The dreaded CFI binder.

Embrace the binder I say. I referred back to it many times during my teaching days - perhaps because I was so proud of my drawings ;) - but it really was useful to have. I am a visual learner as well, so it helps me write content down and make my own notes.

And it was more than just notes and lesson plans, I put in articles, safety bulletins, etc. as well for further reference. Just see it as huge resource and you'll be fine.

Page 13 of the current CFI Airplane PTS says:

"The practical test is passed if, in the judgment of the examiner, the
applicant demonstrates satisfactory performance with regard to:

9. Knowledge of the development and effective use of a
course of training, a syllabus, and a lesson plan."

While not specifically called out as an Area of Operation that you are directly evaluated on during the checkride, this statement in and of itself does make the need for lesson plans (binders) necessary.

Piece of advice:
when developing your lesson plans, use FAA references, PHAK, Airplane Flying Handbook, AIM, CFRs , PTS, and pay attention to the Special Emphasis Areas and include a section on them (where applicable) in your lesson plan. This will go far in establishing credibility and your understanding of the tools of the trade.

And it was more than just notes and lesson plans, I put in articles, safety bulletins, etc. as well for further reference. Just see it as huge resource and you'll be fine.

I had all that stuff too. I kept all my notes from my CFI certs. In a binder too. But I never saw the benefit of me making a binder of lesson plans, when most schools teach out of a pre canned book any way. I never taught at a school that didn't. And the free lance stuff I did, I used either Jeppesen or Cessna products. The way I see it, they can probably do a much better job than I can. It may not be perfect, but if rather tweak theirs than come up with some mess of my own.

Outside of bringing them to my CFI check rides, I never used my own lesson plans when I was free lancing (most of the guys I was instructing already purchased King or Sporty's kits so I used their stuff) and the flight schools I have worked at have all, just like @mshunter said, given me the ones they wanted me to use.

On my CFI initial the examiner looked over my prepared lesson plans, made a few comments, asked me a few questions, then proceeded to have me write up new ones for a few maneuvers and then use those handwritten ones to brief him on the ground and then demonstrate them in the plane. My CFI binder is mostly just full of the odd reference and memory aid plus a few articles torn from magazines that had useful information, I long ago freed up space in it by tossing out the unused lesson plans that I spent weeks agonizing over creating.

+1 on keeping notes. I would make notes based on my lesson plan just to check I had most of it in my head (as if teaching it on a piece of A4 with the student across the desk) but then revise the notes by going over them again.

The IPad people wondered what I was doing, but writing things down makes it go into my brain better. Same for Sheppardair, I tried some of the memorisation for the ATP written, but much prefer the practice tests and writing down the corrections to the errors, and taking another practice test, it may take longer but it went in better...

Alex.

But I never saw the benefit of me making a binder of lesson plans, when most schools teach out of a pre canned book any way. I never taught at a school that didn't.

Agreed, the lesson plans shouldn't really be a part of the binder process. I guess you need to reference a subject somehow, but beyond that I'd say I wasted time typing up individual lesson plans. Though I was fairly wise and used a template and changed minor details from within the PTS.

Agreed, the lesson plans shouldn't really be a part of the binder process. I guess you need to reference a subject somehow, but beyond that I'd say I wasted time typing up individual lesson plans. Though I was fairly wise and used a template and changed minor details from within the PTS.

I wouldn't say it was a waste of time.

Hate to say it but I think I I think it's falling into place for me. I've spent the last few weeks really attacking it. I still have to finesse some things. And I'm going to replace some of my "art" with the diagrams from the PHAK and Flying Handbook.

Unfortunately I'm going to put it off for next week. I more or less suffered from binder burn out. This week is going to re-reading the PHAK and Flying Handbook.

Time to hole up at Starbucks or my favorite downtown coffee place.

This is from my experience almost 20 years ago, but a) never had a selection of pre-prepared lesson plans. CFI and II orals required preparing one or two at the time of the oral. B) Having said that, later on while instructing I could have used said binder to refresh my memory as needed before a lesson. It would have made life a lot easier, even while using Cessna or Jeppesson format. I wish I had something like that as a reference now.

This is from my experience almost 20 years ago, but a) never had a selection of pre-prepared lesson plans. CFI and II orals required preparing one or two at the time of the oral. B) Having said that, later on while instructing I could have used said binder to refresh my memory as needed before a lesson. It would have made life a lot easier, even while using Cessna or Jeppesson format. I wish I had something like that as a reference now.

I have a feeling my checkride coming up will go this way. So if you're supposed to come up with 2 lesson plans on the spot is that stuff supposed to be from memory? Or is it, sit down and look at the books and write me a good lesson plan?

My books were always available to me during the checkrides. I didn't carry those things in there for nothing, you know. But to be honest, you should be able to come up with a basic skeleton of a lesson plan for something like a steep turn on the fly. Your error will come in trying to include too much detail. It's supposed to be an outline and a reference only.

Using other peoples stuff lends itself to not being able to find something on the check ride, which the examiner will not like. If you do, make sweet sweet love to the material everyday so you don't end up pulling the "I know it's in here somewhere." Prepping for the CFI is tons of work but the check ride itself is probably right behind multi add on in terms of how easy it is. It's more of an endurance test than anything.

Using other peoples stuff lends itself to not being able to find something on the check ride, which the examiner will not like. If you do, make sweet sweet love to the material everyday so you don't end up pulling the "I know it's in here somewhere." Prepping for the CFI is tons of work but the check ride itself is probably right behind multi add on in terms of how easy it is. It's more of an endurance test than anything.
If my memory serves me correctly, the impression I got from my CFI, II, and MEI checkrides was that they were looking for a confident application of knowledge.

I still have a copy of one of my old paper CFI certificates, so you might need to take my advice with a grain of salt.

Last edited:
I found CFII tough, but then instrument proficiency tends to go away quicker than for CFiA which is more or less commercial maneuvers. The MEi was the easiest. I just found my paper PPL, most of the people I trained with have cert numbers in the 300s, guess I got in there early starting 267.

Alex.

If my memory serves me correctly, the impression I got from my CFI, II, and MEI checkrides was that they were looking for a confident application of knowledge.

I would go father and say confidence when you know it, humble when you don't, and where to find it when you need it. Unfortunately, a lot of examiners who do CFI rides, expect perfection. And that's just not reasonable. I would say that the majority of busts come from CFI rides.

Back