station, said in a written statement.

Miller said the charges filed against Lance Cpl. Howard A. Foote Jr. "are very serious and his lack of judgment and violation of trust make it impossible to keep him in the Marine Corps.

"However, I feel that the 4 1/2 months he has served in confinement, coupled with an other-than-honorable discharge, will adequately serve justice in this case."

Parents Overjoyed

Shirley Foote said Thursday that she and her husband "are very overjoyed" that their son will be released today. "When we heard it, we were jumping in the air," she said.

She said she believed that what her son "went through was overkill on the part of the Marine Corps. I think they went overboard. It could have been handled a lot less detrimentally to both the Marines and our son."

The Marine Corps has said that Foote, 21, a Los Alamitos native and record-holding glider pilot before
entering the service in 1984, donned a flight suit at 2 a.m. on July 4 and climbed aboard an unarmed A-4M Skyhawk at the El Toro base. He took off from an unlighted runway and returned about 40 minutes later, flying over the base several times before landing.

At a hearing in August, an aviation maintenance officer at the base testified that the jet Foote flew was in need of repair. Maj. Frank B. Kennedy III testified that the aileron rigging on the plane was out of alignment and that the nose wheel steering mechanism was not working properly.

"From a maintenance standpoint, it was not a flyable airplane," Kennedy said.

Injury Kept Him Out

According to Foote's parents, he took the plane after finding out that an injury he had suffered during an attempt to break the world glider altitude record would prevent him from becoming a jet fighter pilot, a goal they say he had pursued since he was a young boy.

The dismissal of charges and Foote's discharge came about as a result of long negotiations between Marine Corps authorities and his defense attorneys, Michael J. Naughton of Laguna Hills and Capt. Brad Garber.

As part of the agreement, Foote wrote a letter of apology to Miller in which he said, "I realize now that my actions were not only foolhardy, but downright dangerous . . . even though I have some civilian pilot ratings and am qualified in a glider, this training is not sufficient for one to fly a high-performance military jet safely. .

"Though I would like to repay the Marine Corps for the problems I have created, I understand that it would be difficult for the Marine Corps to take me back."

Foote had been scheduled for a general court-martial next Wednesday on charges of misappropriating the $14-million, single-seat jet fighter and a maintenance truck he drove to the plane.

If he had been convicted, Foote could have faced a maximum sentence of nine years at hard labor, forfeiture of all pay, demotion to private and a dishonorable discharge.

Confined to Brig

Because there is no prison facility at the El Toro base, Foote, an aviation mechanic assigned to a base maintenance squadron at the time of the incident, had been confined in the brig at Camp Pendleton since his arrest.

Foote was originally charged with misappropriating the truck and plane, damaging the aircraft and disobeying regulations.

He also was charged with hazarding a vessel--flying without proper training or approval and recklessly disregarding the plane's mechanical condition. That charge technically could have resulted in the death penalty under centuries-old maritime law.

However, all the charges except those accusing him of misappropriating the plane and the truck were dismissed some time ago.

During Foote's pretrial hearing he was described as a dedicated Marine with a spotless service record who was highly motivated to become a fighter pilot.

Garber, his military attorney, said at that hearing that Foote's unauthorized flight should be treated for what it was--"a once-in-a-lifetime flight from reality . . . not a beginning of criminal conduct."

Last edited:
Immediately reminded me of the despondent crew chief at RAF Mildenhall who took off in a C-130 back in 1969. It crashed into the English Channel, but the rumors for years afterwards were that it was downed, possibly by 48th TFW Super Sabres out of RAF Lakenheath or RAF Lightnings depending on which stories you choose to believe.

Last edited:
Not sure what he is doing now but what a crazy story! Did a little googling and came across some info:

From the FAA airmen registry, last medical was 2010:

Search Results
Display Preference: HorizontalVertical
Total Names found is 1 based on search criteria provided above.
HOWARD ALLEN FOOTE

airmen.gif
Airman: HOWARD ALLEN FOOTE
Personal Information
HOWARD ALLEN FOOTE

County: RIVERSIDE
Medical
Medical Class: Third, Medical Date: 5/2010
MUST WEAR CORRECTIVE LENSES.
Certificates
PRIVATE PILOT
Date of Issue: 5/12/2010
Certificate: PRIVATE PILOT Print
Ratings:
PRIVATE PILOT
GLIDER

A small update from a 1991 LA Times article about him:

Once discharged from the Marine Corps, Foote attended Embry Riddle Aeronautic University in Florida and applied to the Israeli Air Force, an effort he subsequently abandoned because of the difficulty getting in.

He also turned his attention to developing a turbocharging system for a high-altitude internal-combustion engine--an idea frustrated when Boeing developed a workable design and put it in a plane called the Condor that reached 70,000 feet.

Then in 1992 this Orlando Sentinel article about him trying to break some sort of speed record:
Now out of uniform, Foote is attracting investors to build the world's first microwave-powered aircraft, which can stay aloft for long periods at high altitude, making it potentially useful for scientific research and military reconnaissance. Foote designed the unusual aircraft.
To make ends meet, Foote works at John Wayne Airport in Costa Mesa and is a test pilot for Experimental Aviation, a small aircraft company based in Santa Monica that makes such innovative airplanes as the Berkut, which means ''wolf'' in Russian.

Yea...I'm bored in the hotel during recurrent

Last edited:
Nearly 30 years ago, an enlisted USMC aircraft mechanic and record-holding glider pilot stole a VMA-214 A-4M Skyhawk attack jet from the flight line of MCAS El Toro, Ca for a 40 minute night joyride over the Pacific Ocean, and returned safely to the base, before being arrested on the spot. This is his story, in today's "little known history of aviation events".

Just proves if you do it enough times eventually you'll get caught.

Last edited:
So when both C-5 pilots are passed out asleep, and I am at the panel...can I get some stick time? :) I kid, I kid.

For years I've wanted to teach a class that is "Aviation History that no one will teach you 101". We all learn the Wright Brothers, Buzz Aldrin, etc... Not diminishing them, those are all significant events in history. However lesser known facts like this or that David Clark made undergarments before headsets, and Cessna reverse engineered a Luscombe to make the 120/140 are really interesting and you don't hear much about them unless you really do some reading and research.

Great post, MikeD.

For years I've wanted to teach a class that is "Aviation History that no one will teach you 101". We all learn the Wright Brothers, Buzz Aldrin, etc... Not diminishing them, those are all significant events in history. However lesser known facts like this or that David Clark made undergarments before headsets, and Cessna reverse engineered a Luscombe to make the 120/140 are really interesting and you don't hear much about them unless you really do some reading and research.

Great post, MikeD.

This is exactly the reason I was posting this. There are all kinds of events like these that fade into history, or were only known in the geographical area they occurred and then were forgotten. I love resurrecting these little known stories as they are both interesting and informative.

One of my next Aviation Accident analysis reports is just one of those.

He wasn't typed in the A-4 but as the only person on board I'd say he can log that time.

ToughMudder_Spiderman.jpg

Didn't the David Clark company (or whatever they were called at the time) also make parachutes for Allied pilots during the War?

Don't know about the parachutes, but they made pressure suits for the X-15.

yeah, and the U-2 and Oxcart programs as well.......actually I think they did for the original Mercury astronauts and maybe beyond that too?

(You quoted this, but it won't let me quote a quote:)
He also turned his attention to developing a turbocharging system for a high-altitude internal-combustion engine--an idea frustrated when Boeing developed a workable design and put it in a plane called the Condor that reached 70,000 feet.
That was pretty cool, because it led me to learning about a plane I had never even heard of:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_Condor

Our turn knob for the autopilot is within reach of the FE...
One of my professors in college, former Delta driver, liked to tell a story about falling asleep during a redeye, waking up and looking over to see the FO passed out, then turning further to see the wide-eyed new FE who had continued the flight solo for fear of waking the almighty captain.

Back