The Great Blackout of 2003

lilrkt

So, any interresting experiences from yesterday or today? I am about 55 miles north of Detroit so my power was only out for about 10 minutes, but my work's power was out for about 24 hours. (Royal Oak, MI) Since we are a computer based company that really threw a wrench into things and I am now working late tonight to try to remedy some of it. I know that several airports were shut down to minimal operation. Just wondering how everyone else was affected.

Well I was not effected as bad as you - however it was not pleasant wacthing these news people go on and on about it/ How come papers can tell the story in an article of 12-20 paragraphs, but the news people (who have moving images - which should be worth 24,000 words per second) go on and on about it for hours!!

I will be pleased when it is over.

The Blackout sucked.
I was flying at the time, didn't realize there was a problem till I was parking the plane.

I just got my power back about an hour ago (6:30pm Eastern Time).

Yeah I know what you mean. I got the barrage while I was driving today. Fortunately I dont have television, so I don't have to see them too.

We lost power, grounded our fleet and waited...my power came back on at 11PM last night..so it wasn't too bad..although other parts of Long Island were not as lucky..

My freakin flight got cancelled out of SNA for JFK at 9:15pm. No flights availible till Sunday which does me no good because I planned the trip over a month ago and all the details are planned out. The worst part is American won't refund my money. it's not my fault I can't go any other time. I bought a ticket for that date and time. Not another, yet their excuse is its not their fault either. What choice do I have. The same scenario goes for the hotel we reserved, and the shuttle service that was supposed to pick us up at the airport. I have to literally pay from my pocket on the west coast, for a black out that happend on the east coast and it had nothing to do with me.

On top of it all, I missed my train this morning. That was my fault. I wish I could just forget about this whole week.

My power was only out for 6 hours so it was pretty uneventful for me. Nice candle-lit dinner though!
laugh.gif

About 14 hours here (queens, NYC). It took some people I know 4 hours to walk home about 10 miles away because of the lack of transportation. The subway system is still shut down here.

I'm about 45 mins west of Detroit and I was without power till about 11 this morning. my roommates and i just chilled and grilled on the porch last night and enjoyed life. My family though lives 45 mins north east of us and didn't get power back until 4 this afternoon and still doesn't have water (we did through the whole thing) lucky for them, there is a 30,000 gallon pool in the backyard they can chill in and use to flush the toilets with.
tongue.gif

Skibum

[ QUOTE ]
The worst part is American won't refund my money. it's not my fault I can't go any other time. I bought a ticket for that date and time. Not another, yet their excuse is its not their fault either.

[/ QUOTE ]

grin.gif
Let me just give u a little advice. This not only goes for AA, but for all airlines. If it isn't mechanical related then it's not their fault. That's what they say..basically, it's true...

[ QUOTE ]
Let me just give u a little advice. This not only goes for AA, but for all airlines. If it isn't mechanical related then it's not their fault. That's what they say..basically, it's true...

[/ QUOTE ]

What a big surprise, an amployee defending the company. Let me give you some advice. When someone buys a ticket for a particular time and date its for a reason. I understand it wasn't there fault but they must understand that any other time is no good to their customers. The least they could have done was get me on the next flight. I bought these tix over a month ago.

While this happend I kept thinking about all those bastards with their lears and G-4's not being affected by this. Damnnnnnnnnn it!

[ QUOTE ]

While this happend I kept thinking about all those bastards with their lears and G-4's not being affected by this.

[/ QUOTE ]

um well thats hardly the case no one was doing much flying into the northeast.

My sister lost power for about a little over a day, I love teasing her, she thinks New York is the center of the universe. She thought the power loss effected every place, told her that California was just fine. I then told her that I had to lower the airconditioner so that I would be able to hear her a little better.

I live on Long Island, and I got power back friday morning. The worst part about the whole thing was that it took me 2.5 hours to drive like 10 miles home from work! This should be a wake-up call to everyone that something must be done to fix our country's old power system.

I was one of the lucky ones...

I was in Manhattan 8/13 - 8/15. My flight from LGA to BOS was scheduled for 8pm 8/15.

I left Manhattan at 3:15pm enroute to LGA. Manhattan's power was fully restored at this time. I arrived at LGA to a HUGE line of people waiting at the US Air Shuttle line. I found out that my flight was cancelled b/c LGA still did not have power.

The gate agents announced that we all had to call US Air's 800 number to rebook our flights as their computers were down. I was rescheduled for an 8am flight to BOS on Saturday 8/16. The problem with this is that there were no hotels available at all, no buses were running to BOS, no trains back to BOS, and all of the rental cars were rented. Basically, I was stranded at LGA with no where to go or sleep.

I decided to continue waiting in the line to see if any further developments occured. After 25 mins or so the gate agent split us into two lines: one for BOS and the other for Washington DC. The next thing I know a gate agent comes up to us in line and hands us luggage tags. I was pretty psyched at this point. A few minutes later I was called to the counter to receive my boarding pass and was told to quickly make my way to security for screening. There was a flight leaving for Boston!!!

I went through security and boarded an unannounced flight to BOS at 5pm...a full three hours before I was supposed to leave LGA!

Another reason why US Air is my favorite airline (shameless plug!!!)

Back