The importance of mentoring

Toria

The importance of mentoring cannot be understated. Although formal education and training can provide an initial start, it is actually our mentors that help us achieve advanced goals and move through our careers with grace and professionalism. The most amazing thing is mentors accept the task of teaching without tangible compensation, but only with a sincere desire to advance their profession to the highest degree and to pass personal knowledge to capable, responsible, professional individuals. It is because they care deeply for their chosen life’s work that mentors are willing to share with others. Mentors stop mentoring when they no longer feel they have anything constructive to contribute.

<O:p
Mentoring does not necessarily come with the face of a formal relationship. It can be provided during only brief contact or in passing. Constructive comments and non-personal criticism from people with great experience, wealthy knowledge, and those highly respected in their field is mentoring. Respectfully accepting mentored advice helps improve skill and the ability to manage oneself professionally. Mentoring can come at any time. It is the recipient who decides to accept mentoring advice respectfully and with grace, or with belligerence, resistance, anger, or sarcasm. It is never the mission of a mentor to belittle or cast down their professional colleagues. Their sole motivation is to help an individual improve. Mentors would not provide any perspective or comment if they didn’t care. It is because they care deeply that they share their experience and knowledge with others.

I owe much to my mentors, those with which I had formal relationships and those that helped me only in passing. Aviation is an arena where mentoring is exceedingly important. It cannot be understated how important it is to share knowledge and accept advice in a respectful, constructive, and uncomplaining way. It is easy to ignore that which would improve skill as it would take work to actually do it. We have much to share and much to learn from each other. I am grateful for the mentoring I have received here at JC. I am a better pilot, and perhaps person, for it.

Perhaps it is time to thank my mentors, as they might not be aware of the positive impact they have had in my life.

Amen, Toria! You're preaching to the choir (with me, at least). I'm afraid your message is lost on others, though.

I hope my mentors realize how much they've meant to me AND continue to mean to me as well. :) I have the utmost respect, admiration and deep affection and love for a certain two. :rawk:

I still get messages from individuals I helped in my previous professional careers. It's nice to hear that those I mentored are now achieving awards and recognition that I earned during my years spent in the military.

More recently, I've been in contact with a number of my previous students I taught how to fly a plane. It's a nice feeling to know you've helped someone achieve one of their many goals in life.

Here's to all instructors, teachers, mentors, and supporters. Without you, we wouldn't be where we are.

Good post Toria. I just started as a volunteer at Big Brothers of America. But don't tell that to some of the other guys, they think us regional captains are chest thumpers.

No but in all seriousness I agree very much with you. If it wasn't for My mom, my long time girlfriend at the time(behind every great man is an even greater women) and this site(Doug) I wouldn't be where I am today.

I feel being a role model is key to the success of a child that can go in either direction. I was one of those kids that could have easily gone either way.

I'm afraid your message is lost on others, though.
I doubt that....some just don't know how to say that they are appreciative but i'm sure lots of folks on the site here are even if they don't seem like it...and by saying the above, then you are in a sense, speaking for the masses are you not?

Mentoring is so very important...no matter what you want to learn and can learn from others or what expertise you already know that you can help others with.

I recently got into mentoring young aspiring musicians. It has actually opened up a new opportunity for me to head back to school to get my teaching credentials. Good post. :)

Thanks for posting that Toria. It's so much nicer to have posts and threads that are positive in tone rather than negative. Mentoring and helping others is one of those messages that cannot be stressed enough. It should cause all of us to ask ourselves what we've done today to encourage the people that follow us. "Am I being a help or a hindrance?" should cross our minds with every post we make.

afraid your message is lost on others, though.
[/QUOTE]

I doubt that....some just don't know how to say that they are appreciative but i'm sure lots of folks on the site here are even if they don't seem like it...and by saying the above, then you are in a sense, speaking for the masses are you not?

Mentoring is so very important...no matter what you want to learn and can learn from others or what expertise you already know that you can help others with.

I wasn't doubting the benefits of mentoring, Kristie. I was talking about Toria's point of accepting mentoring without belligerence, resistance, anger or sarcasm.

and i was rebutting your point when you said that Toria's message is lost on others...sometimes its just hard to see as some mentoring opportunities may be accepted outside of the website or on a personal basis etc...but we, here at JCHQ, see and hear that the notion and practice of mentoring is and has been accepted by folks all the time. so your sentence of it being lost on others is simply not entirely true...it may be lost on a few here and there but i really think that the percentage is pretty low.

and i was rebutting your point when you said that Toria's message is lost on others...sometimes its just hard to see as some mentoring opportunities may be accepted outside of the website or on a personal basis etc...but we, here at JCHQ, see and hear that the notion and practice of mentoring is and has been accepted by folks all the time. so your sentence of it being lost on others is simply not entirely true...it may be lost on a few here and there but i really think that the percentage is pretty low.

:confused: I don't think she meant anything malice by her statement.

:confused: I don't think she meant anything malice by her statement.

Of course not. :eek:

Kristie is just providing a little bit more insight into the realities of JetCareers.

I'll forever be thankful to a couple members for their guidance, time, and the opportunities they've presented to me.

Back