The Drama Continues ...

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
But regardless, unless you are still claimed as a dependant on someone else's income taxes in another state, you are a resident of CA if you live here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually you have to live in California for 1 year to be considered a resident of California, and you need to be able to prove it.. ie: drivers, license, utility bill, etc.

Ryan

[/ QUOTE ]

Not according to the DMV. Once you take a job, get a drivers licence, or after 2 weeks from the time you move in to an address in CA you become a resident. However, for financial purposes you must be a resident for one year in order to qualify for Cal Grants and such, or to qualify for in-state tuition.

Well since we are talking about school here I would say its a safe bet that the 1 yr requirement applies to our finincial aspects of what protection we fall under while attending Sierra.

Ryan

I don't know anything about California law. But I would rather have my money out of there, than hope that I will get it back in the future. If they go bankrupt, it could easily take months to get your money back, if it is indeed insured as others have said. If you are wrong, you will be out thousands of dollars. If you don't think it can happen, just look at the 'Screwed by ATA' forum.

I personally looked at Sierra back in late 1999/early 2000. I was profoundly unimpressed. Their facilities and aircraft were in bad shape then. I can only imagine what another 4 years of neglect have done. Since there are enough other good flight schools out there, I do not see any reason to 'stick around' and see what happens. Take your money and go somewhere else.

"Their facilities and aircraft were in bad shape then"

They always have the coolest ads and make the greatest claims in Flight Training mag, though....

Back